Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do English Muffins Exist In England

Wikiposts

Do English Muffins Exist In England

Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:40 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do English Muffins Exist In England

The Associated Press (AP) and Modern Language Association (MLA) call for only the apostrophe when the noun ends in S – Kansas’, Arkansas’, boss’, and rowboats’. But Strunk & White and the current Chicago Manual of Style (CMS) prefer the apostrophe S for all uses – Kansas’s, Arkansas’s, boss’s, and rowboats’s. But at least these guides offer a blanket rule. Other guides provide more convoluted advice.

The New York Times and Boston Globe use apostrophe S when the final S is not sibilant – so Arkansas’s but Kansas’, boss’, and rowboats'.

Has it always been this confused? Apparently, a century ago, the Chicago Manual called for apostrophe S with one-syllable words, but longer words received only the apostrophe – boss’s but Arkansas’. Later, CMS swung into the MLA camp, but its most recent edition changed course again.

Other academic guides – APA, AMA, and ACS – largely avoid the issue.

Frustrated by the confusion, the Legal Times turned to the United States Supreme Court in 2006. But as usual, they found the Court deeply divided. In the case of Kansas vs. Marsh, the Legal Times found 7 justices preferred Kansas’ in their opinions, while 2 (Scalia and Souter) used Kansas’s.
https://www.grammarly.com/answers/qu...s-ending-in-s/

Personally, I find it difficult to side with Scalia about anything. (Not really surprising that he would have insisted on having something to the right of the apostrophe.)
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:51 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Beetons cook book had recipes for both crumpets and muffins (with potatoes).

http://www.recipesource.com/baked-go...crumpets1.html
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. What was sold elsewhere as crumpets were pikelets in Yorkshire when I lived in Sheffield as a child. FWIW my mother lived in Hull until she married, and "pikelets" is the word she uses.
It was the same in Lincolnshire.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was also taught that possessive on a single noun ending in an "s" was indicated by "s' ". ..... I am not a woman, nor was I born an American, nor taught at a catholic school, nor indeed a school in the US. There seems to have been a creeping tendency to move to "...s's " to indicate possession of a noun ending in "s".

I am not sure how I would pluralize Thomas if it wasn't to Thomases.

I don't recall ever seeing "can not", but I do see "can't" frequently and I was taught that contractions such as can't, won't, don't, doesn't etc. had no place in narrative writing, except when quoting what someone said.
I went to a state (Church of England) School in the UK...hubby went to a Catholic school. Neither of us would use Thomases. We would use Thomas's hat or Thomas' hats if it were in the plural. The example I was given at school was...the boy's hat...the boys' hats. Words ending with an 's' are no different.

We were also taught never to use the word got...and not to abbreviate words. On here I have fallen into the habit of abbreviating can't, won't, etc. . I use can't or cannot but never can not unless the auto correct has stepped in and I haven't noticed. Sorry I should have wrote...have not. I cringe every time I hear or see the word 'gotten'.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 6:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I went to a state (Church of England) School in the UK...hubby went to a Catholic school. Neither of us would use Thomases. ....
So what is the plural of Thomas?
.... We were also taught never to use the word got .... I cringe every time I hear or see the word 'gotten'. ....
You're just not a proper American.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 6:07 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I cringe every time I hear or see the word 'gotten'.
I feel the same way; however when I once mentioned this to my father many years ago, he pointed out that it is in fact old English and that his mother would use it.

PS wouldn't you use Thomases as a straight plural, "We are having dinner with the Thomases," just as you would say the Joneses?
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the plural of Thomas?

You're just not a proper American.
Thomas'

Of course I'm not...nor do I wish to be.
I may have a US PP but I am a Brit through and through and always will be.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I feel the same way; however when I once mentioned this to my father many years ago, he pointed out that it is in fact old English and that his mother would use it.

PS wouldn't you use Thomases as a straight plural, "We are having dinner with the Thomases," just as you would say the Joneses?
Both forms "Thomas' and Thomas's" are correct singular possessive nouns. When spoken however this comes across as "Thomases'.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 8:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas' ....
Since when can you turn a noun, any noun, into its plural form by adding an apostrophe?

Nutmegger and I are not talking about plural possessives, just more than one Thomas or Jones.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 8:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Since when can you turn a noun, any noun, into its plural form by adding an apostrophe?

Nutmegger and I are not talking about plural possessives, just more than one Thomas or Jones.
I would use 's. My head is starting to hurt.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 8:49 am

I would use 's. My head is starting to hurt. .....
You could also use #s I suppose, if you want.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 9:04 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly -- as in Mr. and Mrs. Pulaski collectively being the Pulaskis, Mr. and Mrs. Jerseygirl being the Jerseygirls, and Mr. and Mrs. Nutmegger being the Nutmeggers..
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You could also use #s I suppose, if you want.
I did not know I needed permission but thank you young man.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its been too long to say how things were taught in school, amazed how good your memories are......lol

This is what the company says on the topic....

"When a name such as Thomas ends with an "s" and is used as possessive of something such as English muffins, an apostrophe can be added after the "s" or an apostrophe "s" can be used. It has been the desire of our Company to use the apostrophe after the "s." Thomas’ is a registered trademark of Bimbo Bakeries USA."
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We were also taught never to use the word got
Same here. Nor the word want.

"I want does not get".
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Exactly -- as in Mr. and Mrs. Pulaski collectively being the Pulaskis, Mr. and Mrs. Jerseygirl being the Jerseygirls, and Mr. and Mrs. Nutmegger being the Nutmeggers..
That is only adding a 's' to the name. You are adding 'es' to names ending with 's'...whereas I add 's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.