Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Drunk Driver Kills British Summer Camp Workers

Drunk Driver Kills British Summer Camp Workers

Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Drunk Driver Kills British Summer Camp Workers

How sad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...river-U-S.html

Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drunk Driver Kills British Summer Camp Workers

That is a terrible accident. I hope they lock up the bl**dy stupid idiot driver for a long time. I feel so bad for those kids parents and family.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I read that, but to be fair it could so easily have been anywhere in the world. It only made the British news because Britons were involved.

Having said that, they must have only been there a week or two at most but even so, must be terrible for the fellow counselors and campers, let alone the familes and friends. Summer camps really are a tight knit community from experience at two myself.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:08 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I read that, but to be fair it could so easily have been anywhere in the world. It only made the British news because Britons were involved.

Having said that, they must have only been there a week or two at most but even so, must be terrible for the fellow counselors and campers, let alone the familes and friends. Summer camps really are a tight knit community from experience at two myself.
Yes, it could have been anywhere in the world, but the US has far more of a drink-driving culture than the UK, for example. It is quite usual to see openly drunk people leaving bars and restaurants here and driving away into the night.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I read about it this morning. So terribly sad...so is this story.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed about the culture of drink-driving over here. It reminds me of how it used to be in UK 25+ years ago. RIP and my condolences for the family and friends left behind. I know the unexpected loss well. My half-sister died suddenly 5yrs ago from undiagnosed cancer. She was only 25. Sometimes when your numbers up, your number is up and there's nothing you can do about it.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:44 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

That's horrible. I was a camp counselor for 4 years in the 80's. I am still friends with a bunch of counselors from the UK that I met at camp. I met my best friend there and she married an English counselor . They lived in the states first and they have lived in the UK for 20 odd years. She goes back and works as the camp nurse now and her kids are campers.I went up to visit 5 years ago and it brought back so many great memories. I just spoke to her about this. They were some of the best summers I ever had and it's so sad . The camps are in small towns and on top of the drunk driving the roads there are terrible. Every year after camp I had loads of counselors stay at my parents house. Everyone was so appreciative and we all had a great time. Being a camp counselor is a great experience . I bartend and even though it's in NYC and most people don't drive I have no problem cutting someone off . It's so sad that these young lives were ruined by this bastard. I hope he pays dearly.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:47 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I read about it this morning. So terribly sad...so is this story.
It's awful. We were actually planning on going to the zoo this weekend. I can walk to it from my apartment. I'm going to give it a miss for a few more weeks.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by joto
That is a terrible accident. I hope they lock up the bl**dy stupid idiot driver for a long time. I feel so bad for those kids parents and family.
It's sad but no accident when he got behind the wheel drunk. He'll probably spend a couple of months inside, loose his licences for a year but nothing too bad, afterall, allmost everyone likes to drink and you can't stop them driving when they've had too much.

He should be put to death, i know it won't bring the other two back to life and i'm sure he's very sorry now bit it's the only sure way to stop him from doing it again.

Charles
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:12 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
He should be put to death, i know it won't bring the other two back to life and i'm sure he's very sorry now bit it's the only sure way to stop him from doing it again.

Charles
Bit harsh.. unfortunatly 2 people died. why would you want to give him the death penalty??? have you never run a stop sign have you never speeded are you the perfect driver.. if you have a crash and its your fault and you kill someone should you be put to death... sorry I dont like drunk drivers either but the death penalty is something that should be used as a last resort.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, doesn't Peter Goldblatt look like an utterly charming character....
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
It's sad but no accident when he got behind the wheel drunk. He'll probably spend a couple of months inside, loose his licences for a year but nothing too bad, afterall, allmost everyone likes to drink and you can't stop them driving when they've had too much.
I would think it would be a much more severe penalty than that, I'd imagine he'd be charged with vehicular homicide.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I would think it would be a much more severe penalty than that, I'd imagine he'd be charged with vehicular homicide.
It says: "The car driver, Peter Goldblatt, 39, has been charged with drink-driving and aggravated vehicular homicide."