Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Favourite Olympic Sport so far

Wikiposts

Favourite Olympic Sport so far

Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite Olympic Sport so far

Originally Posted by Rete
If I were to watch the Olympics (which I don't), I would be watching the gymnastic and diving competitions.
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't intend to watch any of it. But if I were to, it would be swimming, gymnastics and rowing. Some sports don't feel like they should be at the Olympics to me, like tennis, football and rugby.
You guys don't intend to watch any? Boycotting the TV?

I had no interest in the Olympics right up to and even after the opening ceremony; but now I'm mesmerized by the US women's gymnast team. Watching those tiny girls on the balance beam is just crazy.

Anyone have any theories as to why the US teams do so well in so many sports (forget basketball, tennis, etc, which really have no business being in the Olympics)? Is there a lot of sponsorship money supporting these kids through their development? I have some friends who are parents of budding gymnasts, and it seems to be a real hard slog and no obvious financial support.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:14 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I had no interest in the Olympics right up to and even after the opening ceremony; but now I'm mesmerized by the US women's gymnast team. Watching those tiny girls on the balance beam is just crazy.

Anyone have any theories as to why the US teams do so well in so many sports (forget basketball, tennis, etc, which really have no business being in the Olympics)? Is there a lot of sponsorship money supporting these kids through their development? I have some friends who are parents of budding gymnasts, and it seems to be a real hard slog and no obvious financial support.
US universities are huge training grounds for Olympians of all countries. Football and basketball revenue, which is in the millions per school, is often funnelled to other non-revenue sports like swimming and athletics. In addition Title 9 requires US schools to spend equal sports dollars on women as well as men which means quite a bit of funding is made available for things like women's soccer and basketball.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:19 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I second that!

Now what time is it on telly? Got a day off today and Mrs DJ is working
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...west?CMP=fb_gu

I think the line at the bottom is just for you.... "It's ok to have sex feelings, just watch where you're spraying them"
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:23 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's just the huge size and population to match, there will be sports scholarships for those that are brilliant, but with all the children coming through those sports, the school's get to choose the best of the best..
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:51 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I might watch some of the sports they don't show.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
US universities are huge training grounds for Olympians of all countries. Football and basketball revenue, which is in the millions per school, is often funnelled to other non-revenue sports like swimming and athletics. In addition Title 9 requires US schools to spend equal sports dollars on women as well as men which means quite a bit of funding is made available for things like women's soccer and basketball.
I specifically said 'ignoring baskeball, tennis, etc ' ... and these gymnasts are REALLY young - 16, 17 ... not yet university. So where is the funding / support coming from? These kids are getting trained from the age of 5, it seems. I was reading about Simone Biles; her mother was a substance abuser and she was adopted by her grandparents ... doesn't sound like a particularly comfortable environment to be growing up in, but she's the best in the world. Quite amazing.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I specifically said 'ignoring baskeball, tennis, etc ' ... and these gymnasts are REALLY young - 16, 17 ... not yet university. So where is the funding / support coming from? These kids are getting trained from the age of 5, it seems. I was reading about Simone Biles; her mother was a substance abuser and she was adopted by her grandparents ... doesn't sound like a particularly comfortable environment to be growing up in, but she's the best in the world. Quite amazing.
Read it carefully, he said the money from the popular college sports trickles down to the minor sports.

That said you're right, the gymnasts are not at college and Ledecky is actually turning down the chance to go professional in order to attend Stanford.

I think a lot of the track and field athletes are college trained.

For many of these sports unfortunately the answer is they are rich people's sports, gymnastics, figure skating, swimming have to be started young and are hard on the pocket.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:19 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Read it carefully, he said the money from the popular college sports trickles down to the minor sports.

That said you're right, the gymnasts are not at college and Ledecky is actually turning down the chance to go professional in order to attend Stanford.

I think a lot of the track and field athletes are college trained.

For many of these sports unfortunately the answer is they are rich people's sports, gymnastics, figure skating, swimming have to be started young and are hard on the pocket.
We're not rich and our son is in a competitive stream for swimming. We fell into club swimming by default really thinking it the best way to become a good swimmer but he loves it. Still even our small club offers to cover fees for those that genuinely want to swim and can't afford it.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Which is why the Simone Biles story was amazing to me. I didn't read enough to get the specifics of her economic situation, but her mom was a substance abuser, and her grandparents adopted her. That just doesn't reek of money.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why the Simone Biles story was amazing to me. I didn't read enough to get the specifics of her economic situation, but her mom was a substance abuser, and her grandparents adopted her. That just doesn't reek of money.
Why? Rich people aren't substance abusers?
Old Aug 11th 2016, 12:43 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

Most irritating is that the US coverage only really shows the US olympians with very few others. With British (or probably most other countries' coverage) you would get a good cross-section of participants being shown. Yanks just don't care about anyone else. And are only really interested in sports in which they have a shot at winning.
I'm not sure any country's coverage can be as bad as the Italian RAI channel (like the BBC). It is so bad that when I turned it on yesterday they were showing repeats of Italians winning and standing on the podium rather than show anything different. Repeats! And nothing of the rest of the Olympics going on.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Why? Rich people aren't substance abusers?
Of course they are! But does this sound like a rich family to you?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...erica-rio-2016

Biles' backstory is a departure from the saccharine, soft-focus features typically associated with American gymnasts. She was born in Columbus, Ohio, and placed into foster care amid her mother’s struggles with drugs and alcohol. The rambunctious toddler was adopted when she was five with her younger sister by her biological grandparents – Nellie, a former nurse, and Ron, an air traffic controller
Old Aug 11th 2016, 5:49 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone watch the mens' all-around gymnastics last night? That final rotation where the Ukrainian missed gold by .09 of a point (or something like that) was quite a finish.

Also Kazakhstan winning a gold in swimming was a surprise, too. Wrestling or weightlifting I'd expect, but not swimming.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 12:03 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I've been enjoying the rowing today. Swimming's always fun as well. Diving, canoeing, archery...

Basically anything which doesn't take a year and a day to whittle the competitors down and determine a winner.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.