Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The first officer apparently had some mental health issues a few years ago, not sure what sort though.
Seems he was signed off work on the day of the crash.

But - not directed at anyone in particular and talking generally - let's remember that "mental health issues" cover a broad spectrum of issues, plenty of which do not affect a pilot's ability to work. There is the risk of media hype over mental health setting back progress made with stigmas associated with such.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
How certain is that?

Seems the French government would, indeed, pursue a prosecution of Lufthansa if the evidence appeared to support that they'd failed to heed medical red flags regarding the co-pilot.

ps Well, probably NOT the French govt. - but perhaps families of the victims - depending on what the investigation reveals
I meant "of the pilot".
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Seems he was signed off work on the day of the crash. .
He was?
Where did you see that?

But - not directed at anyone in particular and talking generally - let's remember that "mental health issues" cover a broad spectrum of issues, plenty of which do not affect a pilot's ability to work. There is the risk of media hype over mental health setting back progress made with stigmas associated with such.
Yes. Good to point that out
In fact, it's that very stigma that likely contributed to the co-pilots duplicity
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I meant "of the pilot".
Changing/editing your post - to which I responded - after the fact and in a way that makes my response appear idiotic - does not reflect well on you.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

He was?
Where did you see that?
I was listening to BBC Radio 2 this morning. However, a quick Google finds it on various news sites. Here's the Telegraph's mass media overload, also known as a website.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Reading all the news feeds and watching the news it seems that it happened the way it is being reported.

I have one thing to say. I feel that until all the evidence has been officially confirmed this should not have been made public. There may be another explanation, I know it is unlikely, but putting myself in his parents place it would be bad enough your son had died, and unthinkable at what he had done. So if there was even a remote chance this was the wrong reason this tragedy happened why make it public until the final inquiry report ?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Reading all the news feeds and watching the news it seems that it happened the way it is being reported.

I have one thing to say. I feel that until all the evidence has been officially confirmed this should not have been made public. There may be another explanation, I know it is unlikely, but putting myself in his parents place it would be bad enough your son had died, and unthinkable at what he had done. So if there was even a remote chance this was the wrong reason this tragedy happened why make it public until the final inquiry report ?
Yes - too much is "leaked" these days, not to mention media overdrive to come up with theories from day 0. Can't remember which one but there was an incident not so long ago where everybody slammed one person in particular and by the time the report came out it was a very different story.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... - let's remember that "mental health issues" cover a broad spectrum of issues, plenty of which do not affect a pilot's ability to work. There is the risk of media hype over mental health setting back progress made with stigmas associated with such.
It's a valid point, but the risk of stigmatizing an employee needs to be balanced against the risk they necessarily expose others to. If a factory worker or shop assistant has a melt down at work, unless they obtain a gun (which is a whole other discussion - maybe we should look into it some time here on BE? ) they pose a negligible risk to others, whereas a bus driver poses a greater risk, and a train driver even more still (higher speed, more passengers), and an aeroplane pilot is close to, if not at the top of the list. People should expect the greatest degree of caution in the mental well being of pilots.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article on the radio yesterday, when someone was questioning the haste with which it had all been released. Apparently (according to this article) one of the french news agencies had been leaked some info about the cockpit voice recorder so the Prosecutor decided he had no option but to release what he knew.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:44 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

He was?
Where did you see that?
Yes, apparently so - its been all over CNN/CBS/NBC today.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a valid point, but the risk of stigmatizing an employee needs to be balanced against the risk they necessarily expose others to.
No - it's the "he's got a mental illness, he's not fit to fly" mentality that is the stigma issue. It's not for the general public to be the judge of whether (s)he can fly but the patient's doctors. And, of course, it's not the public's - and certainly not the media's - business.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I have one thing to say. I feel that until all the evidence has been officially confirmed this should not have been made public.
The problem with that is that families want to know and get angry when they get a run around by the airline and regulators. With most crashes, an official report can take years.

With the NY Times reporting that the pilot was locked out, that forced the French prosecutor to make that information public. If there wasn't a leak, the families may not have any idea what probably happened for years.

Therefore there are good and bad points about leaks.

As an example, it took a very long time for an official report and cockpit recordings released from the FAA indicating that the Egypt airline that crashed off NY was a suicide but Egypt didn't accept the findings.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 27th 2015 at 8:00 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:57 pm

No - it's the "he's got a mental illness, he's not fit to fly" mentality that is the stigma issue. It's not for the general public to be the judge of whether (s)he can fly but the patient's doctors. And, of course, it's not the public's - and certainly not the media's - business.
Which is kind of the point I am making, I think opposing what you're saying, that pilots should be held to a higher standard when it comes to mental competence to be at work. I am not saying we should have to put it to a public vote, but that pilots with a shadow over their mental competence shouldn't be flying commercial jets.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:58 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Because the media really doesn't care how it affects the people involved. They just want the story - any story will do really.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yes, apparently so - its been all over CNN/CBS/NBC today.
I have a feeling we agree - but interpret Geoff's post saying he (the co-pilot) was signed off work on the day of the crash differently.

I take that to mean that the co-pilot let his employers know he would not be coming to work that day and had transmitted to them the sick note he'd received from his doctor.

Of course, that's not what he did.
He tore up the note, Lufthansa had no idea he'd received it and he reported to work that fateful day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.