Reload this Page >

Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Old Dec 17th 2023, 8:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Originally Posted by Pulaski
At the risk of being criticized for taking my own thread off-topic, we've hit the road again, this time in the UK, visiting my mother for Christmas. .... I booked a Volkswagen Tiguan, "or similar". What I have been given is not at all what I was expecting. OMG! Though at least it has a manual transmission, but any thoughts, based on this post, as to what I am driving for the next 10 days?
Austin Morris 1100 with free de-icer x2
Old Dec 18th 2023, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being criticized for taking my own thread off-topic, we've hit the road again, this time in the UK, visiting my mother for Christmas. .... I booked a Volkswagen Tiguan, "or similar". What I have been given is not at all what I was expecting. OMG! Though at least it has a manual transmission, but any thoughts, based on this post, as to what I am driving for the next 10 days?
Kia Sportage.
Old Dec 18th 2023, 12:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
A Mercedes AMG SUV!
I wish!
Originally Posted by BEVS
Austin Morris 1100 with free de-icer x2
Hmm. That would certainly have been interesting, but we'd have definitely have needed a roof rack! 😀 .... I believe that little Miss P would have complained about leg room in the back seat.
Originally Posted by sid nv
Kia Sportage.
That wouldn't have surprised me at all, but I did leave a clue when I posed the question earlier: "OMG!", .... or rather, I should have said: "Oh! MG?"

At the Europcar rental desk, I was handed a contactless key fob with an MG logo on it, and outside was a hideous pale blue, "Carvana blue", I would say, MG HS. That is not what I was expecting!

So far, my experience has been that it is "not as bad as I had feared". There is adequate leg room for the driver, the luggage space is limited - the luggage area is completely filled with two medium-sized suitcases. Luckily, anticipating precisely that situation, we had packed using only two suitcases (and bringing an empty holdall in case we need more room going back), but our carry-ons had to go in the back seat. Thankfully we're not a family of four, as it would be pretty useless, or if we had each brought a suitcase.

In any case, I intend to tell Europcar, that if they think that an MG is "similar to" a VW then I won't be renting from them again.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 18th 2023 at 12:38 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2023, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wish!

Hmm. That would certainly have been interesting, but we'd have definitely have needed a roof rack! 😀 .... I believe that little Miss P would have complained about leg room in the back seat.

That wouldn't have surprised me at all, but I did leave a clue when I posed the question earlier: "OMG!", .... or rather, I should have said: "Oh! MG?"

At the Europcar rental desk, I was handed a contactless key fob with an MG logo on it, and outside was a hideous pale blue, "Carvana blue", I would say, MG HS. That is not what I was expecting!

So far, my experience has been that it is "not as bad as I had feared". There is adequate leg room for the driver, the luggage space is limited - the luggage area is completely filled with two medium-sized suitcases. Luckily, anticipating precisely that situation, we had packed using only two suitcases (and bringing an empty holdall in case we need more room going back), but our carry-ons had to go in the back seat. Thankfully we're not a family of four, as it would be pretty useless, or if we had each brought a suitcase.

In any case, I intend to tell Europcar, that if they think that an MG is "similar to" a VW then I won't be renting from them again.

Had the same experience with Avis at Heathrow. We got an MG SUV as similar to what we had chosen.
This MG is a Japanese manufacturer and nothing to do with the British MG brand. Horrible car. No power at all and only just took our 2 cases.
We suspect that rental companies are getting cars 'built' to their specifications, as nothing we have had the last few times we have rented been anything like a standard car you would buy in the dealership.
Old Dec 18th 2023, 11:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Had the same experience with Avis at Heathrow. We got an MG SUV as similar to what we had chosen.
This MG is a Japanese manufacturer and nothing to do with the British MG brand. Horrible car. No power at all and only just took our 2 cases. ...
It's Chinese, not Japanese, and the HS I have (rented) has "SAIC Motors" molded into the edge of the headlight covers. SAIC is a Chinese state-owned corporation.

Also, legally SAIC owns the brand name for British MG sports cars - SAIC bought the rights from the liquidator of Rover Cars, as well as the production lines and equipment (which they promptly ripped out and shipped China despite reportedly promising not to do so ) when Rover Cars (the final incarnation of British Leyland) finally collapsed in the inevitable and undignified mess that it did. 😢

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 18th 2023 at 11:17 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2023, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

It's Chinese, not Japanese, and the HS I have (rented) has "SAIC Motors" molded into the edge of the headlight covers. SAIC is a Chinese state-owned corporation.

Also, legally SAIC owns the brand name for British MG sports cars - SAIC bought the rights from the liquidator of Rover Cars, as well as the production lines and equipment (which they promptly ripped out and shipped China despite reportedly promising not to do so ) when Rover Cars (the final incarnation of British Leyland) finally collapsed in the inevitable and undignified mess that it did. 😢
Don't they also own Volvo having bought Renault out?
Old Dec 19th 2023, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by quiltman
Don't they also own Volvo having bought Renault out?
I know the owner of Volvo is Chinese, but I don't remember and have never cared enough to look into who the owner is. ... And I wasn't aware that Renault had owned any part of Volvo. I thought that Ford had owned 100% of Volvo, and I can't imagine that Ford would have wanted a JV with Renault. 🤔
Old Dec 19th 2023, 9:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Geely bought Volvo from Ford.
Old Dec 20th 2023, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Well the truth has been revealed already, but I was hoping you were going to say, a Tesla or other EV ... since you hate them so much, I assumed perhaps that's why it was a noteworthy event!
Old Dec 20th 2023, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well the truth has been revealed already, but I was hoping you were going to say, a Tesla or other EV ... since you hate them so much, I assumed perhaps that's why it was a noteworthy event!
I was offered, but declined, a hybrid that was also an automatic. I would have declined either anyway.

Anyway, I am warming to the driving experience of this MG. I still hate "the idea of it", but it has taken a couple of days to learn how to get the most of the engine - keep the revs up, and shift often! 😃

If it was a small sports car, it would be great. I took it over to Monmouth and Raglan today, out on the A40 via Ross-on-Wye, and back through the Forest of Dean.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 20th 2023 at 8:13 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the opposite experience, in several ways, the first time we rented in the UK in about 2014. I didn't drive much before I got to the US, so when my wife and I booked a car for our week trip starting from Inverness airport, we booked a standard automatic. They provided us with what I think was the only automatic they had available, a Mercedes estate. I forget exactly which model, but it was much nicer than we were expecting and a lot of fun to drive along the Great Glen.

Of course, we had payback the only other time we've rented in the UK since, trying to fit a minivan around flocks of sheep in Snowdonia.
Old Dec 24th 2023, 11:34 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
I had the opposite experience, in several ways, the first time we rented in the UK in about 2014. I didn't drive much before I got to the US, so when my wife and I booked a car for our week trip starting from Inverness airport, we booked a standard automatic. They provided us with what I think was the only automatic they had available, a Mercedes estate. I forget exactly which model, but it was much nicer than we were expecting and a lot of fun to drive along the Great Glen.

Of course, we had payback the only other time we've rented in the UK since, trying to fit a minivan around flocks of sheep in Snowdonia.
This is often an issue, I always get “upgraded” renting an automatic in UK/Europe and sometimes have to refuse because the car is worth more than $75k, which is the max my CSR card provides primary coverage for… they then have to find me act I will accept worth less than that max.
Old Dec 25th 2023, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Stand corrected as to its origin .....