Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the USA

Getting tired of the USA

Old Jun 28th 2016, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

sdbrit89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting tired of the USA

after 9 years here I feel like I am ready to go home.

It seems to have changed a lot or maybe its me, or a bit of both.

just really struggling with the people mainly, anyone got any coping strategies?
Old Jun 28th 2016, 5:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting tired of the USA

Go native or go home.

Do you not have family or other ties to the US after nine years?

The US is a big place, have you considered somewhere else in the US?

I can't imaging ever living somewhere long-term but "temporarily", knowing that eventually I would need to move somewhere else. My upper limit would be about 4-5 years. I tried New York, thinking it might be a good career step, but it proved to be a nightmare after only a few months, and I upped and left.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 28th 2016 at 5:47 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdbrit89

just really struggling with the people mainly, anyone got any coping strategies?
Sorry to hear you are struggling. Don't be afraid of seeking professional therapy.

I just wanted to warn you that "home" may not be as you remembered it either.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Go native or go home.

Do you not have family or other ties to the US after nine years?

The US is a big place, have you considered somewhere else in the US?

I can't imaging ever living somewhere long-term but "temporarily", knowing that eventually I would need to move somewhere else. My upper limit would be about 4-5 years. I tried New York, thinking it might be a good career step, but it proved to be a nightmare after only a few months, and I upped and left.

I agree with that 4-5 years time frame.......I moved to my present location a few years back to freshen things up......but this time I have run out of ideas.

I think its a sick of the usa thing as I travelled all over the country for couple of months looking around but nothing appeals anymore......its mainly people here......its like they all have the same cloned personality.

could be time to switch continents!
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Sorry to hear you are struggling. Don't be afraid of seeking professional therapy.

I just wanted to warn you that "home" may not be as you remembered it either.
what are you suggesting anti-depressants (prozac, zoloft) like everyone else seems to be on?
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

what are you suggesting anti-depressants (prozac, zoloft) like everyone else seems to be on?
No, talk therapy can be very constructive.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Alaska for a few months maybe. The people are different up there.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to cope? If going "home" is what you really want, then you should do so. Life's too short to try to force something that isn't appropriate to work for you.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:23 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts are you living right now and what, specifically is it that you don't like about the people? Do you have a job which you could feasibly move to a different area?

As others have said, it's a vast country with huge differences from region to region. If you give some indication of what you're looking for/what's missing in your current life, we may be able to offer some advice
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Also the UK has changed dramatically in some parts of the country. It is not as it used to be. The weather is much the same
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Also the UK has changed dramatically in some parts of the country. ..... The weather is much the same
Some parts, notably parts of Yorkshire and the North seem to be wetter, more prone to flooding, than they were when I lived there.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:49 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Home doesn't exist anymore. Go back, the feeling of it being "home" will likely have gone. Curse of the expat I'm afraid.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Some parts, notably parts of Yorkshire and the North seem to be wetter, more prone to flooding, than they were when I lived there.
I always wondered why Yorkshire people seemed a bit soggy.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katzgar
maybe try belize?
Probably not a good idea if the OP has tired of Americans.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 12:30 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ok with Americans, but why are desserts so bloody awful over here? They simply don't know how to make an apple pie or a strudel or similar, without using the blandest possible apples and then adding about six times the optimum quantity of sugar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.