Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germanwing Aircraft Crashes in French Alps

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Maybe we can avoid the whole problem by skipping the prodigy pre-K pilots and going for fully grown adults who use a toilet or restroom like the rest of us. .....
Or plumb in toilet in the back of the cockpit, and have their meals, and a microwave, inside the cockpit too - in other words the pilots are sequestered for the entire flight.
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
.... Or give them a key to the door?
Where would they keep it? ..... Under the doormat, or a nearby flowerpot?

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 26th 2015 at 6:19 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the only good thing about the slow descent - is that they believe the passengers were unaware for that whole 8 minutes until very close to the end. Before people thought they had gone through 8 minutes of sheer terror which was a total nightmare for the families etc.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
the only good thing about the slow descent - is that they believe the passengers were unaware for that whole 8 minutes until very close to the end. Before people thought they had gone through 8 minutes of sheer terror which was a total nightmare for the families etc.
So the passengers wouldn't be alarmed by one of the pilots hammering on the outside of the cockpit door loudly enough to be heard on the cockpit voice recorder? It sounds like a nice sentiment, to make the families of the victims feel better, but I don't believe that scenario is realistic.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 26th 2015 at 6:25 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So the passengers weren't alarmed by one of the pilots hammering on the door loudly enough to be heard on the cockpit voice recorder?
I do feel for that pilot. Desperate wouldn't begin to cover it.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:28 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

So the passengers wouldn't be alarmed by one of the pilots hammering on the door loudly enough to be heard on the cockpit voice recorder?
i think that is what alerted them in the end. the descent started very close to the time the pilot left and was gradual. the pilot needed some time to do whatever he went to do and then maybe chat to the stewards etc. then knock quietly and wait, then have another go because they may not have heard the first time, and wait. and then start to get louder. Until the point the pilot 'realized' the non response of the copilot and the gradual descent were linked he may have been very calm and not wound up the passengers. From the description the screaming and the loud banging were very close to the actual end point - and of course the passengers further away would have taken longer to start to notice and therefore less stress too.

in any case any delay would be preferable to a long dive with a clear expectation of trouble the whole way.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

i think that is what alerted them in the end. the descent started very close to the time the pilot left and was gradual. the pilot needed some time to do whatever he went to do and then maybe chat to the stewards etc. then knock quietly and wait, then have another go because they may not have heard the first time, and wait. and then start to get louder. Until the point the pilot 'realized' the non response of the copilot and the gradual descent were linked he may have been very calm and not wound up the passengers. From the description the screaming and the loud banging were very close to the actual end point - and of course the passengers further away would have taken longer to start to notice and therefore less stress too.

in any case any delay would be preferable to a long dive with a clear expectation of trouble the whole way.

You could look at it that way (although 4000 ft/min isn't gradual). Or you could look at it another way in that if the plane had been put into a dive, everyone would pretty soon pass out from the G (unless of course anyone was unlucky enough to have decided to travel that day in their G suit). Pulaski is probably right. The 320 is only a little plane, it wouldn't have taken long for people to realize their was a problem up front. Just because people didn't start screaming until the end doesn't mean people weren't scared for a lot longer.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Friend of mine flys these, for reasons I can not remember he was telling me about the door system, I was surprised they did not have a camera instead there is a peephole in the door for the pilot to look through, normally of course they tap in the number and it opens after a delay unless it is blocked.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Where would they keep it? ..... Under the doormat, or a nearby flowerpot?
Underneath the toploader.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I do feel for that pilot. Desperate wouldn't begin to cover it.
I would have if he'd just taken his own life...but to take all those people with him is unspeakable.

It was reported this morning that screams from the passengers can also be heard on the flight recorder. The screams would have soon reached all the way to the passengers sitting in the back of the plane. Even if that was in the last minute or so...it must have felt like a lifetime.

A few years ago my daughter and SIL were flying into Toronto from Newark...similar thing happened. One of the pilots got locked out of the cockpit and was banging and shouting on the door. Understandable she said she was terrified.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would have if he'd just taken his own life...but to take all those people with him is unspeakable.

I thought Nutek was talking about the pilot that was locked out..?
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:40 pm

I thought so too.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I thought so too.
+1

I'm sure that is what he meant since as the pilot, he is responsible for the safety of all the passengers and was probably down on himself for allowing that to happen or not realizing that would happen.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:28 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
+1

I'm sure that is what he meant since as the pilot, he is responsible for the safety of all the passengers and was probably down on himself for allowing that to happen or not realizing that would happen.
And on a purely personal level, he was probably the first (other than the copilot), to realize that if he didn't get into the cockpit, he was going to die...
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought so too.
+1

I thought it odd Mr N would feel sorry for the murdering b******.

Apologies Mr N.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:47 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I thought so too.
+1

I was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.