Diesel Cars

Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diesel Cars

They can be nice, and can rag them pretty hard which is fun, when there a rental but I'd stay away from the second hand ones as they are probably knackered, especially if there a few years old and have glow plugs because, well people don't have a clue and probably knackered the engine.

Main problem is finding a garage that'll sell diesel, especially if you plan on driving around a bit...but then you could always use veg oil and stink like a chippy...well there's a bloke over in the next town that use to get the oil from the canteen for free and it was great in his motor, but you really could smell him driving a mile off *l*
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:53 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Funny....
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
They can be nice, and can rag them pretty hard which is fun, when there a rental but I'd stay away from the second hand ones as they are probably knackered, especially if there a few years old and have glow plugs because, well people don't have a clue and probably knackered the engine.

Main problem is finding a garage that'll sell diesel, especially if you plan on driving around a bit...but then you could always use veg oil and stink like a chippy...well there's a bloke over in the next town that use to get the oil from the canteen for free and it was great in his motor, but you really could smell him driving a mile off *l*

yep, when katrina hit some guys that ran veg oil in their diesel pickups were the only ones around to deliver aid when none of the gas stations had any fuel ...

basically all you need to do is change the engine oil and fuel filters.. which is an easy DIY job, so you can save a lot of $ on routine maintenence.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:17 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't buy a diesel in the US or Canada:

-Diesel is more expensive than gas in the US
-Most fuel stations don't sell it
-Few mechanics who know how to work on them
-Minimal demand at resale

VW reliability is pretty poor for many of the US-market cars, I also wouldn't trust the Mexican-made cars (Jetta, Beetle).

I can understand owning one in Europe, given the lower fuel prices and their greater popularity. But in the US, I'd stay with gasoline/petrol cars unless the situation changes (and my guess is that it won't).
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:02 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I wouldn't buy a diesel in the US or Canada:

-Most fuel stations don't sell it
I think it's regional. I can't think of a gas station in this area that doesn't sell diesel. As for the price relative to gas - seems to depend on the phase of the moon. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more expensive, and sometimes a lot more expensive.

For me, there just isn't a diesel car available here that I would want right now.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:05 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
And in the UK..............
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
And in the UK..............

since the gas has gone through the roof here diesel is actually cheaper at the moment!!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:06 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
since the gas has gone through the roof here diesel is actually cheaper at the moment!!

don't know how much diesel is round here- the stations I pass don't post the diesel price, though I think most of them can supply it.

I wonder why diesel hasn't tracked the gas price up?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:40 pm

don't know how much diesel is round here- the stations I pass don't post the diesel price, though I think most of them can supply it.
oh yes they do.....filled up this morning at kroger - 2.69 regular (after 10c) card discount) and 2.75 for diesel
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes they do.....filled up this morning at kroger - 2.69 regular (after 10c) card discount) and 2.75 for diesel

I think Diesel has come down - i had a uhaul last year and it was 3.60 something for Derv!! Its cheaper down south whatever you drive based on your last post though!!!