Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

FWIW, the incident I referred to involved an inquiry by two English people of my South African friend.

My friend has a fairly raunchy sense of humor and I had to remind him that he had what Americans hear as a British accent which is associated with culture and breeding -- not dirty jokes.

Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
+1

Brits have to remember that to the American, who does not travel abroad all that often, the accents from Australian, Britian, South Africa sound similar. Yes, I'm sure that the more enlightened American knows about regional accents in each country but on the whole the accent does sound British.

Of course, as Brits you are more familiar with your accents and the regional dialects so the question of "are you from Australia" hits you as an insult that someone cannot immediately get where you are from.

Actually the shopkeeper hit it on the head and you were the one who was a bit arrogant in your unsaid thoughts. If you can't tell the difference in accents between a Northern and Southern then you don't know the diversity of the American accents.

BTW where was the humour in your post?
I can actually tell the difference between a northern and southern accenct I can even tell the difference between a New Yorker and a Bostonian
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london66
I can actually tell the difference between a northern and southern accenct I can even tell the difference between a New Yorker and a Bostonian
I could do that before I even visited the US, let alone lived here. It's not that hard when you watch as much TV as I did
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Imagine if they thought you were from Spain

Then you could give them a lecture about how horrible foreigners are and throw them out of the town ...
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:51 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO I think that attitude is one that can be applied to a very small fraction of American people.

BTW my Canadian husband now living in Mississippi was told this weekend that he has a New York accent.
The one that always throws me is the New Orleans accent. South Africa is not an easy one for me to differentiate unless they say South Effrica,
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:56 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
Wicked

I was introduced to an American at a party, as being from Britain, and she immediately asked if I could do an Austrailian accent
Now, that is not surprising to me at all, my Brit will do different accents of former colonies. Chances are pretty good he's going to do it better than I will.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I used to know this (having been a Youth Hostel warden for twelve years.) I think you had to get them to say "sex" or "eggs" .. or maybe it was "six" not "sex."
I think when Kiwis say six it sounds like sex
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I have a hard time imagining an American getting pissy about a mistake in identifying their accent. The only people I've met (with foreign accents) who got bent out of shape about such a mistake were the Irish, British, Australians and South Africans. Maybe it denotes a lack of national pride on our part? Of course, southerners and Texans get a lot of flack from the rest of the country, but nobody gets up tight because someone mistakes an Arkansan accent for one from Georgia. So, london66, if you're hoping to insult somebody, I think you're SOL.
Mistake a southerner for a northerner on the other hand
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:08 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Bob
Mistake a southerner for a northerner on the other hand
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO I think that attitude is one that can be applied to a very small fraction of American people.
Those that are, are probably the ones that can not even get the continent right. That's all I expect, the right continent.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london66
...I can even tell the difference between a New Yorker and a Bostonian
That's probably because folks from Southie don't know how to talk properly
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

I was born near London, moved to South Africa at the age of 8, but spent most of my adult life in Scotland (until we moved here). South Africans think I sound English, the English think I sound South African, Americans think I sound Australian and the Scots don't know what to think. If asked, I generally say I'm from "East Texas" - this has the desired result of making them change the subject ...or go away.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Brits have to remember that to the American, who does not travel abroad all that often, the accents from Australian, Britian, South Africa sound similar. Yes, I'm sure that the more enlightened American knows about regional accents in each country but on the whole the accent does sound British.

Of course, as Brits you are more familiar with your accents and the regional dialects so the question of "are you from Australia" hits you as an insult that someone cannot immediately get where you are from.

Actually the shopkeeper hit it on the head and you were the one who was a bit arrogant in your unsaid thoughts. If you can't tell the difference in accents between a Northern and Southern then you don't know the diversity of the American accents.

BTW where was the humour in your post?
the humour (spelt with a u) was in the sarcasim another thing Americans don't seem to get - I was being sarcastic that all Americans sound the same -which they don't - but that is why I said that everybody sounds the same.

What kind of annoys me is that everyone thinks I'm Australian, why? I ve been here 10 years. There are so many Brits here - especially around Boston due to Biotech industry but every one thinks your from Australia - is it due to Crocadile Dundee - tosser if it is.

Brendan
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Before he moved to the UK my DH couldn't tell the difference between S African and Aussie. He can now. However neither of us can tell the difference between Kiwi & Aussie. I can't tell the difference between Canadian & American but he can. All I know is they say 'hoose' for 'house.'

DH has got a lot better at UK regional accents now and can definitely tell Scots and Welsh and N Irish (slightly different to Rep. of Ireland accent). He can also often tell West Country/Norfolk (similar), Scouse, Geordie, Brummie, Yorkshire/Manchester. When I first met him he thought the band Oasis were from London (they are Mancunians)!

For those that can't tell, both Oz and S African are fairly nasal but S African is much more so.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
I used to know this (having been a Youth Hostel warden for twelve years.) I think you had to get them to say "sex" or "eggs" .. or maybe it was "six" not "sex."
Pronunciation of the word "out" is the only way I, personally, can tell a Canadian from an American. Canadians pronounce it more like "oot" - other than that, except for those from Quebec having the French-Canadian accent, I find it hard to differentiate one from the other, language-wise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.