Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Has anybody else been using Patreon

Has anybody else been using Patreon

Old Dec 21st 2018, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anybody else been using Patreon

Seemed a good idea when I came across it and had an account, now seems to have gone into meltdown, all self inflicted.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anybody else been using Patreon

I've noticed some people using this as a funding system for their art?
Is that what you mean? I don't know much about it to be honest.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 10:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Most Youtubers use it to supplement ad revenue.

How is it in meltdown?
Old Dec 21st 2018, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Well I came across it as I am a Military History geek and this guy produced good content and I wanted to contribute: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfZ...SJ2rtcEJHM2kCg

I think he was doing quite well through Patreon, must be very time consuming to do this stuff. If you pay for Netflix why not this. There are some benefits like early access and seemed a good way of helping people produce the stuff you like.

Anyway as these things do that led me to Naomi Wu and I thought it was just a pervy sort of channel but turns out be legit, she had been deplatformed, a new term to me as well. Anyway I found this which seems to explain what happened better than I could and includes another term doxing that I had to look up.

Strike me that Silicon Valley is becoming the new Hollywood McCarthyism, seems this is just the tip of the iceberg, anybody they do not approve of they lash out at. The amusing thing is that a lot of these things did not happen on their own site, like having your BE account deleted because a Mod did not like what you said on Facebook. I had sort of read similar things about other E Sites and thought these things had been blown up but looks like I was wrong.

I was also reminded of a story I had read about how the Chinese reward and punish you for you online presence and how it ties in with the Party, bad enough when it happens in China.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 12:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I did. I’ve now closed it over the Sargon deplatforming as have many others.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

I have been reading up on Sargon which of course leads you through many other sources I have not come across. I have come across Trust and Safety in other business contexts and came to the conclusion it is one of those US terms that means the exact opposite of what should be its meaning.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 4:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have been reading up on Sargon which of course leads you through many other sources I have not come across. I have come across Trust and Safety in other business contexts and came to the conclusion it is one of those US terms that means the exact opposite of what should be its meaning.
It’s a bit like “Health and Safety” is rolled out as an excuse in the UK - a catch-all term for “things we don’t like”. The Sargon incident is purely political.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

I was pinging around last night and forget who said what.

One thing I came across was how the CEO of the Tech companies talk to each other, seems that PayPal may be behind a lot of this. The legalities could be amusing.

Another guy who seems to have a lot of followers and apparently is currently at least Patreon approved is mulling over what to do, after all a significant chunk of his income comes from Patreon, and he has been hit by sponsors deleting their accounts because they also support people who have been banned so it impacts him. And also made the point who knows when it will be his turn.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was pinging around last night and forget who said what.

One thing I came across was how the CEO of the Tech companies talk to each other, seems that PayPal may be behind a lot of this. The legalities could be amusing.

Another guy who seems to have a lot of followers and apparently is currently at least Patreon approved is mulling over what to do, after all a significant chunk of his income comes from Patreon, and he has been hit by sponsors deleting their accounts because they also support people who have been banned so it impacts him. And also made the point who knows when it will be his turn.
I suspect you’re talking about Dave Rubin. He interviewed the CEO of Patreon a while ago who claimed he was a champion of free speech. The coordination between all these companies is patently obvious and it does begin to raise anti-trust issues, i.e. their actions over Subscribestar.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I suspect you’re talking about Dave Rubin. He interviewed the CEO of Patreon a while ago who claimed he was a champion of free speech. The coordination between all these companies is patently obvious and it does begin to raise anti-trust issues, i.e. their actions over Subscribestar.
I have not seen his stuff, a different side to YouTube I have not looked at, here it is: