Reload this Page >

First Lady, your thoughts?

First Lady, your thoughts?

Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First Lady, your thoughts?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yes, this is no small feat (even if learned as a child). My feeling is she has a brain but her modeling career and of course life with The Donald have taught her to keep it deeply concealed.

Her use of MIchelle Obama's words in her speech at the Convention was a curious (though chuckle-inducing) show of discernment, but whether those passages were cribbed by Melania herself or one of Trump's speech-writers is not clear. (All of Trump's toadies scrambled to disassociate themselves from that fiasco, & no one was named or fired....)
Somebody did put theur hand up, not supposed to have been the final version from memory.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"Just say no", astrology.... Yeh, hardly innoculous.
Not to mention that she actively helped hide his early dementia while he was still in office. Plus ran roughshod over his White House staff --- all machinations and behind the scenes. She wasn't just arm candy, that's for sure.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm back to add something else.

I've read that she looks to be a 'traditional first lady' in the manner of Jacky Kennedy . All silent but wheedling behind the scenes like some lady from the 19th century. All about the cakes and the mothers and the children.

Lets face it the Kennedy's were flaming well a good half century ago. Who wants to go back in time like that. Who should want women to go back in time like that .

I really do not think that young women and girls growing up need that as a role model. They need a strong woman to show them they are equal . That they are entitled to have their voices heard. That they aspire to more than a place beside some man. That their bodies are their own. That it doesn't matter their creed or colour . Their dress or demeanour . That they count.

That is something she certainly needs to be working on. I really hope she does. .....
I don't think that sticking our heads in the sand and pretending that there aren't men with a bad attitude about women is going to help. It would be nice if we lived in a world where ALL women were treated with respect and were hired and promoted based on the basis of their intelligence, qualifications, and job-specific experience. But we don't.

It is certainly good to have roll models to aspire to, but life isn't a one size fits all, and there is nothing objectively "wrong" with the route that Melania Trump has taken, ... and indeed Hilary Clinton herself appears to have spent most of her adult life positioning herself to ride on her husband's coat tails, only stepping into the limelight when Bill Clinton was no longer president.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't think that sticking our heads in the sand and pretending that there aren't men with a bad attitude about women is going to help. It would be nice if we lived in a world where ALL women were treated with respect and were hired and promoted based on the basis of their intelligence, qualifications, and job-specific experience. But we don't.

It is certainly good to have roll models to aspire to, but life isn't a one size fits all, and there is nothing objectively "wrong" with the route that Melania Trump has taken, ... and indeed Hilary Clinton herself appears to have spent most of her adult life positioning herself to ride on her husband's coat tails, only stepping into the limelight when Bill Clinton was no longer president.
If Melania wants a traditional role and wishes to put her child first, I find it truly bizarre she would be criticized for making her own choice for her own life. It is having the choice which matters. Melania made her choice and seems to have done quite well. Just my impression but I think she is a lot sharper than some might think.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

in the hay ?
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:26 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I guess you have forgotten the Nancy Reagan campaign on "Just say No". Her fight to keep off drugs was big not just in the US but it spread to the UK as well
Well one thing's for sure we'll never have another Eleanor Roosevelt. She was without a doubt the greatest First Lady in history even ahead of FDR progressively.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Well one thing's for sure we'll never have another Eleanor Roosevelt. She was without a doubt the greatest First Lady in history even ahead of FDR progressively.
All the more admirable because of Frank's philandering, she had to act like there was no mistress when everyone knew. Kennedy, Eisenhower, FDR, a lot of them just couldn't keep it in their pants.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
.... Kennedy, Eisenhower, FDR, a lot of them just couldn't keep it in their pants.
You forgot a more recent one!
Old Nov 13th 2016, 6:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot a more recent one!
Ahem, matter of definition.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:23 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

All the more admirable because of Frank's philandering, she had to act like there was no mistress when everyone knew. Kennedy, Eisenhower, FDR, a lot of them just couldn't keep it in their pants.
Eleanor had her own affair going with a close female friend of long standing not that it matters of course.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 1:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
It's pretty clear to me that approximately half of the US believes that women are chattel. I always knew that this was a popular sentiment, even among my own gender, I'm glad we know the exact numbers now. It's good to know where you stand. I look for incidences of rape, bullying, slut shaming, inequality at work, sex trafficking, illegal abortions and abandoned babies, all to increase drastically. It's been normalized from the top and now we know exactly where we stand --- if we're not like Melania Trump, we may as well just kill ourselves, who would want us anyway?

For those people who voted for Trump, I hope you have no young women in your lives. Because you just severely limited their chances in life and (literally) put their pussies up for grabs.
Well, that was a depressing read.

Ahem, matter of definition.
He still had to take it out of his pants.