Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

An easy one! Already married to a Merrycan...

An easy one! Already married to a Merrycan...

Old May 2nd 2009, 4:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An easy one! Already married to a Merrycan...

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Many thanks Chartreuse, all really good info. I hadn't thought about having to convert all assets into cash before applying for the visa. I see the $18,212 figure in the table but where do you get the 'three times' bit from? I've looked all the way through the I-864 section but couldn't find it. Thanks again. - Steve
Look in the section under 'assets'.

They don't have to be converted to cash beforehand, check out the definition. Just bear in mind that home equity is not as solid a figure as it used to be. If you'll be relying heavily on the house sale and have nothing else, it can be an issue; just be prepared with alternatives.
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Look in the section under 'assets'.

They don't have to be converted to cash beforehand, check out the definition. Just bear in mind that home equity is not as solid a figure as it used to be. If you'll be relying heavily on the house sale and have nothing else, it can be an issue; just be prepared with alternatives.
Hi Meauxna....... Luckily we wouldn't need to rely on the house sale to meet the figures quoted, although it might get a bit tight if the Pound drops any further against the Dollar! I still haven't found the three times bit though. I'm looking at the FAQ here and can only see something about five times the difference between income and poverty level. I think whichever way we go about it, we should probably try to secure employment first, which is probably going to be nigh on impossible!
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:58 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Meauxna....... Luckily we wouldn't need to rely on the house sale to meet the figures quoted, although it might get a bit tight if the Pound drops any further against the Dollar! I still haven't found the three times bit though. I'm looking at the FAQ here and can only see something about five times the difference between income and poverty level. I think whichever way we go about it, we should probably try to secure employment first, which is probably going to be nigh on impossible!
3x is a concession for marrieds rather than 5x. So the capital figure you need
=125%*"poverty guidelines"*3.
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The research has already been done for you: www.richw.org/dualcit.
Way too helpful! Thanks again
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your previous post had referenced the form so I thought that is where you were looking.
29. Total Value of Assets.
In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size. However,if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference.

Most of us who lived overseas while petitioning used assets, or a Joint Sponsor.
Old May 2nd 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Ah-Ha! All perfectly clear now. I was looking at I-864P and the FAQ on the website, rather than the actual 864 form itself. Thanks guys.
Steve