Germans.

Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:36 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germans.

Zyklon B ............... maybe not such a good one
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:00 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
English only please....after all this is a British Expats forum...
Oh My God !!! Did you have to quote the bloody whole thing?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Oh My God !!! Did you have to quote the bloody whole thing?
I thought it best to...just in case someone overlooked it.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that much about German people/personalities. I've only really "known" one German expat ..... she was my supervisor at a part time job a couple of years ago. I have to say I liked everything about her. She was honest, funny, intelligent and fair. I don't know if it was just her personality but she had some qualities that made her an excellent manager (1) she was a very hard worker, (2) had excellent organization skills, (3) and she was very direct without being insulting (a very rare quality).

It's always nice when your first experience with a culture is a positive one.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:28 pm
WTF?

I watched Rescue Dawn the other night - an extremely good film, btw. I looked up a little information about the guy that the story was based on before watching it and that may have colored my view of the movie somewhat. The film played down the fact that the protagonist was actually German (had lived in Germany until the age 18 at which time he moved to NYC) but I couldn't help but thinking that the reason he was able to do what he did to escape (while the Americans and Viet Namese were willing to sit in the POW prison and rot) was because of his German heritage. I suppose it is a stereotype I have about Germans - a positive stereotype but a stereotype nontheless. I picture them as steely and capable of amazing ingenuity.

This is a little about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Dengler
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I watched Rescue Dawn the other night - an extremely good film..........[/url]
I don't know this film - but have you seen Das Boot? Definitely worth watching:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Wow..Guinivere is posting ...in the Lounge
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:54 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Elvira

I watched it at a tiny movie house while living in Portland .... we had been out for dinner and drinks and to be honest I was pissed by the time we got to the theatre. I must watch it again - sober this time.

Rescue Dawn is a 2006 movie and worth a look if only to see the dishy Christian Bale go from big and fleshy to downright skeletal. I'm sure the story was "Americanized" for the US audience but it was still very entertaining.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:54 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Ray
Wow..Guinivere is posting ...in the Lounge
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira

Oh yes, that's a corker - one of my favourites
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:31 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
Oh yes, that's a corker - one of my favourites
This movie, "Stalingrad" is absolutely fu(kin amazing!
(Pardon my French)
It really is incredibly stirring, historically accurate and will leave you in a bit of a shock as the final credits roll.

Made by the Germans as only they could, you can get it in dubbed or subtitled version.

Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:45 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to think about this one...
Attached Files