Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Old Aug 14th 2023, 6:53 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Such wonderful pictures Pulaski, no doubt the rain helped to clear the atmosphere but I wonder what camera/phone you used?

Last edited by btar; Aug 14th 2023 at 6:54 pm. Reason: Recognition of original author.
Old Aug 14th 2023, 8:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
Such wonderful pictures Pulaski, no doubt the rain helped to clear the atmosphere but ....
Thank you, I was also very pleased with them.
I wonder what camera/phone you used?
All the photos were taken using my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2023 at 9:08 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2023, 8:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It seems to be the thing in these parts. Not long after we arrived here, we went on a trip to the Oregon coast. While there we went to the fort Lewis and Clark built while they wintered at the end of their expedition. Turns out it was a replica of what they think the fort looked like, and as its exact location wasn't know they put the replica as near as they think the spot was. ...
It's about the same for the home in Appomattox Court House, VA (a community of that name, not a court house, and about 3 miles from Appomattox, VA, IIRC), where the Civil War was formally ended. The house was dismantled to take to the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893, (but I don't think it was actually assembled there ), but according to the information signs today at the home, which you can visit, in Appomattox Court House, VA the home was "reassembled" there. On speaking with one of the staff when we visited I learned that as a result of the disassembled home being left in a pile for some years, the timber structure was damaged, rotted, and eaten by termites to the extent that the original, authentic structure could not be reassembled and therefore what was actually "reassembled" was a replica.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2023 at 9:09 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2023, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you, I was also very pleased with them.

All the photos were taken using my Samsung Galaxy S20 SE.
It's f**ing amazing how good smartphone cameras have become! On our last trip (UK/Portugal), I left my 'good' camera at home and used my Samsung S10+ exclusively, and didn't regret it. You can still get better pictures with a bigger/dedicated camera, but the ease and convenience of the smartphone is quite compelling!

Can you elaborate on the 'S20 SE' though - I looked it up and could not find an "SE" model, only S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, S20 FE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S20 . I'm considering upgrading soon and wanted to compare camera specs.
Old Aug 14th 2023, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
... Can you elaborate on the 'S20 SE' though - I looked it up and could not find an "SE" model, .....
My mistake, it's an FE.

I think the FE was an end-of-the-model-year special, and I picked one up heavily discounted in June 2021 long after the S21 had been launched. Having kept my S4 for many years, until it was suffering several issues, I am thinking about upgrading it next year when I have had it for three years.
Old Aug 14th 2023, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

My mistake, it's an FE.

I think the FE was an end-of-the-model-year special, and I picked one up heavily discounted in June 2021 long after the S21 had been launched. Having kept my S4 for many years, until it was suffering several issues, I am thinking about upgrading it next year when I have had it for three years.
Interesting. Based on the wiki article, the FE shares the same 'default' lens / sensor (what they call 'wide', as opposed to 'ultrawide' and 'telephoto') with the S20 and S20+. Do you do most of your shooting with the 'default', 'wide' lens? I do with mine, only occasionally using the telephoto and never using the ultrawide). The specs on the S20's 'wide' lens looks about the same as my S10+ 'wide'. (S20: 12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.76"; S10: 12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26 mm (wide), 1/2.55"), though there may be sensor differences that could be significant. The S23 looks wild ... maybe it's time to upgrade! I got my S10+ in early 2020.

My g/f brought her iPhone 13 Pro Max with her; her pictures seemed comparable to mine overall. Her low-light shots looked better than mine, but her outdoor shots looked a bit 'over-processed' to my eye.

Do you leave HDR on? (or, was it on for the pictures in this thread)? I used to turn it off but it does a damn good job most of the time, so now I tend to leave it on.

Old Aug 18th 2023, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

One more great pic I found while looking through the pics of that trip - about 30 minutes north of Monument Valley, you can take a short detour to 'Goosnecks State Park' -

You can actually see the 'monuments' on the horizon in the distance.
To the northwest of Goosenecks, there's another amazing spot - Muley Point. It's higher up from the San Juan River and at the end of a hairy dirt road that was built to a uranium mine during the Cold War. An incredible spot to camp for the night and a nice view of Monument valley in the morning:

Old Aug 18th 2023, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So on Wednesday it didn't rain - the only day between leaving Denver and returning that it didn't rain!

Between where we spent Wednesday night and getting back to Denver on Thursday night is Pawnee National Grassland, which is partly federally owned, and partly private, but is a giant prairie grassland, so rather than whizzing along interstates we drove to and through the Pawnee National Grassland. It was almost certainly the most remote and desolate place I have ever visited - the above-mentioned Bear Tooth Pass was congested with traffic in comparison. Although we were driving along public roads, we drove about 50 miles on gravel (actually hard-packed fine grit and sand) roads for about 50 miles. We turn off onto a track to reach the "visitor center", which comprised a few information signs, a modern but rudimentary toilet building, and a couple of picnic tables with a roof over them.

If you want remote, that place is remote... sunrise when we camped there:

Old Aug 30th 2023, 5:59 pm

Interesting. Based on the wiki article, the FE shares the same 'default' lens / sensor (what they call 'wide', as opposed to 'ultrawide' and 'telephoto') with the S20 and S20+. Do you do most of your shooting with the 'default', 'wide' lens? I do with mine, only occasionally using the telephoto and never using the ultrawide). The specs on the S20's 'wide' lens looks about the same as my S10+ 'wide'. (S20: 12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.76"; S10: 12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26 mm (wide), 1/2.55"), though there may be sensor differences that could be significant. The S23 looks wild ... maybe it's time to upgrade! I got my S10+ in early 2020.

My g/f brought her iPhone 13 Pro Max with her; her pictures seemed comparable to mine overall. Her low-light shots looked better than mine, but her outdoor shots looked a bit 'over-processed' to my eye.

Do you leave HDR on? (or, was it on for the pictures in this thread)? I used to turn it off but it does a damn good job most of the time, so now I tend to leave it on.
[Sorry for the delay in replying]

You have told me vastly more than I ever knew about the camera in my phone. Although I used to be quite interested in photography, and had a Yashika SLR and several lenses, I haven't got around to transitioning to a digital SLR. I have a couple of digital point-and-shoot cameras, but like most people, got lazy about carrying it in addition to my phone.

I didn't choose this phone because of the camera, I like the Samsung brand, and beyond that about the only feature I went looking for was having a decent amount of storage, for music and pictures. I never even looked at the camera's specs.

So, what I know about the phone in my camera is restricted to [1] I know my phone has a camera, and [2] the camera has a zoom/wide angle feature, but that's about all I can tell you. I have never changed any settings, so given the image quality, I assume it's set to HD, but I'd have to go looking to even find where to look.

Little Miss P was carrying her Canon SLR during our road trip, and I am tempted to get a similar camera (at least same brand so we can share lenses) and get back to taking pictures with an SLR.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 30th 2023 at 6:02 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[Sorry for the delay in replying]

You have told me vastly more than I ever knew about the camera in my phone. Although I used to be quite interested in photography, and had a Yashika SLR and several lenses, I haven't got around to transitioning to a digital SLR. I have a couple of digital point-and-shoot cameras, but like most people, got lazy about carrying it in addition to my phone.

I didn't choose this phone because of the camera, I like the Samsung brand, and beyond that about the only feature I went looking for was having a decent amount of storage, for music and pictures. I never even looked at the camera's specs.

So, what I know about the phone in my camera is restricted to [1] I know my phone has a camera, and [2] the camera has a zoom/wide angle feature, but that's about all I can tell you. I have never changed any settings, so given the image quality, I assume it's set to HD, but I'd have to go looking to even find where to look.

Little Miss P was carrying her Canon SLR during our road trip, and I am tempted to get a similar camera (at least same brand so we can share lenses) and get back to taking pictures with an SLR.
I would be very interested in hearing from you in a few years about how that whole process went! I was a big fan of 'film' SLRs back in my teens/early 20s. More recently, I've bought several DSLRs (and similar higher-end digital cameras) and they are all collecting dust somewhere, or palmed off on e-bay.

Have you had a chance to look at her pictures from your recent trip and compare them to yours?

One thing to be 'ready for' if you do go the DSLR route is that the images you get 'straight from the camera' can be disappointing in many instances. They will capture far more of the actual image faithfully (especially if you shoot 'raw') - everything from the darkest dark bit to the lightest light bit - but that will not look 'good' in a casual sense - it will lack contrast, 'punch', saturation, vibrancy, etc. You are 'expected' to run the image through something like Photoshop or Lightroom, and make personal judgments as to what's important. The camera is essentially saying, "here's the whole enchilada; you decide what aspect you want to focus on" (shadow detail, sky detail, skin tones, etc). You may be able to apply some default settings that will give pleasing results, but chances are the 'straight-from-the-camera' images will not be as pleasing as those from your phone - which have been processed and manipulated heavily based in part on what they know humans like to see.

Without a doubt, the final image you can potentially get from a higher end camera will far exceed what you get from the phone, but you may need to expend some non-trivial effort to get there! I have thousands of old DSLR images, and I'm good with Photoshop, but I just can't be bothered to work on them!
Old Aug 31st 2023, 4:03 pm

.... Without a doubt, the final image you can potentially get from a higher end camera will far exceed what you get from the phone, but you may need to expend some non-trivial effort to get there! I have thousands of old DSLR images, and I'm good with Photoshop, but I just can't be bothered to work on them!
Thank you for the insight on the time and effort aspect. I will give that careful consideration before taking the plunge with a digital SLR.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the best way of cleaning a mobile phone lens? My phone was taking very good photos when I bought it but the quality has gone down.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by philat98
What is the best way of cleaning a mobile phone lens? My phone was taking very good photos when I bought it but the quality has gone down.
Dunno, I haven't cleaned mine in months, probably not this year. .... When I do it's usually going to be on a clean shirt or cotton handkerchief.
Old Dec 17th 2023, 8:33 am

At the risk of being criticized for taking my own thread off-topic, we've hit the road again, this time in the UK, visiting my mother for Christmas. .... I booked a Volkswagen Tiguan, "or similar". What I have been given is not at all what I was expecting. OMG! Though at least it has a manual transmission, but any thoughts, based on this post, as to what I am driving for the next 10 days?
Old Dec 17th 2023, 4:09 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

A Mercedes AMG SUV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.