Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do Dual Status returns/refunds take longer to receive?

Do Dual Status returns/refunds take longer to receive?

Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do Dual Status returns/refunds take longer to receive?

Ok - so I filed my federal and state returns manually on March 18th ... it is now Tax Day and when I check the Where's my Refund bit of the IRS website, they are still claiming they haven't received anything and to wait 4 weeks. Even though it is nearly 4 weeks now.

I was wondering if new residents who filed Dual-status returns take longer to get processed by the IRS, it being the first time of filing?

I know ... be patient ...

Oh - I sent them certified, and someone did sign for them. So I do have that as proof.

Hoffage
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Dual Status returns/refunds take longer to receive?

I don't think you should be worrying......read thru this page:

Additional information about New York State income tax refunds

In CA they were saying it's was taking 6 - 8 wks. to process returns that were mailed rather than e-filed.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "manually" do you mean you sent in paper or that you did you own traces and efiled?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
When you say "manually" do you mean you sent in paper or that you did you own traces and efiled?
I completed a paper return.

Hoffage
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MMcD
I don't think you should be worrying......read thru this page:

Additional information about New York State income tax refunds

In CA they were saying it's was taking 6 - 8 wks. to process returns that were mailed rather than e-filed.
Thanks MMcD - I was thinking it was the case, but good to get the reassurance as well

Hoffage
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I had to send in the paper federal return a couple of years ago. It took about 5 weeks for it to show on the "where's my refund" page and about a week after that for the refund to be approved and than another 10 days I think to get the money.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Only just noticed you filed your Federal taxes by mail as well
Found this on IRS website:

"When can I start checking on my refund status?
You can start checking on the status of your return within 24 hours after we have received your electronically filed tax return or 4 weeks after you mail a paper tax return."

It's here:
2015 Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions
Old Apr 16th 2015, 3:00 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Ok - so I filed my federal and state returns manually on March 18th ... it is now Tax Day and when I check the Where's my Refund bit of the IRS website, they are still claiming they haven't received anything and to wait 4 weeks. Even though it is nearly 4 weeks now.

I was wondering if new residents who filed Dual-status returns take longer to get processed by the IRS, it being the first time of filing?

Oh - I sent them certified, and someone did sign for them. So I do have that as proof.

Hoffage
My dual status refund arrived within a fortnight of sending them to the IRS in 2014.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
My dual status refund arrived within a fortnight of sending them to the IRS in 2014.
I guess it must just be a case of YMMV. Thanks Horace
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I completed a paper return.

Hoffage
That's your problem. I e-filed within a week of you. OSC filing jointly. Prepared by HR Block. Federal refund was ~10 days after receipt of filing (same day as filed) and the OR state refund was 4 days later.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TimFountain
That's your problem. I e-filed within a week of you. OSC filing jointly. Prepared by HR Block. Federal refund was ~10 days after receipt of filing (same day as filed) and the OR state refund was 4 days later.
OSC?

Yes, because I filed as married,separate and it was my first tax return as a dual status resident, I had to file a paper return. There was no option for me to e-file unfortunately, as due to our circumstances we decided not to file a joint return.

Hoffage
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoffage
Off topic but I file in both the UK and the USA, I get a refund in the UK for Tax I pay in the USA. I normally get the refund from HMRC in a couple of days which has always amazed me!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I checked where's my refund yesterday, and the IRS have confirmed they have my return. Yay. I think.