Gun Ownership

Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun Ownership

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I switched a 43 for the 19 Gen5 a couple of months ago. My hands are smaller so not having the finger grooves helps with my grip. The Gen5 has an ambidextrous slide stop, so my leftie son can use efficiently.
My EDC is a 43, while it's true that you lose some capacity with the increased conceal-ability, I also carry a spare mag. If I can't fix the problem in 12+1 then I probably need to be calling the cavalry.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
My EDC is a 43, while it's true that you lose some capacity with the increased conceal-ability, I also carry a spare mag. If I can't fix the problem in 12+1 then I probably need to be calling the cavalry.
I mistakenly thought that for a woman, a smaller firearm would be better. I started with the Kimber Micro, then I tried the 43, but found that the recoil on both was an issue. I don't have any problems with the 19, except as you say, not so easy to conceal!
Old Nov 26th 2017, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I mistakenly thought that for a woman, a smaller firearm would be better. I started with the Kimber Micro, then I tried the 43, but found that the recoil on both was an issue. I don't have any problems with the 19, except as you say, not so easy to conceal!
Recoil has more to do with the bullet than the firearm used to fire it, and, other things being equal (same ammunition), a larger (actually "heavier") firearm will give less recoil than a smaller firearm.

Choosing ammo with a lighter bullet (for most calibres/cartridge size, there are multiple choices of bullet weight) and lower speed/less propellant also reduces recoil.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 26th 2017 at 4:32 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

More mass in the gun from a physics point of vew counts, also felt recoil which may be how you hold a particular gun.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Recoil has more to do with the bullet than the firearm used to fire it, and, other things being equal (same ammunition), a larger firearm will give less recoil than a smaller firearm.

Choosing ammo with a lighter bullet (for most calibres/cartridge size, there are multiple choices of bullet weight) and lower speed/less propellant also reduces recoil.
That was my error, not listening- bigger, in my case, is better. I used 9x19 FMJ for range practice for both the G43 and the G19. The 19 is more comfortable despite being bigger and heavier.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:38 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a range and shot rifles for the very first time in my life today. I was shooting at paper targets to about 50 yards indoors. My perceptions of various firearms as a first time shooter:

AR15 (Colt LE6920, essentially a semiautomatic version of the military M4) chambered in 5.56x45mm (aka .223 Nato). The one I borrowed had a large scope of some variety on it. This is the most popular type of rifle sold in the US. Ergonomically, it's somewhat complicated for someone entirely new to firearms like me. I eventually figured out all of the controls and was shooting and reloading well by the end of it. I shot probably 40 rounds through this gun, putting about 5 rounds in the magazine each time. The first time you hear one of these going off... holy crap! Seriously loud rifle, you can feel it in your chest. The recoil is very light on the AR as far as I can tell and I got comfortable with it quickly. Lots of fun to shoot this, as far as a rookie like me can tell.

AK47 (Arsenal SLR) chambered in 7.61x39mm. Red dot sight. The choice of "freedom fighters" everywhere. This gun felt like an agricultural tool. Incredibly simple ergonomics, lots of stamped metal and loose tolerances compared to the AR. Recoil is a bit heavier than an AR but entirely reasonable. This may have been the most fun gun to shoot as it was so simple and the ammunition is so inexpensive. I shot continuously for about 30 minutes using this rifle. I was not able to shoot it as tightly grouped as the AR though.

AR15 (another Colt) chambered in 9mm. Peep sight only. Very light shooting and fun, fun, fun. Made a unique ripping sound. I shot lots and lots of rounds through this rifle.

The range I went to is in an upscale area. There were no mall ninjas present. Mostly older men in jeans and baseball caps. Overall, a good time was had. A recommended experience.

Last edited by Hiro11; Dec 21st 2017 at 6:48 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Give me a bolt action rifle versus one of those toy ARs any day. If they aren't full auto, or have 3-5RB capability, what's the point? They aren't as accurate as a bolt action, they aren't as comfortable as a bolt action.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:52 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Give me a bolt action rifle versus one of those toy ARs any day. If they aren't full auto, or have 3-5RB capability, what's the point? They aren't as accurate as a bolt action, they aren't as comfortable as a bolt action.
My friend did not bring a bolt action. He has a Remington 700 in .308 and a couple of other bolt actions I'll try next time. I hesitate to call an AR15 a "toy", but whatever you say. The AR15 is certainly very easy for even someone like me to control.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:53 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Hiro11
My friend did not bring a bolt action. He has a Remington 700 in .308 I'll try next time. I hesitate to call an AR15 a "toy", but whatever you say. It is certainly very easy for even someone like me to control.
I guess what I mean by toy is that it has no real use in my opinion. Of course they are all deadly in the wrong hands.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 9:42 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

They have no real use?

People use them for plinking, target shooting, three-gun competitions etc.
They are also used for controlling hogs and as ranch guns.
The standard capacity 30 rounds is nice to have against wild holds or a pack of coyotes.

And then of course they're the standard issue "patrol rifle" for the police.

They're very easy to control, have minimal recoil.

They're great for home defense too (sorry, Uncle Joe).

I would say they have a lot of uses.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 11:46 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Korth 9mm air marshall, accept no substitutes - the most reliable light weight conceal carry a lot of money can buy...
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 7:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's been over fifty years since I fired a gun. I was quite keen on it at the time, and qualified as a marksman with the .22 at the school rifle range.

At Cultybraggan Camp in Scotland, I had experience with .303 rifles, fn rifles, Bren gun and light machine gun. Main thing I remember is, "Only point a gun at someone if you intend to kill him."

My descriptions of firearms (above) are from memory and may not be quite right.