Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Education info for USA.

Education info for USA.

Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education info for USA.

Originally Posted by DaPs
I'm a UK citizen so am eligible to study in the US with a student VISA.
Fair enough. You realize, don't you, that you have to have an I-20 issued by the institution where you plan on studying (which means you have to be accepted there first)... and I'm willing to bet good money that unless you are at a bona fide college or university, any old "adult education center" isn't going to do it for you. Further, you have to demonstrate financial responsibility *up front*... which means mega$$$ in the bank before you even start. Does any of this seem familiar to you, since you've already decided that you are eligible for a student visa?

I'd like to know cost information.
A *single* college course at UCLA will run you about $3800 since you're a non-resident. You can expect to rent a small apartment for about $1700/month.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice

I want to get a job before i start etc.

I am here for help, not to be critisized like some sort of idiot.

That's it, i'll goto a forum where people will help me with some sort of decency.

Last edited by DaPs; Feb 7th 2008 at 3:36 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I
That's it, i'll goto a forum where people will help me with some sort of decency.
Good morning ..have a nice day ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you're on a student visa, you can work up to 20 hours per week *at* the school. If you want to work outside of the school, you'll need some other type of visa.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

I am here for help, not to be critisized like some sort of idiot.
I don't think it's fair to paint all of us with the same brush. Some of us are genuinely trying to help!

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:15 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

You've been watching too much TV, methinks.

You can't just up sticks and move over here and go to school.
How're you going to pay tens and tens of thousands of dollars for school fees, rent, living expenses?
Without the money, how do you propose to get a visa?

You're being whiny because your little fantasy applecart has been upset. You're completely arse-backwards in your thinking.

Go to school over the in UK, and look for a university sandwich course where you can study over here for a year. Then study really, really hard and get great grades and then maybe - maybe - you'll be lucky enough to get a visa to come over.

Good luck. And by the way, crying into your cereals because you aren't being told some fairy tale which makes you feel good isn't very adult. You're clearly not ready to come over here.

Oh well, I'm off the the local high school. I have to hang out with some gorgeous co-eds before going to the school prom, and then we're going to ride motorcycles and go surfing.
Tomorrow, I pick up my new Mustang and then we're taking it to the range to shoot some guns, before going to hang out with some more gorgeous co-eds.
Living the dream...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice

Who said i thought it was easy? If i thought it was easy i wouldn't be here asking questions, i'd be on a flight already.

Why are you making out i thought it was easy, i never said it was, i never thought it was.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We are trying to help you. If you're saying you want to work in the USA before starting school in the USA, you'll need a work visa of some sort to do that, not a student one. Once you have a work visa (depending on what you qualify for), you can come to the USA, work for a while, then probably switch to a student visa later on.

Coming to live in the USA takes some planning, if you feel like sticking around, maybe we can help you plan.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand now, too much Baywatch...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:27 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Google BUNAC.

Read this:
http://educationusa.state.gov/usvisa.htm

BTW, why should my tax dollars pay for a foreigner to attend a US high school?
How would you feel if your comprehensive or grammar school started accepting kids from Beri-Bundi? I'm sure your parents would love to know that that's where their council tax is going.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Google BUNAC.

Read this:
http://educationusa.state.gov/usvisa.htm

BTW, why should my tax dollars pay for a foreigner to attend a US high school?
How would you feel if your comprehensive or grammar school started accepting kids from Beri-Bundi? I'm sure your parents would love to know that that's where their council tax is going.
I think they actually do....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:44 pm
Peace onion

Why are you making fun of me? Why are you treating me like an idiot?
I'm going to a different forum where the people are nicer and know less and will tell me that the moon is made of green cheese.

OcTanG
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm....F1 visa, you'd need to show funds that you can cover cost of study and living expenses, which they like to see at least $10K a year on top of tuition, if you don't have cash in hand, at least means of getting it.

If you can't muster that, not much point in bothering. Also as mentioned, you can't work more than 20 hours on campus on a student visa, also you can't work in your first semester. There tends to be a bit of competition for limited jobs as well because of the work study programs a lot of places have.

Bunac or other college exchange programs are the best bet....that and being flexible with where you want to go. But saying that, about the exchange programs, I know Brunel design courses do an exchange with San Fran, they swap about 6 students a semester and competition for the slots is pretty high.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is you are looking for easy answers and there aren't any.

There are so many people out there that want to do this kind of thing, which in turn means they have to make it harder not easier because there are only so many jobs and college places to go around. Simply qualifying for a visa isn't enough these days.

It seems like you have a specific thing in mind that you want to do out here other than simply work and attend college, since you are so set on the location. Perhaps you would be better off approaching it from that angle - so if it's a particular college you want to attend then try to figure out how you can attend THAT college rather than looking for general info. If it's a relationship you're trying to pursue try that angle. If it's a lifestyle thing then figure out an alternate and easier way if you can.

Oh and please let us know about this other forum where everyone has the right answers...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:42 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

DaPs: I can't see why you would want to do this. You'll get a way better eduction from an English school/college. The majority of university entrants here can hardly tie their own shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.