British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Gotta love Costco (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/gotta-love-costco-615354/)

emailrob Jun 17th 2009 3:45 pm

Gotta love Costco

So my OH goes to Costco with our 4 year old. She returns something, and our "UK" card has expired so we upgrade to the normal US membership (at least it stops me having to say "its international" every time they scan it). Anyways.

The woman on the till ends up being from Norwich (my OH said she didn't have a very strong UK accent). She takes a shine to our 4 year old, and gives him his own Costco card! It has his picture on, with a real number, and my wifes name. She ran it through the till when she bought something and it worked

:)

TheLeester Jun 17th 2009 3:50 pm

Re: Gotta love Costco

Originally Posted by emailrob (Post 7673415)
So my OH goes to Costco with our 4 year old. She returns something, and our "UK" card has expired so we upgrade to the normal US membership (at least it stops me having to say "its international" every time they scan it). Anyways.

The woman on the till ends up being from Norwich (my OH said she didn't have a very strong UK accent). She takes a shine to our 4 year old, and gives him his own Costco card! It has his picture on, with a real number, and my wifes name. She ran it through the till when she bought something and it worked

Good result, that is until you try and buy alcohol or ammunition. Does Costco sell ammo ?

emailrob Jun 17th 2009 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by TheLeester (Post 7673426)
Good result, that is until you try and buy alcohol or ammunition. Does Costco sell ammo ?

Can you still not buy both in the same transaction? I know Walmart used to have that rule :)

Rete Jun 17th 2009 3:54 pm

Not here in NY and they don't sell alcohol either, unless you count beer. Sam's Club in NJ sells wine.

Jerseygirl Jun 17th 2009 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7673442)
Not here in NY and they don't sell alcohol either, unless you count beer. Sam's Club in NJ sells wine.

I know of at least one Costco here in NJ that sells beer, wine and spirits.

Jerseygirl Jun 17th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by emailrob (Post 7673415)

The paid member is entitled to have one additional card holder...maybe your son has taken your place.

BTW I have never had to explain using a US Costco card in the UK or Canada.

TheLeester Jun 17th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by emailrob (Post 7673437)
Can you still not buy both in the same transaction? I know Walmart used to have that rule :)

Very sensible too. After all, you dont want to be squirting burgulars with Tequila if you mix up your purchases.

cindyabs Jun 17th 2009 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by TheLeester (Post 7673462)
Very sensible too. After all, you dont want to be squirting burgulars with Tequila if you mix up your purchases.

unless you have a lighter handy that is.

Duncan Roberts Jun 17th 2009 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7673442)
Not here in NY and they don't sell alcohol either, unless you count beer.

So, what else would you class beer as if not alcohol?!

TheLeester Jun 17th 2009 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7673478)

Breakfast of Champions

Bill_S Jun 17th 2009 4:22 pm

Does Costco sell ammo ?

No :(

emailrob Jun 17th 2009 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7673459)
The paid member is entitled to have one additional card holder...maybe your son has taken your place.

BTW I have never had to explain using a US Costco card in the UK or Canada.

lol no, it has her name on two cards. I'll fight them on the beaches if they try it on! The rep said I just needed to go in and get my picture done. Shall I do Mickey Mouse ears?

OT, but when the same son got his disneyland pass, he cross his hands across his body and tried to look mean. The rep said no gang signs !!!! So he did ears. I mean, a 4 year old! Ridiculous.

Rete Jun 17th 2009 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7673478)

Piss water?

MrEmjoy Jun 17th 2009 4:35 pm

The Costco near me is weird it's the same layout as the one in Leeds, same hot food on sale as well :blink:

Are they all like this?

emailrob Jun 17th 2009 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 7673571)
The Costco near me is weird it's the same layout as the one in Leeds, same hot food on sale as well :blink:

Are they all like this?

Yes, they layouts are virtually identical. The takeaway food in the US ones is cheaper :)

You can also return something you bought in the Costco UK store to a US store and vice versa. I've also heard you can do this with Asda/Walmart, but never tried it.