Gun Ownership

Old May 2nd 2017, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gun Ownership

I've tried to find a definitive answer on this but sadly haven't been able to come up with anything.

I'm currently awaiting my adjudication of my AOS from a K1. I have my EAD and AP, and a valid Colorado drivers license expiring in 2020.

My question is: Can I legally own a gun here if I purchase it through a dealer at a gun show or even directly through a gun shop? I was told by someone at the gun show all I needed was a valid CO drivers license but I didn't trust this. I'd quite like to go hunting and clay pigeon shooting like I did back in the U.K. Hence the question.

Has anyone got experience with this?
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Geckz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gun Ownership

I'll post up my NJ specific experience in full in a bit (different states/ different laws)

Long story short - I'm on an L2 and have successfully got an FID (firearms ID) and permits to buy handguns from the state.

However when doing the 'background check' at time of purchase - the same visa does not allow me to purchase (federal vs state)

Apparently this can be overridden if I have a state hunting license (which I now have), so am applying for permits again.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geckz
I'll post up my NJ specific experience in full in a bit (different states/ different laws)

Long story short - I'm on an L2 and have successfully got an FID (firearms ID) and permits to buy handguns from the state.

However when doing the 'background check' at time of purchase - the same visa does not allow me to purchase (federal vs state)

Apparently this can be overridden if I have a state hunting license (which I now have), so am applying for permits again.
Thank you for sharing!

Oddly enough, from what I've read: Colorado doesn't require a permit or license of any sort. The procedure of purchase is a background check and merely registering the gun to your person and address. So I'm conflicted.

I'm tempted to try and purchase one at the next gun show, however I wasn't aware if this would have/cause any future problems for my Adjustment of Status etc.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I never bought one until I had a GC, they do need your A number. Should be an easy google to see if you have to be a PR.

Why buy from a Gun Show btw, they all seemed overpriced.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
I never bought one until I had a GC, they do need your A number. Should be an easy google to see if you have to be a PR.

Why buy from a Gun Show btw, they all seemed overpriced.
Ideally I'd like to wait until my GC comes but that could be another 10 months away looking at processing dates. I did do some extensive googling earlier and couldn't find a definitive answer annoyingly.

Also the Tanner Gun Shows here are very well priced. A new gen4 Glock (9mm) retails at around $550 at firearm retailers here where as they had a particular stall at the show selling the same gun and two extra clips for $425 and a case included. Definitely bargains to be had!
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:48 am
Account Closed

G19?

That would be a good price, have not been to Tanner for sometime, did not like the prices then.

I was looking at the new CZ...
Old May 3rd 2017, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Ideally I'd like to wait until my GC comes but that could be another 10 months away looking at processing dates. I did do some extensive googling earlier and couldn't find a definitive answer annoyingly.

Also the Tanner Gun Shows here are very well priced. A new gen4 Glock (9mm) retails at around $550 at firearm retailers here where as they had a particular stall at the show selling the same gun and two extra clips for $425 and a case included. Definitely bargains to be had!
Nearly what is on my Christmas list. I want the MOS version of that gun.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Geckz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so for those who are interested in getting a FID (Firearms ID) and Handgun permits in NJ this is the route I took...

I'm an L2 which is a non-immigrant visa. If you have another visa type it may be easier!

Go to the New Jersey state police website - Firearms Forms to Download | New Jersey State Police

Download 2x STS033 form and the SP 066 form. Fill them in but don't sign them. Find 2 American friends who will act as references and add them to the form.

Go down to your local police dept find the firearms officer and see how friendly they are. Sound them out about processing and 'gun friendliness' etc. Once you have chatted, Sign the forms in front of them and hand them in.

You will be given info about fingerprint processing - Book an appointment and attend. Then you wait for your American friends to return their references, the mental health check to pass and the police dept to process everything.

Don't chase or hassle them - but give a friendly call every 2-3 weeks to ask about progress. It's supposed to be 30 days, but mine took about 3 months end to end.

If you pass you will get an FID which 'allows' you to buy long guns and if you applied for handgun permits you can buy a single handgun for each permit. Be aware that you can only buy one handgun every 30 days and the permits generally are 90 day limits (you can extend if the dept is willing)

Ok so great - you have your FID and permits. Can you get guns! NOPE!

There is a federal background check form when purchasing . If you have a non-immigrant visa then you have to have an exemption - see form section 12.d.1 and 18.c
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/44...53009/download
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...earms.pdf/view

So what are the exemptions I hear you cry!

Accredited foreign dignitary, foreign law enforcement, yadda yadda, .... and State Hunting license!

So whilst you are waiting for the FFL go do a hunting course and buy a hunting License

Then when you get your FID back you can go buy your gun!

Easy!
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

We do not have a FID, I did do the CC and Hunting Permit course, and woul strongly suggest that.

Also did an Appleseed in Boulder, nice range north of town but a multi year wait to join.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience in Alabama. At least 10 years ago so things may have changed. I was then on an H1-B:

Went to Academy Sports. Handled a few handguns and decided on a SW9VE Smith & Wesson 9mm.

The sales assistant told me to go to the register and buy a hunting license. Seemed strange at the time but Geckz' post above explains it now.

Filled out the background check form and they attempted to process it over the phone. That resulted in 'further investigation needed' so left without the pistol and was told they would call me when they got a response.

2 weeks later... Nothing. So I went back to the store to enquire. They couldn't find my original application. So, filled out and submitted another and 3 days later, was approved.

A year-or-so later, I tried to get a carry permit. I was told that the county sheriff "Doesn't issue carry permits to non-citizens" At that time, it was at the discretion of the sheriff.

A few years later, there was a change in the law making Alabama a 'will issue' state rather than a 'may issue' state. Went back, filled out the forms and $20 and a few days later, had my carry permit. No training required.

We moved to Florida a couple of years ago (now an LPR). They require an approved firearms safety class which we attended at a local firing range. Took the certificate to the nearest tax collector's office, completed an online questionnaire, had fingerprints taken and received my permit a week later.
Old May 4th 2017, 5:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No firearm registration required here in GA. In fact it's illegal for the state to hold a database of purchased firearms!

Rock up and buy gun, fill out paperwork, walk away with gun (if NICS check comes back 'procced' - if not go back 3 days later)

I have a GA Weapons License, so NICS check is waived. Filled out a form at the courthouse, went to the Sheriffs office for fingerprints, got the plastic card in the mail about 2 weeks later. No training required.

I have 3, Glock 43 (9mm), Weatherby PA-459 (12 Guage) and Mossberg Shockwave (12 Guage)

I love my Shockwave, a whole load of 12 Guage power in a 14 inch barrel. And it's legal without an ATF stamp!

year-or-so later, I tried to get a carry permit. I was told that the county sheriff "Doesn't issue carry permits to non-citizens"
It's astounding to me that Alabama, with all it's Deep South, take-the-gun-out-of-my-cold-dead-hands tradition, EVER had a Sheriff that was anything other than 'Shall Issue'

Easy!
Mental note... NEVER MOVE TO NJ

Last edited by civilservant; May 4th 2017 at 6:02 pm.
Old May 4th 2017, 8:04 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Has anyone got experience with this?
You shouldn't even think of gun ownership until you're a US citizen. It's a risky business should anything untoward ever come of your ownership.
Old May 4th 2017, 8:05 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
No firearm registration required here in GA. In fact it's illegal for the state to hold a database of purchased firearms!

Rock up and buy gun, fill out paperwork, walk away with gun
The reckless irresponsibility of these States is mind blowing. I hope one day that those who sign off on permits for those to own firearms one day have their families murdered by a gun they signed the licence for. Rather their loved one gets murdered than mine.
Old May 4th 2017, 8:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Geckz

There is a federal background check form when purchasing . If you have a non-immigrant visa then you have to have an exemption - see form section 12.d.1 and 18.c
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/44...53009/download
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...earms.pdf/view
Should I even be surprised that the twits at the FBI don't know what LPR stands for?
Old May 4th 2017, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You shouldn't even think of gun ownership until you're a US citizen. It's a risky business should anything untoward ever come of your ownership.
Or drive

Or drink

Probably quite a few other things as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.