Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

That 'fresh off the boat' feeling...

That 'fresh off the boat' feeling...

Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:20 pm
GC Holder

JeremyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default That 'fresh off the boat' feeling...

I am sure others have gone through this as well. As a new immigrant in the US I wake up each morning in a bazaar state of where am I?

Its been so long in the planning and seemed to be a date so far in the future for so long, it seems now so strange to be here listening to the crickets in the evening and waking up in the morning realizing (thanks spell check I mistakenly used an s in realising) its another day in the US.

I'm rambling I know, but hey its a forum right.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That 'fresh off the boat' feeling...

You might enjoy the Trailer Park section...that's where we usually talk all sorts of gubbins...

Next you'll be saying things like 'gas' and 'trunk' and 'store'.
I still prefer UK spelling in informal writing where I can help it.

Even after 15 years and a citizen I'm still just visiting...

Last edited by Hotscot; Oct 28th 2014 at 11:29 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:31 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I hear ya! Been here a week now and it still all feels a bit surreal. Don't think it helps that my parents flew over with us and are staying with us for the next 3 weeks. I mean, it's nice to have them here but it's making it hard to properly settle/find a routine etc.

Sure we'll all get there in time
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:54 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the US

I know what you mean, like Hotscot, been here a while and a Citizen, but I remember the transition. I arrived about a week before 4th July, and felt I had better keep my head down!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeremyK
in a bazaar state of where am I?
Morocco?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
You might enjoy the Trailer Park section...that's where we usually talk all sorts of gubbins...

Next you'll be saying things like 'gas' and 'trunk' and 'store'.
I still prefer UK spelling in informal writing where I can help it.

Even after 15 years and a citizen I'm still just visiting...
To be honest that feeling of waking up wondering where I was never left me...but welcome Jeremy and I hope you soon feel settled.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Morocco?
Spillchecker and welcome
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
I hear ya! Been here a week now and it still all feels a bit surreal. Don't think it helps that my parents flew over with us and are staying with us for the next 3 weeks. I mean, it's nice to have them here but it's making it hard to properly settle/find a routine etc.

Sure we'll all get there in time
Ouch - 3 weeks...

My in-laws came to stay with us for 2 weeks either side of us getting married. Much as I get on fine with them - there are things that a newly wed couple want to do that just don't fit with the mother in law being around.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure others have gone through this as well. As a new immigrant in the US I wake up each morning in a bazaar state of where am I?
I remember opening the curtains one morning a couple of days after I moved to the US and there was a humming bird just hovering outside the window. That couple of seconds of thinking ???? as my sleepy mind slowly realized that, yep, this definitely is not Manchester.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I settled in pretty quick to be honest. I'm not sure I ever had that just off the boat feeling. I had a couple of short bouts (and by short, I mean about 10'minutes) of home sickness during that limbo period where I couldn't work or drive, but other than that, I felt pretty much at home. That said, I did have to pinch myself the other day. I was driving down hwy 1 in my Mustang (the car I've lusted over for years) the sun was shining, it was warm and my wife, who I met on a drinken night out in Twickenham 15 years ago whilst she was over there studying, was sat by my side. When I think where I was 3 or 4 years ago, I couldn't help saying to her it was surreal!
Old Oct 29th 2014, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
I remember opening the curtains one morning a couple of days after I moved to the US and there was a humming bird just hovering outside the window. That couple of seconds of thinking ???? as my sleepy mind slowly realized that, yep, this definitely is not Manchester.
Looked out this morning.
My big Eucalyptus tree.

Sitting in it were
11 Sparrows
3 Hummingbirds
2 Mocking birds
2 Blackbirds
1 Woodpecker
1 Hawk

Love watching the birds every day and they seem to enjoy living on my property screeching/shouting/singing all day.

(The Hummingbirds are like little jet fighters chasing each other around. Noisy blighters too.)
Old Oct 29th 2014, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

So, do you still miss waking up to the sound of sparrows coughing?
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:48 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch - 3 weeks...

My in-laws came to stay with us for 2 weeks either side of us getting married. Much as I get on fine with them - there are things that a newly wed couple want to do that just don't fit with the mother in law being around.
Yeah, exactly... And I hadn't seen my fiance for 5 months either

They went out on their own yesterday so that was good, shouldn't really grumble though, I won't see them til next summer after this so will just keep smiling til they go :-D
Old Oct 29th 2014, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, exactly... And I hadn't seen my fiance for 5 months either
Oooh - I feel for you. My fiancee arrived in the UK about 6 months before our wedding, so although we did try to be good....

Still 16 years later I can see the funny side.

Actually it's training for later in life. Somehow one of our kids always seems to wake up and come into our room at just the wrong time.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

So, do you still miss waking up to the sound of sparrows coughing?
No that one passed very quickly

Actually I felt far more homesick for the US when I moved back to the UK than I ever did for the UK when I lived in the US. But that was far more due to the circumstances of the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.