Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Demoted because I'm not a US citizen

Demoted because I'm not a US citizen

Old Dec 14th 2018, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Demoted because I'm not a US citizen

Whether you believe everything happens for a reason or not, there's no denying there's at least a raging coincidence here...

Just yesterday, a member of staff in the only department in my office building that deals solely with commercial loans, resigned. Handed in his two weeks notice. (I know the guy and had heard rumour that he'd received a job offer elsewhere, so I guess he must have accepted it.) So, just like that, this morning his position was offered to me. I start on Monday! I truly cannot believe it. Bizarrely it sees both a promotion and a pay cut all at once - I'll suck up the latter and be glad for the former - but most importantly, I get to keep my delicious Monday to Friday, 8-4.30 schedule. I could not be more pleased.

Thank you all for your support in this thread, and for continuing the interesting conversation re. clearances. Fingers crossed this will inform future readers and deter them from applying for jobs they perhaps should never get. (And hopefully my HR department, while wonderfully accommodating and helpful, have learned something and now won't make the same mistake with anyone else.)
Old Dec 14th 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

That is such great news. Congratulations and enjoy your weekend
Old Dec 14th 2018, 4:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

When a door shuts, another normally opens

Good news!

Last edited by civilservant; Dec 14th 2018 at 4:56 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 4:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! It's always nice to hear about good things happening to good people!
Old Dec 14th 2018, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I love a happy ending or a happy beginning!
Have a great stress less weekend.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm sorry that this has happened K, and it sucks, but frankly I'm surprised that a GC Holder was ever allowed to go near Federal information. It has been known on this board for some time that if the words 'security clearance' are involved LPRs need not apply.
I'm having to go through this process now as theoretically at least I may be accessing computers on which federal government information is stored. But, the requirement is citizen or LPR, plus proof of residence in the US. Interestingly, the form I'm submitting distinguishes between "citizen" and "naturalized citizen".
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much! Sadly I'm curled up on the sofa today with a cold that's finally peaked, so the celebrations will be rather sedate, but my oh my am I glad the stress is over. I can watch horrible American TV without distraction!

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm having to go through this process now as theoretically at least I may be accessing computers on which federal government information is stored. But, the requirement is citizen or LPR, plus proof of residence in the US. Interestingly, the form I'm submitting distinguishes between "citizen" and "naturalized citizen".
That's what my job advertisement said, too. The only requirement for applicants was that they be a US citizen or alien authorised to work. Hopefully HR will update their guidance to reflect the change in protocol (though from what civilservant says, I'm wondering if this has always been the case and HR just got something wrong. Twice).

You've been around on these boards for a long time - are you a US citizen? Hopefully you won't have to concern yourself with the uncertainties that I faced. And regardless, I wish you luck in your new job.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
That's what my job advertisement said, too. The only requirement for applicants was that they be a US citizen or alien authorised to work. Hopefully HR will update their guidance to reflect the change in protocol (though from what civilservant says, I'm wondering if this has always been the case and HR just got something wrong. Twice).

You've been around on these boards for a long time - are you a US citizen? Hopefully you won't have to concern yourself with the uncertainties that I faced. And regardless, I wish you luck in your new job.
Not a new job, just an added requirement to be able to do one aspect of the work my group is now responsible for. I work at a large company that employs legions of lawyers, so I am going to assume they get this stuff right. I am a US citizen, so there isn't an issue for me personally, but if they do end up excluding LPRs, it's going to be unfortunate given the number of people here that have that status.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
... if they do end up excluding LPRs, it's going to be unfortunate given the number of people here that have that status.
My thoughts exactly. I don't know the status of my colleagues' residencies etc., but I hear a lot of non-American accents in my building. Horrible to imagine some of them could be affected, especially if they've been in their jobs a long while. It might be possible that their jobs will be safe if their federal clearances are done and dusted - it was never made clear to me whether current LPR employees would have their access revoked, or if they just wont grant it to new ones.

Glad to know you won't be affected personally.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Side issue I know, but I wouldn't vote for anyone who'd been resident in my country for 30 years but hadn't bothered to become a citizen.
I guess the good burghers of Dagenham would disagree. Their MP from 1983-1994, Bryan Gould, was from New Zealand and never naturalized. He was a shadow minister and ran for Labour Party Leader. He returned to New Zealand a couple of years later where he embarked on a new career in academia and the media.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news! Congrats!
Old Dec 17th 2018, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really sorry to hear that the change in rules caused you to lose your position, it must be a huge blow for you. Reading your post, I was struck by how rationally and optimistically you're viewing the situation, despite your very understandable disappointment. Exactly the sort of person that any employer would value, and the fact that HR worked so hard to find you an alternative position demonstrates that you are indeed valued.

With your experience and obvious emotional intelligence, I reckon you'll end up running that commercial loan department! Best wishes to you and your family for a great Christmas and a happy, successful 2019
+1 ... couldn't have said it better myself!

Good Luck to the OP!
Old Dec 17th 2018, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Side issue I know, but I wouldn't vote for anyone who'd been resident in my country for 30 years but hadn't bothered to become a citizen.
I got around to getting my US citizenship only recently ... well, about 10 years ago now but I'd been here 25 years by then! For me, I simply had no compelling reason to go through all the paperwork and I was just so busy. I kept downloading all the forms, and starting the process, but the need to document every trip outside the US just killed me - part of my early career here was flying all over the world dealing with software issues, and getting all that together was tough (back in the 80s/90s, you didn't have the same sort of electronic records you have now - I was rummaging through old boxes of receipts, trying to correlate with credit card bills (also on paper!). Finally, I took the advice of a good friend and PAID an attorney to help me. The simple fact of forking out a thousand bucks or whatever it was motivated me to complete the process
Old Dec 17th 2018, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whether you believe everything happens for a reason or not, there's no denying there's at least a raging coincidence here...

Just yesterday, a member of staff in the only department in my office building that deals solely with commercial loans, resigned. Handed in his two weeks notice. (I know the guy and had heard rumour that he'd received a job offer elsewhere, so I guess he must have accepted it.) So, just like that, this morning his position was offered to me. I start on Monday! I truly cannot believe it. Bizarrely it sees both a promotion and a pay cut all at once - I'll suck up the latter and be glad for the former - but most importantly, I get to keep my delicious Monday to Friday, 8-4.30 schedule. I could not be more pleased.

Thank you all for your support in this thread, and for continuing the interesting conversation re. clearances. Fingers crossed this will inform future readers and deter them from applying for jobs they perhaps should never get. (And hopefully my HR department, while wonderfully accommodating and helpful, have learned something and now won't make the same mistake with anyone else.)
That is FANTASTIC news! Made my day
Old Dec 17th 2018, 7:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That's the BEST news!! So pleased for you