British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Gizza Job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/gizza-job-925377/)

civilservant Jun 1st 2019 7:27 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 
I had an interview for Home Depot when I first arrived in the US (6 years ago) - I can confirm that it is very similar to that described.

Jsmth321 Jun 1st 2019 7:35 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 
I worked for a major US retailer, our hiring was mostly automated with only the last stage the interview stage with a human.

Hiring manager say needed to hire 3 cashiers, would sign on, click the position hiring for, how many positions, times and dates of interviews and submit it, the system would email applicants it found as a good match for what the hiring manager was looking for, would email and schedule interviews.

caretaker Jun 1st 2019 9:19 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 
I remember filling out my application for the reserve army way back when. There were pages of questions, and some multiple choice... and there was a section where they showed a few pictures in each line, and you had to pick out the odd one. I wanted to get into the artillery because my friends were in the artillery, and there was one question that was a picture of 3 field guns. They were identical. I looked and looked, and finally decided on the one on the right because I thought if I picked the one in the middle I might be considered wishy-washy, and if I picked the one on the left I might be considered a communist. The one on the right might be considered right wing, but hey, I was applying for the artillery. I never found out what the test was all about and the artillery was great.

sid nv Jun 2nd 2019 6:52 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 
Timely article published today at Ars Technica on the topic of job scams. Seems that Google Hangouts is the preferred vehicle for this type of activity.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...ployment-scam/

Steerpike Jun 3rd 2019 9:39 am

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12691337)
Hi y'all

This is about age discrimination in the workplace, and how the US compares with the UK. I am pretty sure that ageism is a thing in the UK, but I have an uninformed hope that ageism is less prevalent in the US. I have seen greeters in Walmart aged well over 100, so am pretty sure this is the case. I am about to undertake a personal experiment to see how US employers view the over-65's. I have now been out of work for nearly 6 weeks, and entering a period like Yosser Hughes running around and telling people "I can do that".

What surprised me is that unemployment benefit is available here. I had assumed that there is little in the way of welfare benefits in the US, it is work or die. But no, there is "unemployment insurance" and it can be quite generous.

I see FedEx are advertising for delivery drivers, and this seems to be a good way to get paid and keep fit at the same time. Although, I came across a UPS employee forum where there was a discussion over whether drivers should continue at 50+, and the consensus was that this is a bad idea due to physical problems with back, knees, etc, plus citing stress over keeping to tight delivery schedules. So still pondering this one.

I've often thought about this, having given up full-time employment. I would have thought being a delivery driver for FedEx could be a good one, if you don't live in an area with terrible traffic. I would not expect the pay to be too great! You may get a bump on your auto insurance rates, though, if you declare it. And if you don't declare it, and have an accident while 'delivering', could find yourself in trouble.

What job did you do prior to retirement? Can't you take advantage of some connections in that area?

Nutmegger Jun 3rd 2019 2:47 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12692684)
I've often thought about this, having given up full-time employment. I would have thought being a delivery driver for FedEx could be a good one, if you don't live in an area with terrible traffic. I would not expect the pay to be too great! You may get a bump on your auto insurance rates, though, if you declare it. And if you don't declare it, and have an accident while 'delivering', could find yourself in trouble.

However it does seem that it might be quite strenuous -- in and out of the truck carrying boxes all day. I always thought that there must be a reason why my FedEx delivery people are a revolving cast of younger men. This isn't just a driving from A to B job.

sid nv Jun 3rd 2019 4:10 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12692684)
What job did you do prior to retirement?

Who said anything about retirement? That is exactly the sort of ageist stereotyping I am talking about !!


Jsmth321 Jun 3rd 2019 4:18 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12692795)
However it does seem that it might be quite strenuous -- in and out of the truck carrying boxes all day. I always thought that there must be a reason why my FedEx delivery people are a revolving cast of younger men. This isn't just a driving from A to B job.

FedEx and UPS delivery jobs are very physical and can be exhausting, and days long.

Loading those trucks is also difficult work, I worked for a time at Fedex as a package handler loading the trucks in the morning, shift was 3am to7am but it was the hardest 4 hours you could imagine with only 1 15 minute break to use rest and use the restroom, packages came down non-stop until the end, and typically have 3-4 trucks each, and had to be not only fast, but also good at memorizing zip codes so you could easily spot your packages.

I wasn't fast enough so I got fired, but yeah hard hard job. Way easier to load airplanes vs fedex trucks...

Steerpike Jun 3rd 2019 11:53 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12692795)
However it does seem that it might be quite strenuous -- in and out of the truck carrying boxes all day. I always thought that there must be a reason why my FedEx delivery people are a revolving cast of younger men. This isn't just a driving from A to B job.

What I've seen, recently, is that some packages have been delivered to me by a 'casually clothed' person in an unmarked car (eg, a Honda Civic). My assumption was, FedEx are supplementing their delivery workforce with casual folks; either for time-sensitive stuff, or just 'extra hands'. I've seen this in and around Scottsdale.

Update - actually, these were Amazon purchases - Amazon Prime. I can't say who the delivery organization was. Maybe this was Amazon doing their own deliveries; I believe they have a very significant operation in the Phoenix Metro.

Steerpike Jun 3rd 2019 11:59 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12692831)
Who said anything about retirement? That is exactly the sort of ageist stereotyping I am talking about !!

Ah sorry, I thought I'd read in there somewhere that you were retired but I was wrong. I recall other threads from you recently discussing Medicare options (very helpful threads), and perhaps I just assumed you were retired. But speaking of 'ageist stereotyping', what is it about the word 'retirement' that bothers you? I quit work full-time at 55, and I generally refer to myself as 'retired', 'semi-retired', 'part-time', 'self-employed', as the mood takes me; I don't see anything negative about any of these terms - I see it as a very positive thing.

sid nv Jun 4th 2019 2:39 am

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12693009)
Ah sorry, I thought I'd read in there somewhere that you were retired but I was wrong. I recall other threads from you recently discussing Medicare options (very helpful threads), and perhaps I just assumed you were retired. But speaking of 'ageist stereotyping', what is it about the word 'retirement' that bothers you? I quit work full-time at 55, and I generally refer to myself as 'retired', 'semi-retired', 'part-time', 'self-employed', as the mood takes me; I don't see anything negative about any of these terms - I see it as a very positive thing.

Don't worry, I am not offended by the 'retired' epithet - "Useless Old Fart" would be a better description. But it is interesting that you made the mental classification 'Retired', and I make it 'Currently out of work'. I think there is some stereotyping going on there. What matters is, do US employers think the same way?

Underlying this job search is a decision as to whether to move back to the UK or not. I could simply retire in the UK and make use of the "free" healthcare and drugs. My thinking is, if I can make enough from paid work to pay for healthcare for the 2 of us, then I prefer to stay in the US. That is why the question of ageism in the US comes up. I think there is a better chance of employment over-65 here. But when I think about it, this impression probably comes from seeing older workers in Walmart and Home Depot. I have no real evidence or experience of ageism in the US. Time will tell.

Steerpike Jun 4th 2019 10:20 am

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12693031)
Don't worry, I am not offended by the 'retired' epithet - "Useless Old Fart" would be a better description. But it is interesting that you made the mental classification 'Retired', and I make it 'Currently out of work'. I think there is some stereotyping going on there. What matters is, do US employers think the same way?

Underlying this job search is a decision as to whether to move back to the UK or not. I could simply retire in the UK and make use of the "free" healthcare and drugs. My thinking is, if I can make enough from paid work to pay for healthcare for the 2 of us, then I prefer to stay in the US. That is why the question of ageism in the US comes up. I think there is a better chance of employment over-65 here. But when I think about it, this impression probably comes from seeing older workers in Walmart and Home Depot. I have no real evidence or experience of ageism in the US. Time will tell.

So if I may re-phrase my earlier question, what skills / experience / employment background do you have from the past? I was just trying to see if there was something from your past history that might be useful in your future search. I've had a long history in IT, for example, and seem to keep myself nicely employed doing bits of consulting here and there. I keep in contact with all my old work contacts, and they are a wonderful source of referrals. I've found a bit of a niche recently helping really old people (80s) deal with computer issues ... it's been quite satisfying to help them do the basics.

sid nv Jun 4th 2019 7:00 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 
This looks promising . . .


Tasting Room Associate (Part-Time)

Bently Heritage LLC - Minden, NV

Education and/or Experience:
  • High school diploma or equivalent
  • Prior spirit knowledge is strongly encouraged, but not required, though an interest in learning about spirits is a must


Rete Jun 4th 2019 8:01 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12692795)
However it does seem that it might be quite strenuous -- in and out of the truck carrying boxes all day. I always thought that there must be a reason why my FedEx delivery people are a revolving cast of younger men. This isn't just a driving from A to B job.

My cousin was an UPS driver and a dear friend was a home oil deliveryman. Both of them suffered with knee and back problems from years of lifting, carrying, bending, etc. One required knee surgery and the other just lived with a limp and pain.

Steerpike Jun 4th 2019 11:51 pm

Re: Gizza Job
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12692795)
However it does seem that it might be quite strenuous -- in and out of the truck carrying boxes all day. I always thought that there must be a reason why my FedEx delivery people are a revolving cast of younger men. This isn't just a driving from A to B job.


Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12693006)
What I've seen, recently, is that some packages have been delivered to me by a 'casually clothed' person in an unmarked car (eg, a Honda Civic). My assumption was, FedEx are supplementing their delivery workforce with casual folks; either for time-sensitive stuff, or just 'extra hands'. I've seen this in and around Scottsdale.

Update - actually, these were Amazon purchases - Amazon Prime. I can't say who the delivery organization was. Maybe this was Amazon doing their own deliveries; I believe they have a very significant operation in the Phoenix Metro.


Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12693366)
My cousin was an UPS driver and a dear friend was a home oil deliveryman. Both of them suffered with knee and back problems from years of lifting, carrying, bending, etc. One required knee surgery and the other just lived with a limp and pain.

OK, here's what I'm talking about ' Amazon Flex':

"To become a Flex driver for Amazon.com deliveries, you need to meet some basic requirements; a smartphone and a 4-door vehicle for starters. Amazon also runs a background check and asks you to watch a series of instructional videos that are always accessible on the app. Other than that, it’s pretty easy to join the program.

Once activated on Flex, you find work by checking on available “blocks” that Amazon offers, which frequently change and vary on time, pay, and pickup location."

One (young) man's story:
https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...ckage-brigade/

Looks like you can control the amount of work you do.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.