Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Eating habits of Americans

Eating habits of Americans

Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating habits of Americans

Originally Posted by robin1234
Does anyone know when the standard British method of eating with the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right hand came into general use? I wonder if you were a fly on the wall at an ordinary English family meal in 1880 or 1910 (or whenever,) you would see folks eating the standard American way? That is, using a fork or fingers as appropriate, and a knife only when needed.
Maybe the high-end silver-service type table setting (several utensils ranged to left and right of the plate) came in in the early nineteenth century, spread down through the middle classes late in the nineteenth century, and simply never made it to America?
Oh I dare say it made it across the pond, at least to the Astors, Vanderbilts etc if not down to the rest of us hoi polloi in the peanut gallery.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the high-end silver-service type table setting (several utensils ranged to left and right of the plate) came in in the early nineteenth century, spread down through the middle classes late in the nineteenth century, and simply never made it to America?
Huh?

We set the table with the required number of pieces of silver per plate. If we are serving soup, salad, entree, there would be a soup spoon, a salad fork and a dinner fork and knife. We don't normally serve coffee and dessert immediately following our meals (in our household). They do in my husband's sister's house in Canada so there is a teaspoon and dessert fork with our place settings.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Huh?

We set the table with the required number of pieces of silver per plate. If we are serving soup, salad, entree, there would be a soup spoon, a salad fork and a dinner fork and knife. We don't normally serve coffee and dessert immediately following our meals (in our household). They do in my husband's sister's house in Canada so there is a teaspoon and dessert fork with our place settings.
Damn! your really posh ......
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:31 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Huh?

Our new year's resolution has been to follow the more traditional English custom when it comes to eating as a family.
I've removed the floor in the kitchen and installed a large fire pit which has a spit over it. At dinner time we all go wash our hands and sit in a circle around the pit and eat with our hands tearing off great chunks of meat.
We throw the bones to the jackals and wild dogs outside, then when all done we retire for a nice game of canasta or whist.

Americans are so uncivilised.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

We grew up with one knife, one fork and one spoon at the table. Knife and fork for dinner, spoon for afters.

If we had soup it wasn't for a dinner meal, was mainly an eat off your lap lunch.

Then again we rarely ate at the table once I was competent enough to hold the plate while sitting on the sofa... only for Christmas dinner or whatever.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:41 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
We grew up with one knife, one fork and one spoon at the table. Knife and fork for dinner, spoon for afters.
How did you decide who went first?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:54 pm

GMM2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the cake eating habits of the Brits!! Served on a napkin eaten with fingers!!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:02 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMM2003
How about the cake eating habits of the Brits!! Served on a napkin eaten with fingers!!!
Can you pick up the crumbs with a fork?

And it's a serviette!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Our new year's resolution has been to follow the more traditional English custom when it comes to eating as a family.
I've removed the floor in the kitchen and installed a large fire pit which has a spit over it. At dinner time we all go wash our hands and sit in a circle around the pit and eat with our hands tearing off great chunks of meat.
We throw the bones to the jackals and wild dogs outside, then when all done we retire for a nice game of canasta or whist.

Americans are so uncivilised.
We have two modes in my house.
(a) My wife and I are both home. We lay the table, put out lots of food, eat, drink, make conversation.. then tackle the major clean-up we've created.
(b) I'm home alone. I open a can of tuna and eat it with a teaspoon, over the sink. I'm done in 4 minutes, and all there is to wash is the spoon.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:07 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all about paper plates, eating with a spork if possible, and standing over the sink if I can't be arsed to sit at the dining table.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:11 pm
gurt mint nit?

Americans tried to use a serviette for afters, but the trifle kept falling through.

We have two modes in my house.
(a) My wife and I are both home. We lay the table, put out lots of food, eat, drink, make conversation.. then tackle the major clean-up we've created.
(b) I'm home alone. I open a can of tuna and eat it with a teaspoon, over the sink. I'm done in 4 minutes, and all there is to wash is the spoon.
For after dinner entertainment, you could leave the can in the sink and wait for the cat to arrive.
Be sure to be near the garbage disposal switch, but stand very still.
(Just jog it - no need to be cruel)
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:21 pm

GMM2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen

And it's a serviette!
Whatever. I see the English Police is out (which I fed up with in England, I found it to be way too pompous and arrogant IMHO)!!!!! And I am an American in America and I call it a napkin if I want!!!!!

napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,n apkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,
napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,n apkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin,
napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin!!!!!!!

Last edited by GMM2003; Mar 19th 2008 at 5:29 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Why is it I've never seen an American eat with a knife and fork?

I first noticed this when I went on one of those 4 day cruises, everybody on board was American (except us of course) and so we dined all day every day in their company.

Since then it's become a bit of an obsession (yeh I know, sad or what?) but every time I eat out, I find myself looking to see if anyone uses a knife and fork.

Dunno about anyone else, but to me it doesn't look nice, even sweet little old ladies 'stabbing' at their food and struggling to get it on the fork.

So what's the deal?

i guess the deal is that they are simply not taught to eat as we are, as least that's my husbands excuse and i have read up on it to check

they stab the meat/food and cut it up into bite size pieces then swop the fork over to their other hand and put their left hand on their lap. that's the way to do it and i guess it's case of 'when in rome' however i eat the brit way, much easier for one thing. tbh it does revolt me when i see how some peeps put the huge piece of meat in their mouth without even cutting it up and then proceeding to bite it off with their teeth one of the reasons we don't eat out much here tbh.

can't be doing with all the paper plates and table clothes and plastic cutlery
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

Whatever. I see the English Police is out (which I fed up with in England, I found it to be way too pompous and arrogant IMHO)!!!!! And I am an American in America and I call it a napkin if I want!!!!!

napkin,napkin,napkin,napkin!!!!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Then I apologise
hey no need to apologise, this is BRITISH expats and you are telling it how you see it...and i agree it doesn't look nice infact it looks quite gross tbh however that's how they eat and we are in their country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.