Brexit & Air Travel

Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brexit & Air Travel

I ask this question purely in practical terms of traveling to and from the UK after Brexit.

As it is looking more likely this will happen without a deal in place and maybe without a customs union deal in place, is it likely to effect those traveling to/from the UK who transit within the Schengen area. I normally transit in Amsterdam and all flights currently arrive/depart from the non Schengen area, so I was assuming nothing will change. I will admit to not following this very much but seeing the steps being proposed to overcome the anticipated delays to cross channel traffic through the sea ports I started to wonder about air travel.

Just starting to plan a trip back about June time, and I can also transit in either Atlanta or New York onto a Manchester flight but normally not as convenient as Amsterdam. Am I right in assuming as far as air travel goes nothing much will change, even without a Brexit deal?
Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit & Air Travel

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just starting to plan a trip back about June time, and I can also transit in either Atlanta or New York onto a Manchester flight but normally not as convenient as Amsterdam. Am I right in assuming as far as air travel goes nothing much will change, even without a Brexit deal?
Who knows, but your assumption may not be right.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUSKCN1MY1XL
Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What potential problems are you anticipating?
Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I ask this question purely in practical terms of traveling to and from the UK after Brexit.

As it is looking more likely this will happen without a deal in place and maybe without a customs union deal in place, is it likely to effect those traveling to/from the UK who transit within the Schengen area. I normally transit in Amsterdam and all flights currently arrive/depart from the non Schengen area, so I was assuming nothing will change. I will admit to not following this very much but seeing the steps being proposed to overcome the anticipated delays to cross channel traffic through the sea ports I started to wonder about air travel.

No, You can't assume anything about Brexit. A n ideal would disrupt all EU/UK flights after the cliff dive. Just let's hope that doesn't happen
Old Oct 26th 2018, 10:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What potential problems are you anticipating?
At the moment there are no customs or immigration checks if one is in transit and staying in the non Schengen part of the airport. While logically there is no reason for that to change I wondered if there had been any discussion about possible changes. Only takes one side to be bloody minded.

The connection coming back to the US is a bit tight with only one non stop daily to my home airport. Any extra time taken for border controls and I would probably have to leave Manchester the night before, which makes a 4 or 5 hour transit in either New York or Atlanta a less arduous option. Just trying to educate myself as to what might lay ahead.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Who knows, but your assumption may not be right.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUSKCN1MY1XL
Thanks I hadn’t seen that article.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

nearpost1 is an unknown quantity at this point

As I understand it parliament has the ability to reject a hard Brexit or a no deal Brexit. They can force the govt to stay in the status quo (which will suit the eu). In my humble opinion parliament will do precisely that if the govt don’t do the same thing by a) agreeing to an extension of 12 months, or b)agreeing to a backstop (an indeterminate extension)
Old Oct 27th 2018, 1:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment there are no customs or immigration checks if one is in transit and staying in the non Schengen part of the airport. While logically there is no reason for that to change I wondered if there had been any discussion about possible changes. Only takes one side to be bloody minded.

The connection coming back to the US is a bit tight with only one non stop daily to my home airport. Any extra time taken for border controls and I would probably have to leave Manchester the night before, which makes a 4 or 5 hour transit in either New York or Atlanta a less arduous option. Just trying to educate myself as to what might lay ahead.
Immigration policy relating to third country nationals still resides with individual EU member states so unless the Dutch government unilaterally decides to require British citizens to hold a visa for any kind of travel to the Netherlands, including transit, you will be fine.

Thanks I hadn’t seen that article.
If the EU decides, under the Chicago Convention, to refuse the UK permission to fly over EU countries then the UK can do likewise and the whole of European air travel would grind to a halt. Technically possible but politically inconceivable.

Originally Posted by nearpost1
As I understand it parliament has the ability to reject a hard Brexit or a no deal Brexit. They can force the govt to stay in the status quo (which will suit the eu). In my humble opinion parliament will do precisely that if the govt don’t do the same thing by a) agreeing to an extension of 12 months, or b)agreeing to a backstop (an indeterminate extension)
Parliament has been promised a ‘meaningful’ vote on the government’s Brexit proposal. The ‘no deal’ Brexit is the default position on 29th March as Article 50 has already been triggered by Parliament through the EU Withdrawal Act so effectively they’ll be voting for whatever deal the government can get or no deal at all. Not much of a choice.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

BritinParis I humbly disagree with you. Parliament has the capacity to vote down a no deal Brexit. One excuse they can use is that they don’t like the default wto deal that we would wind up in.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...nd-brexit-deal
Old Oct 27th 2018, 3:28 am

BritinParis I humbly disagree with you. Parliament has the capacity to vote down a no deal Brexit. One excuse they can use is that they don’t like the default wto deal that we would wind up in.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...nd-brexit-deal
That article only confirms what I wrote.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

That article only confirms what I wrote.
my apologies, I thought you were saying that crashing out via a no deal Brexit, and all the chaos it would bring, was an option.

Old Oct 27th 2018, 3:43 am

my apologies, I thought you were saying that crashing out via a no deal Brexit, and all the chaos it would bring, was an option.
Leaving without a deal on 29 March 2019 is the default position as it the only thing which has been legislated for. Anything else is speculation at the moment.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Leaving without a deal on 29 March 2019 is the default position as it the only thing which has been legislated for. Anything else is speculation at the moment.
I am no parliamentary expert, but confronted with the unthinkable, I am sure you would agree that if the legislation is not already there, they will quickly find, or create and pass it.

edit: should hasten to add, we’ll never find out as P.M. won’t let it get to that.

Last edited by nearpost1; Oct 27th 2018 at 3:53 am. Reason: Extra detail
Old Oct 27th 2018, 9:33 am

I am no parliamentary expert, but confronted with the unthinkable, I am sure you would agree that if the legislation is not already there, they will quickly find, or create and pass it.

edit: should hasten to add, we’ll never find out as P.M. won’t let it get to that.
It’s not in Parliament’s gift any longer as the EU is now part of the equation. You’d need a new piece of primary legislation to nullify the EU Withdrawal Act which the government would need to timetable and support (which it won’t), get through both Houses (which it won’t) and then you’d need to go to the EU to try and reverse the Article 50 process, which is legally untested, all before 29th March (which is wishful thinking).
Old Oct 27th 2018, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

It’s not in Parliament’s gift any longer as the EU is now part of the equation. You’d need a new piece of primary legislation to nullify the EU Withdrawal Act which the government would need to timetable and support (which it won’t), get through both Houses (which it won’t) and then you’d need to go to the EU to try and reverse the Article 50 process, which is legally untested, all before 29th March (which is wishful thinking).
Legal and political machinations aside, and I am indeed speculating here, in much the same way a driver would, as he wonders if he will stop his vehicle before driving it off a cliff, there will be no hard Brexit Paris. It’s conceivable we have one or two people in government bent on suicide, but the vast majority are not.

As for the EU, their door is always open to a reversal of Brexit. When the dust settles it’ll be either a reversal of Article 50, an indefinite extension, or BINO
(Brexit in name only).

Last edited by nearpost1; Oct 27th 2018 at 2:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.