British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/germanwing-aircraft-crashes-french-alps-855300/)

Michael Mar 27th 2015 8:06 am

Re: Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 11604545)
Because the media really doesn't care how it affects the people involved. They just want the story - any story will do really.

But the news reports of MH370 forced the Malaysian government to release details that they were trying to hide. Even though the news reports were speculative, it force the hand of the Malaysian government and allowed families a better understanding of what might have happened.

Also because the Malaysian government was not keeping families updated about information they knew, families became very angry at the Malaysian government.

Pulaski Mar 27th 2015 8:09 am

Because the media really doesn't care how it affects the people involved. They just want the story - any story will do really.

Having previously worked on the inside of a major news story back in the UK, I saw how that would happen in practice. Stories were (and no doubt still are) a bizarre mish-mash of "the official story" from a company spokesman, cobbled together with obsolete information from previous press releases, random "facts" from anyone who had any claim to be an "expert" (despite sometimes have zero relevant experience), other self-researched information dug up by the journalist, and spiced up with opinions of any grandstanding politician who felt like climbing onto his soap box. The resulting news report often bore only incidental resemblance to what had actually happened and why. :blink:

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 27th 2015 8:10 am

I have had a Sickie and not taken it.

Pulaski Mar 27th 2015 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11604559)
I have had a Sickie and not taken it.

How many people were on the plane you were piloting that day? :rolleyes:

GeoffM Mar 27th 2015 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11604543)
Which is kind of the point I am making, I think opposing what you're saying, that pilots should be held to a higher standard when it comes to mental competence to be at work.

I don't disagree with you, but that wasn't the point I was making. :sneaky:

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11604543)
but that pilots with a shadow over their mental competence shouldn't be flying commercial jets.

But this IS the point I'm making: that we are not the ones to judge this as mental competence is a very broad subject that is best left to the experts to decide. CBA to read newspapers but I there was a radio interview with a psychologist this morning who said that he has dealt with pilots with "mental issues" over the years and some of those had absolutely no reason not to fly a plane.

MMcD Mar 27th 2015 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 11604515)
I have one thing to say. I feel that until all the evidence has been officially confirmed this should not have been made public.

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11604523)
There was an article on the radio yesterday, questioning the haste with which it had all been released.

Evidently the French Prime Minister specifically requested that Lufthansa release as much information as possible so as to "help the public understand why the co-pilot might have crashed the plane".
:unsure:

(Or so it's being reported: Prosecutors: Germanwings Co-Pilot Should Have Been Out Sick :confused: )

Cardienscarf Mar 27th 2015 10:19 am

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11604685)
Evidently the French Prime Minister specifically requested that Lufthansa release as much information as possible so as to "help the public understand why the co-pilot might have crashed the plane".
:unsure:

(Or so it's being reported: Prosecutors: Germanwings Co-Pilot Should Have Been Out Sick :confused: )

I take everything the media says with a grain of salt and, in fact, I am not following this until the report comes out because, at this stage, they cannot possibly know or tell the whole story. I know first hand that what the media says and what is really happening are not one and the same. I also know the havoc their reporting frenzy wreaks on the lives of those involved and I won't be party to that. I would prefer they just stick to the facts but we live in a culture that has become horribly attracted to drama, especially of horrific events such as this.

Michael Mar 27th 2015 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 11604714)
I take everything the media says with a grain of salt ....

I get all my news from the Daily Mail and the NY Post so I should be OK.:eek:

Yorkieabroad Mar 27th 2015 11:26 am

One thing that I'm a bit surprised by - when MH370 went down they were hoping to find the flight data recorder beneath thousands of miles of ocean. There was all this talk about the signals it sends out and so on. I wonder where the one for this flight is - we've heard very little about it, other than they haven't located it yet. OK, they have a lot of debris on the side of the mountain, and the terrain is pretty tough from the looks of it, but the location must be known within a fairly well defined perimeter of the debris field, you would have thought? Nothing has been mentioned about signals - does that mean it's not giving any? Maybe it's too badly damaged? It sounds as though its probably not going to shed much new light on the crash, but I would still have thought they'd want to get their hands on it, no?

MMcD Mar 27th 2015 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11604769)
One thing that I'm a bit surprised by - when MH370 went down they were hoping to find the flight data recorder beneath thousands of miles of ocean. There was all this talk about the signals it sends out and so on. I wonder where the one for this flight is - we've heard very little about it, other than they haven't located it yet.

Not so
It was recovered several days ago.
Unfortunately its memory card had been dislodged in the crash and remains missing.

Yorkieabroad Mar 27th 2015 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11604785)
Not so
It was recovered several days ago.
Unfortunately its memory card had been dislodged in the crash and remains missing.

Aha - I missed that - I've not heard it mentioned at all. Thanks

Michael Mar 27th 2015 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11604801)
Aha - I missed that - I've not heard it mentioned at all. Thanks

This is the headline inside the following article

Flight Data Box From Germanwings 4U 9525 Recovered but Memory Card Is Missing

but the article appears to indicate that only the voice recorder was found.:confused:

Authorities have, however, located the plane’s cockpit voice recorder, which along with its flight data recorder is one of the two “black boxes” containing data that could help investigators determine what went wrong.

If I reread that several times, it appears that the airplane voice recorder also has a data recorder but the memory card is missing but there is also a second data recorder (black box) that hasn't been found.:confused::confused::confused:

Germanwings crash update: Flight 4U 9525 black boxes haven't yet yielded clues.

Pulaski Mar 27th 2015 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11604847)
.... but the article appears to indicate that only the voice recorder was found.:confused:

Authorities have, however, located the plane’s cockpit voice recorder, which along with its flight data recorder is one of the two “black boxes” containing data that could help investigators determine what went wrong.

If I reread that several times, it appears that the airplane voice recorder also has a data recorder but the memory card is missing but there is also a second data recorder (black box) that hasn't been found. .....

I think there one voice recorder and one flight data recorder on all commercial aircraft. In the context of an accident investigation both contain potentially useful information aka "data".

Michael Mar 27th 2015 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11604854)
I think there one voice recorder and one flight data recorder on all commercial aircraft. In the context of an accident investigation both contain potentially useful information aka "data".

The headline and context in the article is very confusing. I'm not convinced that there is validity to the article since none of the major newspapers or networks indicate that a 2nd black box has been found or a memory card is missing.:unsure:

Pulaski Mar 27th 2015 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11604860)
The headline and context in the article is very confusing. I'm not convinced that there is validity to the article since none of the major newspapers or networks indicate that a 2nd black box has been found or a memory card is missing.:unsure:

See #92 above. :)