Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Eye test and glasses cost v UK

Eye test and glasses cost v UK

Old Sep 1st 2015, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye test and glasses cost v UK

To be fair, I always have the thinner index lenses, so maybe the cost usually includes the basic lenses, I just pay extra for my lense upgrades. You pay extra for the Oakley lenses simply because they do such a variety of lenses.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 5:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
To be fair, I always have the thinner index lenses, so maybe the cost usually includes the basic lenses, I just pay extra for my lense upgrades. You pay extra for the Oakley lenses simply because they do such a variety of lenses.
I didn't go fancy so that might be it. I only need them when driving at night, so I had no reason to go beyond the basics.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I just ordered new glasses. My insurance covers basic eye test 100% and gives $150 toward frames. Ido have a co pay though. I then have an allowance for lenses. Like others I have to get my lenses specially thinned down so between that and the copay my total out of pocket is $107. I normally spend about 200 GBP so for me it is cheaper here with my insurance.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I found the eyetest in US vs UK to be virtually identical, except in the UK I got retinal imaging included in the cost. My US experience with glasses is mainly with lenscrafters - I found lenscrafters vs specsavers to be comparable in costs after copay, but the glasses from Specsavers are of a higher quality, eg non-reflective coating of the lenses for the same cost.

When I went for my last eye test in Specsavers and they looked at my then-current US glasses to get a basic idea of what my eyes are like, they noted that the US finish/cut/fitting of the lens in the frame would be rejected as unacceptable in their shop.

I think Specsavers to better offers too (eg 2-for1, buy one pair, get prescription sunglasses free, that kind of thing).
Old Sep 1st 2015, 12:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They must do it differently here, or the place I went to does. (They do the lenses in house) but the price included the frames and lenses, although you could pay extra for the fancier types of lenses, but the basic lens was included.

It's the only time I have ever gotten glasses, so had no idea most places charge for lenses on top... Now I am curious if that is the norm here, or if the place I went to is just different.
It gets worse because they don't price the whole lens pair, but the individual lenses down my way.

I almost shat a brick the first time I got some glasses done here
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
When I went for my last eye test in Specsavers and they looked at my then-current US glasses to get a basic idea of what my eyes are like, they noted that the US finish/cut/fitting of the lens in the frame would be rejected as unacceptable in their shop.
Eyeglass Chain Stores Put to the Test - ABC News
Old Sep 1st 2015, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's the only time I have ever gotten glasses, so had no idea most places charge for lenses on top... Now I am curious if that is the norm here, or if the place I went to is just different.
In both the UK and the US I've always been quoted one price for the frames then a separate price for the lenses.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out that with my insurance I have 1 free vision exam every 12 months, and 1 pair of glasses every 24 months up to $100 for the frames.

I think my last trip cost me $10.70 and I came out with a new pair of glasses. Not too bad at all
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcjunkie
$100 bucks with insurance you for real?! would thought would be co pay max for that kind of thing. my plan includes vision so i hope that means its free. i need to read the small print.
Hmm, I paid $200 with insurance for varifocals with light-changing lenses (or whatever it's called). Vision insurance in the US is even more w@nk than health, at least for my company.