British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Getting tired of the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/getting-tired-usa-879602/)

sdbrit89 Jun 28th 2016 5:30 pm

Getting tired of the USA

after 9 years here I feel like I am ready to go home.

It seems to have changed a lot or maybe its me, or a bit of both.

just really struggling with the people mainly, anyone got any coping strategies?

Pulaski Jun 28th 2016 5:37 pm

Re: Getting tired of the USA

Go native or go home.

Do you not have family or other ties to the US after nine years? :unsure:

The US is a big place, have you considered somewhere else in the US?

I can't imaging ever living somewhere long-term but "temporarily", knowing that eventually I would need to move somewhere else. My upper limit would be about 4-5 years. I tried New York, thinking it might be a good career step, but it proved to be a nightmare after only a few months, and I upped and left.

sir_eccles Jun 28th 2016 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by sdbrit89 (Post 11987989)

just really struggling with the people mainly, anyone got any coping strategies?

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Don't be afraid of seeking professional therapy.

I just wanted to warn you that "home" may not be as you remembered it either.

sdbrit89 Jun 28th 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11987995)
Go native or go home.

Do you not have family or other ties to the US after nine years? :unsure:

The US is a big place, have you considered somewhere else in the US?

I can't imaging ever living somewhere long-term but "temporarily", knowing that eventually I would need to move somewhere else. My upper limit would be about 4-5 years. I tried New York, thinking it might be a good career step, but it proved to be a nightmare after only a few months, and I upped and left.

I agree with that 4-5 years time frame.......I moved to my present location a few years back to freshen things up......but this time I have run out of ideas.

I think its a sick of the usa thing as I travelled all over the country for couple of months looking around but nothing appeals anymore......its mainly people here......its like they all have the same cloned personality.

could be time to switch continents!

sdbrit89 Jun 28th 2016 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11988001)
Sorry to hear you are struggling. Don't be afraid of seeking professional therapy.

I just wanted to warn you that "home" may not be as you remembered it either.

what are you suggesting anti-depressants (prozac, zoloft) like everyone else seems to be on?

sir_eccles Jun 28th 2016 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by sdbrit89 (Post 11988017)
what are you suggesting anti-depressants (prozac, zoloft) like everyone else seems to be on?

No, talk therapy can be very constructive.

mrken30 Jun 28th 2016 6:33 pm

Try Alaska for a few months maybe. The people are different up there.

Nutmegger Jun 28th 2016 7:19 pm

Do you want to cope? If going "home" is what you really want, then you should do so. Life's too short to try to force something that isn't appropriate to work for you.

Wintersong Jun 28th 2016 7:23 pm

Whereabouts are you living right now and what, specifically is it that you don't like about the people? Do you have a job which you could feasibly move to a different area?

As others have said, it's a vast country with huge differences from region to region. If you give some indication of what you're looking for/what's missing in your current life, we may be able to offer some advice :)

mrken30 Jun 28th 2016 7:36 pm

Also the UK has changed dramatically in some parts of the country. It is not as it used to be. The weather is much the same

Pulaski Jun 28th 2016 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11988091)
Also the UK has changed dramatically in some parts of the country. ..... The weather is much the same

Some parts, notably parts of Yorkshire and the North seem to be wetter, more prone to flooding, than they were when I lived there.

Sarah Jun 28th 2016 7:49 pm

Home doesn't exist anymore. Go back, the feeling of it being "home" will likely have gone. Curse of the expat I'm afraid.

mrken30 Jun 28th 2016 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11988094)
Some parts, notably parts of Yorkshire and the North seem to be wetter, more prone to flooding, than they were when I lived there.

I always wondered why Yorkshire people seemed a bit soggy.

BritInParis Jun 28th 2016 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by katzgar (Post 11988330)
maybe try belize?

Probably not a good idea if the OP has tired of Americans.

robin1234 Jun 29th 2016 12:30 am

I'm ok with Americans, but why are desserts so bloody awful over here? They simply don't know how to make an apple pie or a strudel or similar, without using the blandest possible apples and then adding about six times the optimum quantity of sugar.