Gun control

Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:46 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gun control

apparently it is all down to the front sight (according to the teachings of the aptly named Front Sight training school in Pahrump Nevada - www.FrontSight.com). I just arrived home after a grueling, but enjoyable, four day "defensive handgun course". The course covers all aspects from the moral when/if to use your fire arm, the legal implications (and how to deal with the police), proper gun control, and target acquisition. A typical day (7 a.m. to 6 p.m., with one day running until 8:30 p.m. for a night-shoot) was split 30% classroom and 70% range time.

Having arrived at Front Sight with my basic handgun skills, and a fairly high level of confidence in my ability, I was soon shown otherwise. The weekend course (split among many smaller groups) consisted of 300 or so people, with a broad demographic. The rather high class course fee's help keep the 'Billy Bob', shooting beer cans in the yard, people away. I teamed up with a fellow Brit from Devon who now runs a very large security firm in CA and a retired Federal agent. My shooting group of 39 people had a mix 70% who did not carry professionally, and 30% who did (a couple of marines, a small team off to Iraq for the first time, 3 cops and their boss, 2 armed guards).

After the first day of the course we moved in to drawing from concealment. Something I had never really considered. OK, I have a Concealed Carry License, but I had never really thought about what would happen if I needed to draw it quickly - could I draw it and shoot it on target fast enough to make a difference.

The schools claims of "two controlled shots from concealment in under 1.5 seconds" seemed a little unrealistic at first. Sure I had drawn fast at the shooting clubs and hit the target, but two controlled and on target shots from inside my jacket seemed a little too much to expect. Well, I was wrong. Day 4 saw almost the whole group delivering two controlled shots in under 1.5 seconds. Even when we moved back to 15 yards and the timer went up to 2.4 seconds we were able to deliver 2 controlled shots from concealed holster, followed by a single un-timed head shot. Learning to place two quick shots in the thoracic cavity, and if this failed to stop an assailant then a single shot to the cranio-ocular cavity.

For those not familiar with trapping the trigger (apparently I had always perviously 'slapped' the trigger) this is whereby you take the slack out as your present, then after delivering the first shot (with a surprise break - pulling the trigger steadily and trying to avoid the habit of anticipating the shot) you slowly release until you feel the first click as the action resets; at this point you reacquire the target and pull to a surprise break again. A lot quicker than sighting and pulling to shots from rest.

The eye opener in faster target acquisition, was to not look directly at the target. As you draw your weapon and point in, you focus on the front sight and leave the target out of focus. The surprise break and trigger trapping keep you on target and allow for fast recovery after the first shot.

I recommend anyone interested in shooting who has not attended one of these courses to do so. Especially if you own or intend to own a firearm. The training surpasses that given by the police and even regular military - I say this after meeting both police and military at the course.

Over 40 hours of training across the four days, with a lifetime of tools to build and grow on. No time of you course is wasted. Mornings start at 7 am and finish at 6 pm, your 40 minute lunch break has an optional lecture covering such things as choosing the right self defense gun etc.
If anyone would like more information about the courses they offer then drop me an email I will be glad to respond by email or phone call - whatever works for you. The courses are far from boot camp mentality, have a very broad demographic (generally wealthy professionals), WILL improve your skills, and are going to either give the you skills you need or build on the skills you have.

A 4 day course will run you $1,200. You can also buy various memberships that offer unlimited attendance to this and many other courses.

Last edited by Pony; Nov 13th 2007 at 2:24 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun control

sounds interesting...but holy shit....$1200?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
sounds interesting...but holy shit....$1200?
Go buy a gun and hold someone up just leaving an ATM...soon make $1,200

.....or Boot Hill.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for a very informative account of the class. Personally, if I were to do a formal class, I would really like to attend a Bruce Gray class as my spouse did earlier this year.

Plus, Bruce Gray classes cost less and the class size is smaller. I, not my spouse, highly recommends the Bruce Gray classes and I think you would gain even more knowledge and get more practical skills. Pity Bruce moved from CA last year. You just missed him.

Next stage for you, to keep up your skills, is to take up IDPA or similar competitive shooting.

You really need to move to NC where you'd be in your element with a surprisingly (to me at least) big shooting community.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Thanks for a very informative account of the class. Personally, if I were to do a formal class, I would really like to attend a Bruce Gray class as my spouse did earlier this year.

Plus, Bruce Gray classes cost less and the class size is smaller. I, not my spouse, highly recommends the Bruce Gray classes and I think you would gain even more knowledge and get more practical skills. Pity Bruce moved from CA last year. You just missed him.

Next stage for you, to keep up your skills, is to take up IDPA or similar competitive shooting.

You really need to move to NC where you'd be in your element with a surprisingly (to me at least) big shooting community.
You're not one of those muppets that stand on the side of a hill firing a gattling gun down into a poor defenceless Chevy Cavalier shouting "Yee haaa" are ya?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
You're not one of those muppets that stand on the side of a hill firing a gattling gun down into a poor defenceless Chevy Cavalier shouting "Yee haaa" are ya?
Whatever floats your boat...
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The rich people shoot Beemers....
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:27 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
have you been shooting at your skoda again
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
As I am currently a Mercedes Benz driver...that bothers me not.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 5:42 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

As I am currently a Mercedes Benz driver...that bothers me not.

Cars today are more sophisticated, it seems, then their drivers.

No offence, mind
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britex01
Cars today are more sophisticated, it seems, then their drivers.

No offence, mind
True. Hows your Skoda?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:30 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

True. Hows your Skoda?
My helicopter blades blew it away... Someone tried to take the piss.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:41 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
My helicopter blades blew it away... Someone tried to take the piss.
And the nomination for starting the most repetitive and boring threads goes to.........
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:52 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
And the nomination for starting the most repetitive and boring threads goes to.........
It's me aint it? Is it? Oh well. Do I win the car?

Edit: Shit, this aint my thread is it? I am thinking of the one about the guy who shot his car. Sorry folks
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:32 pm
In yonder hills

In the US my wife has a magnum. Well trained, she knows how to use it (hopefully, never). Years back, my experienece was the SLR. Packed a punch!

Personally, I have no time for guns, but if needs must...

-------

Thydney... No contest intended, sir.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.