British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/germanwing-aircraft-crashes-french-alps-855300/)

lansbury Mar 26th 2015 4:14 pm

Re: Planespotting

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11603178)
Ryanair can stick a GoPro on the dash.

They would charge an extra fee to fly on an aircraft with video monitoring.

md95065 Mar 26th 2015 4:33 pm

Re: Planespotting

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 11603396)
Several here. Warning: a bit distressing.

:(

I wonder if those were released through some kind of FOI request made by some idiot who thought that the public had a "right to know" or if they were leaked.

sir_eccles Mar 26th 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Clearly the only solution is to catheterize all pilots.

Or give them a key to the door?

Nutek Mar 26th 2015 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11603490)
Clearly the only solution is to catheterize all pilots.

I guess the thinking is that, if you give them a key, it can be taken from them?

Still, this obviously needs more thought than just having the pilot doing a Fred Flintstone trying to open the damn thing.

Awful for him in particular I would think. He would have known sooner / longer than the rest (I assume).

lansbury Mar 26th 2015 4:40 pm

That would then get us back to giving a way for anyone who got the key to open the door. The solution is what some US airlines do, where there are only two flight crew, have a cabin crew member go on the flight deck if one of the pilots needs a potty break.

sir_eccles Mar 26th 2015 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11603496)
That would then get us back to giving a way for anyone who got the key to open the door. The solution is what some US airlines do, where there are only two flight crew, have a cabin crew member go on the flight deck if one of the pilots needs a potty break.

At a certain point more people will have died from pilot suicide than in 9/11 (probably not that far off).

Diapers?

Pollyana Mar 26th 2015 4:46 pm

Some European ones do; it appears Lufthansa (and its offshoots) isn't one of them.

markonline1 Mar 26th 2015 4:51 pm

Yep. And I suspect that will soon become a mandatory procedure for all airlines.

Michael Mar 26th 2015 5:02 pm

The A320 is designed with safeguards to allow emergency entry if a pilot inside is unresponsive, but the override code known to the crew does not go into effect — and indeed goes into a lockdown — if the person inside the cockpit specifically denies entry, according to an Airbus training video and a pilot who has six years of experience with the jets.

Alone at controls, co-pilot sought to 'destroy' the plane

I suspect regulators assumed that would allow the crew access while keeping the terrorists out. If they don't do it that way, then a gun to the head of a crew member or a terrorist with a bomb may possibly gain access.

In my opinion, the current way is usually a better option. In the US a 2nd person must always be in the cockpit at all times but I don't think that helps too much since I suspect a pilot can probably easily overpower a stewardess or anybody if he has a gun.

lansbury Mar 26th 2015 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11603522)
In the US a 2nd person must always be in the cockpit at all times but I don't think that helps too much since I suspect a pilot can probably easily overpower a stewardess or anybody if he has a gun.

That's why in the UK all crew are screened the same as the passengers, to try and prevent weapons getting on board.

Michael Mar 26th 2015 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11603528)
That's why in the UK all crew are screened the same as the passengers, to try and prevent weapons getting on board.

And in the US, some want to give pilots guns.

Nutek Mar 26th 2015 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11603534)
And in the US, some want to give pilots guns.

But not cameras.

Michael Mar 26th 2015 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11603536)
But not cameras.

Maybe lapel cameras.:sneaky:

md95065 Mar 26th 2015 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11603502)
At a certain point more people will have died from pilot suicide than in 9/11 (probably not that far off).

Well, if you count 9/11 itself as "pilot suicide" (among many other things) then that has definitely already happened ... :sneaky:

Yorkieabroad Mar 26th 2015 5:58 pm

if one of the pilots needs a potty break.

Maybe we can avoid the whole problem by skipping the prodigy pre-K pilots and going for fully grown adults who use a toilet or restroom like the rest of us:p