Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the USA

Wikiposts

Getting tired of the USA

Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:46 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting tired of the USA

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I suspect this may be a fly-by posted thread, so I very much doubt we'll hear back from the OP.

As has already been stated, if you can't find somewhere to be happy in these 50 states, then personally, I don't think you should be looking at a different country!

Instead, you should be looking for some help.

After all, the difference between living in, say, Birmingham, is totally different to living in London, or Manchester, or the Lake District, or... well, you get the idea.
Not to mention the fact that even in a relatively short period of time, like just a few years, the UK could already have changed to the point where it doesn't feel like home anymore, never mind that same change over 9 years.

The US is big enough that there should be an area that would keep just about anyone happy though. Unfortunately it's just about impossible to know exactly where that would be right off the bat.

As for desserts, is that the be all and end all of living somewhere? Personally, I'm not a fan of Hershey's 'candy' chocolate compared to Cadbury's, but that doesn't have me wanting to go back to England. Same is true for apple pie or cake, or bacon, or anything else that's different. I either find a source (there are British-style butchers that do mail order) or Amazon has a wealth of British foods available, not to mention the British food stores found in just about every big city.
Yeah, I don't get this one either. With the variety of food available online and elsewhere, it's really easy to find the best of both worlds.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:47 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

As for desserts, is that the be all and end all of living somewhere?
Well, it's certainly something that cannot be easily overlooked or dismissed.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:49 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Well, it's certainly something that cannot be easily overlooked or dismissed.
Anyway, as you and I both know, there are a wealth of lovely cakes and pies to be had all over the place out here.

Cake ...
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:51 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Cake ...
Indeed.
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Well, they don't have the sense not to put marshmallows in their vegetables, so...
True. They put them on top of their sweet potato casserole. Yuck.

I'm American and don't think all our desserts are bland or filled with sugar. But then I lived in an area that we had many bakeries that were owned and operated by several nationalities, i.e. German, French, Italian and yes, believe it or not, one was Polish.

Suppose it is what you have grown up with. You all do have the luxury of making your own desserts and breads.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 29th 2016 at 3:55 am.
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by katzgar
Seems like one aspect of the brexit vote and 1X aspect of getting old in general is that you miss a lot of the stuff that you had when you were young I suspect a lot of older Brits miss the Imperial Empire days that they kind of knew the tail end of in the fifties
Not even getting old, either. As soon as I turned 30, I went into full on nostalgia mode. While I love 'looking back' though, I have come to realise that I'll never actually be able to go back. And that's OK.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:52 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Rete
... believe it or not, one was Polish.
I believe it. We have a Polish bakery in town and it's great. Especially Paczkis on Fat Tuesday. Lovely.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Rete
True. They put them on top of their sweet potato casserole. Yuck.

I'm American and don't think all our desserts are bland or filled with sugar. But then I lived in an area that we had many bakeries that were owned and operated by several nationalities, i.e. German, French, Italian and yes, believe it or not, one was Polish.

Suppose it is want you have grown up with. You all do have the luxury of making your own desserts and breads.

There are some great desserts to be had here.

Not saying I don't miss stuff, but there is a lot of good stuff here as well. I am slowly working my way through it all.

You know... For cataloging purposes.

It's a sacrifice...
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It's a sacrifice...

Carry on brave one.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:03 am
I have a comma problem

There are some great desserts to be had here.

Not saying I don't miss stuff, but there is a lot of good stuff here as well. I am slowly working my way through it all.

You know... For cataloging purposes.

It's a sacrifice...
What helped me get over a bout of homesickness/culture shock is to realise that moving to another country (or travel in general) is an additive process, not a subtractive one. Do I occasionally wish I could have a honking great slice of Battenberg Cake? Of course, but I know I will be able to go back to the UK and have one one day. In the meantime, I fill myself up with all the local stuff I have come to love in the meantime.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:11 am
I have a comma problem

As noted earlier just order a battenberg cake from Amazon
I could, but honestly unless I stumble across something like that in a supermarket (many have international food sections around my way), I tend to prefer to leave it as a treat I get when we visit the UK. Gives me something to look forward to, that way.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a country where they eat Elephant Ears as a treat. Strange but true. I find them a bit sickly personally, but maybe 1/4 of one is ok.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I believe it. We have a Polish bakery in town and it's great. Especially Paczkis on Fat Tuesday. Lovely.
Wow that solves it! I grew up in a very Polish neighborhood even in 2016 many of the businesses still have signs in Polish. I wonder if that is why I can't stand most desserts as an adult -that is exactly what I say they are too sweet. I thought I just lost my sweet tooth. Wow I still remember watching the box open of those krist whatever fried things with powdered sugar my relatives would bring home. The sausage from the butcher was delicious too.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of food I wish I could find good perogies and potato pan cakes like my grandma would make.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:33 am
I have a comma problem

I have always seen elephant ears as a state fair food and there is nothing more bizarre than state fair food the only decent state fairs are in the Upper Midwest Minnesota Iowa Ohio places like that and I haven't been to a state fair in 30 years
Funnel cakes are the shit, though.

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
Wow that solves it! I grew up in a very Polish neighborhood even in 2016 many of the businesses still have signs in Polish. I wonder if that is why I can't stand most desserts as an adult -that is exactly what I say they are too sweet. I thought I just lost my sweet tooth. Wow I still remember watching the box open of those krist whatever fried things with powdered sugar my relatives would bring home. The sausage from the butcher was delicious too.
I have yet to experience the concept of 'too sweet'. I'll get back to you if I ever do.

Though, we don't get cakes and that all the time either. Maybe we'll have a tub of ice cream on the go in the freezer, but that's about it. I'll eat apples for dessert all the time though. Honestly, I could quite happily eat about six apples a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.