Finally

Old Dec 30th 2016, 9:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally

Originally Posted by dj6372
My good lady made green bean casserole, with mushroom soup and fried onions to have with our Christmas dinner, I just looked at it thinking, barf in a dish!

But it certainly tasted a lot better than it looked!!
That stuff looks a mess but it always tastes fine. It'll make you shit through the eye of a needle, but nobody worries about that while they're eating it anyway.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You, er, acclimated quickly!
Acclimatised, you bloody peasant ...
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
A very very late thanksgiving meal. I'm an American and never had a string bean casserole with mushroom soup and canned fried onions in my life. And never will. Those outside of the South do not consider this a proper dish.
It's a Thanksgiving staple for my wife's extended family in RI and mid-to-eastern CT.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I do them that way on the grill -- delicious! To go with roast turkey, I make yams sliced very thin on a mandoline, and then sauteed in butter with finely chopped onion and gingerroot, and finished with a little lemon juice. Also yum!

I'm with Jsmith321, those ghastly dishes are like folk legends to me -- I've never once been offered the green beans/mushroom soup or sweet potatoes/marshmallow confections when I've been someone's guest for TG or Christmas.
And you probably never will. You are in the Northeast not the South. We Yanks are more purists then our Southern brethren.

My MA friend makes a roast/baked potato on the grill that I love. She takes a Russet potato and slices it nearly all the way through every 1/4" and makes a fan. In each opening she places a small pat of butter and a thin slice of whole onion, salt and peppers it, wraps it in foil and places it on the grill. I love this with sour cream and chives.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
It's a Thanksgiving staple for my wife's extended family in RI and mid-to-eastern CT.
Check their heritage ... somewhere there is a man in grey uniform
Old Dec 31st 2016, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Check their heritage ... somewhere there is a man in grey uniform
Lol no, French Canadian and Irish with a dash of English and Welsh all the way back!
Old Jan 1st 2017, 1:03 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest Thanksgiving crime is the replacement of roast potatoes with mash. (Since corrected in the username household.)
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:03 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by username.exe
The biggest Thanksgiving crime is the replacement of roast potatoes with mash. (Since corrected in the username household.)
Nothing but mashed when I have gravy with a meal, i.e. yankee pot roast, turkey, braised and potted brisket.

Roast potatoes are good with other meals, i.e. meatloaf, baked ham, roast beef, roast crown of lamb.

Mash them with sour cream, half and half, butter, salt and pepper. I can and have eaten just that for an entire meal.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 1st 2017 at 4:05 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am seeing a lot of No true Scotsman denial of these dishes from the Americans here. Time for them to take ownership and embrace the green bean casserole.