Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Eating habits of Americans

Eating habits of Americans

Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:22 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating habits of Americans

This thread reminds me of a passage in a book I just read, "Wilderness at Dawn, The Settling of the North American Continent" by Ted Morgan. In the passage an early English settler (1600's) is explaining to friends back home the brutal and savage nature of the Indians. In an attempt to quantify the horrors he had experienced, he related to his friend how the Indians ate without using napkins...

The more things change...

BTW, it's and excellent book, and any of you interested in history and the American psyche would really enjoy it. It might answer some of the "Why are you as you are?" questions. Plus, and unusual for a book of this type, it has it's funny moments... really!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think where you stepped out of the curiosity zone and into the judgmental zone was saying that the American way of eating doesn't "look nice."
Then I apologise
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:23 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Dial up alert can't do youtube
The video is of Bush 41 at a 1992 summit in Tokyo, when he vomited on the Japanese prime minister just prior to passing out. Not a shining amount for American diplomacy.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
So let me get this straight. Are you saying if a person immigrates to another country they shouldn't question why people of said country do things differently to what the immigrant is used to? Do you not perceive it as the immigrant is intrigued / interested in the habits of his new country?

I DO accept everyone is not the same, that was why I asked. I was just intrigued....not saying either way is right or wrong.

It's like with people from the Middle Eastern countries, don't know if they still do it, but they used to eat with one hand and keep the other hand behind their back. The "non-eating hand" was to be kept for "toilet purposes"....they say there's a reason for everything, so just wondered if there was an interesting reason for the fork-only method is all.

No....go ahead and question. It's interesting to see the differences but maybe word your questioning differently.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:28 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Then I apologise
Weak. Call us all inbred swine, you know you want to...

Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Weak. Call us all inbred swine, you know you want to...
Hey, we tend to be LESS inbred.....
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:53 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It dates back to the Revolutionary War. It was much easier to attack the bloody Redcoats by keeping our forks in the right hand, as most of our glorious freedom fighters were naturally right-handed.

Early attempts to drive out the British by using spoons and cloth napkins failed, and it was the forks that turned the tide. Keeping our forks in the right hand reminds us of our stupendous victory against the Limey invasion force.

On the Fourth of July, we savor our victory by eating our burgers and hot dogs with our hands. This is not done merely for convenience, but remains a potent symbol of our freedom to relax and enjoy our sacred barbeque and fireworks free of the need for the defensive utensils that we used to push out our oppressors.

God Bless America, and may He forever defend our right to eat in peace, and without implements of destruction. Amen.
Good grief, that is good.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:59 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Good grief, that is good.
Yeah but I think the pie eating contests are sexual in origin.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:51 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I got second place in a mango pie eating contest once. I suffered horrific injuries too as the pie was still frozen inside and I cut my lip.

My wife was so proud.

Getting back to topic - I prefer how I eat, much more efficient. Doesn't bother me how Americans eat though, I just get to the second helping faster
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose it is simply that the difference in handling of utensils is so different that other diners become curious and watch. Just as Europeans will watch Americans, and Americans will watch Europeans.

As a raised American, I use both methods. Depends on what I'm eating, frankly. I worked for a Danish company at one time whose employees were British and Danish and American. It was fun in the lunchroom. I loved how Anna refused to pick up a slice of pizza but insisted on eating it with a knife and fork. Now, however, when we have a fully loaded pizza delivered, I find that I also use a knife and fork because it is to cumbersome to handle as fingerfood. But still use the handheld method for a cheese pizza.

Originally Posted by britex01
It amuses me when in the States how folk sorta glue their attention on me when I eat with a knife and fork in public nosh houses. When my TX OH first visited the UK she tried to adapt to knife and fork.

Old habits die hard though... She still eats the American way. Maybe this eating method stems from the old Wild West days, when out on the trail...

---
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the sharp edged fork ..but for peas :

http://www.invention.net/brown665.htm
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I eat peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It does taste kind of funny
But it keeps them on the knife!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Beans on toast, anything that needs regular cutting: Knife and fork, UK method.

Any meal with nothing that needs cutting: Just a fork.

Chinese and other far east food: Chopsticks, only way to go.

Pizza, chips, etc: Fingers.

The only time I ever use cutlery for a pizza is at Pizza Hut where the first slice is too hot and runny to handle. Once I get about halfway down that slice it's all calmed down a bit and is finger food again.

Despite my location in the Midwest I am also a proponent of the NY/NJ pizza slice fold (hold edge with thumb and middle finger, use index finger to push down on the edge, folding the slice through to the middle and stopping any toppings from escaping).
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know when the standard British method of eating with the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right hand came into general use? I wonder if you were a fly on the wall at an ordinary English family meal in 1880 or 1910 (or whenever,) you would see folks eating the standard American way? That is, using a fork or fingers as appropriate, and a knife only when needed.
Maybe the high-end silver-service type table setting (several utensils ranged to left and right of the plate) came in in the early nineteenth century, spread down through the middle classes late in the nineteenth century, and simply never made it to America?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:59 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

When my Dad came over to visit he tried to eat a hard taco with a knife and fork, which my wife found very amusing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.