British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Getting tired of the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/getting-tired-usa-879602/)

Pulaski Jun 29th 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Getting tired of the USA

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11989118)
I live in a country where they eat Elephant Ears as a treat. Strange but true. I find them a bit sickly personally, but maybe 1/4 of one is ok.

Originally Posted by katzgar (Post 11989122)
I have always seen elephant ears as a state fair food and there is nothing more bizarre than state fair food .....

Never heard of them - had to Google them. Perhaps they are regional? Round here funnel cakes seem to fill the same nutritional niche.

tuxedocat Jun 29th 2016 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11989130)
Funnel cakes are the shit, though.

I have yet to experience the concept of 'too sweet'. I'll get back to you if I ever do.

Though, we don't get cakes and that all the time either. Maybe we'll have a tub of ice cream on the go in the freezer, but that's about it. I'll eat apples for dessert all the time though. Honestly, I could quite happily eat about six apples a day.

What kind do you like best?

SultanOfSwing Jun 29th 2016 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by tuxedocat (Post 11989136)
What kind do you like best?

Apples?

Granny Smith and Pink Lady, usually.

SultanOfSwing Jun 29th 2016 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by katzgar (Post 11989140)
Hard to beat chocolate dipped bacon

I can't get my head around the appeal of that. I mean, I like chocolate and I like bacon, but I'd never have thought to combine them :lol:

Pulaski Jun 29th 2016 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11989143)
I can't get my head around the appeal of that. I mean, I like chocolate and I like bacon, but I'd never have thought to combine them. .....

Similar to chocolate-dipped (hard) pretzels - Americans seem to go nuts for them but a salted snack dipped in chocolate doesn't appeat to me at all!

SultanOfSwing Jun 29th 2016 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11989148)
Similar to chocolate-dipped (hard) pretzels - Americans seem to go nuts for them but a salted snack dipped in chocolate doesn't appeat to me at all!

Those I do like. I tried them in the UK though, late 90s, maybe - whenever they brought out those pretzel flips thingys for a short time.

This is weird though because I can't eat chocolate right after eating crisps because I don't like the way they make it taste.

Wintersong Jun 29th 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11989154)
Those I do like. I tried them in the UK though, late 90s, maybe - whenever they brought out those pretzel flips thingys for a short time.

This is weird though because I can't eat chocolate right after eating crisps because I don't like the way they make it taste.

Maybe try ready salted instead of prawn cocktail?

SultanOfSwing Jun 29th 2016 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11989179)
Maybe try ready salted instead of prawn cocktail?

Doesn't matter what flavour. Chocolate first, it's all good. If I eat it the other way round, it just tastes weird.

mrken30 Jun 29th 2016 5:40 pm

My wife will sit down with some peanut butter and a bar of 90% Lindt chocolate. I guess its the Hershey's peanut butter taste. Sweet and salty.

I still don't find the appeal of PBJ but it's an American staple.

mrken30 Jun 29th 2016 6:01 pm

Much prefer a good pasty over a PBJ sandwich

SultanOfSwing Jun 29th 2016 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11989390)
Taking a co worker Brit who's over here with work - don't think she even knows what a corn dog is

Depending on how long she's been here, that's fair enough. There were lots of things I hadn't heard of when I first got here. The fun (especially with food) is learning about them.

I was a complete Mexican food virgin until I arrived here, the first two meals I had on arrival were Mexican in origin and I was hooked from day one.

mrken30 Jun 29th 2016 9:06 pm

On the whole though store bough desserts in England tend to be better than store bought desserts in the US. I had forgotten about fresh cream cakes until I visited England last year. I did enjoy my 2 Tesco's fresh cream doughnuts for 57p.

yes there are many small bakeries and individuals that make excellent cakes, but $18 for a pie is not something we have too often., because I'm cheap.

Sally Redux Jun 29th 2016 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 11988100)
Home doesn't exist anymore. Go back, the feeling of it being "home" will likely have gone. Curse of the expat I'm afraid.

I went back after 9 years and it felt very similar and homely here to me. However it's now gone a bit weird with Brexit, which would make the move something of a gamble.

Sally Redux Jun 29th 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11989411)
On the whole though store bough desserts in England tend to be better than store bought desserts in the US.

Something of an understatement.

SultanOfSwing Jun 29th 2016 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11989411)
On the whole though store bough desserts in England tend to be better than store bought desserts in the US. I had forgotten about fresh cream cakes until I visited England last year. I did enjoy my 2 Tesco's fresh cream doughnuts for 57p.

yes there are many small bakeries and individuals that make excellent cakes, but $18 for a pie is not something we have too often.

You need to find a job in one of those places who employs a serial baker, I've worked in a few. They'll bring in various pies and cakes and things to leave in the kitchen. Every single time (unless it's got something I don't like it it, like raisins or something) it's the dog's bollocks.

There's a woman who works with my wife who makes the best apple pie I've ever had. I don't know what she puts in it (apart from applies, obviously), and frankly I don't care if there are ground up baby parts, I'd eat a whole one and not even come up for air.