Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost of an Accidental Fall

Originally Posted by Michael
You file bankruptcy. If it is a county hospital, they'll take whatever they can get but usually not more than about 10% and write the rest off as paid in full.

So right. Hospital put a lien on a friend's home for bill for doing a stent. He thought he had medical insurance only to discover that it lapsed the day before surgery because of a late premium payment. Sucks big time.

Was put on a monthly plan to pay the hospital
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that I heard (or read) somewhere that overdue medical bills DO NOT affect your credit like others do.

Of course a declaration of bankruptcy is a different matter.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:27 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I'm pretty sure that I heard (or read) somewhere that overdue medical bills DO NOT affect your credit like others do.
My experience is that that is only correct if the medical institution decides to keep the debt in-house (ie not sell it to a collection agency) and not report it to the credit agencies.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
So if you are coming to the US to live, please do not discount the need for quality, well paying healthcare. It is essential to a good life in the States.
I am glad you are feeling somewhat better and that you have good insurance. However, I'm sure you mean well when you give that advice, but health insurance is something that the most responsible people with the best laid plans can lose through no fault of their own.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good to know, Rete.

Regarding newcomers on BE, I've noticed they often say, "I'm very healthy and so don't need to worry about health insurance."
You never do till you do... Just like good car drivers lol

Glad the insurance is taking care of you, Rete and that you're on the mend.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Obviously didn't know that private hospitals in the UK don't usually accept emergencies.
Back at uni, mate fell off the back of a Jeep and smashed his face in but we are only down the street from the hospital in Windsor. Turned out to be a private hospital and they told GS to piss off
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
When I had mine out 5 years ago (supposed to be a day surgery in & out but turn out to be more complicated) I was in for a week and had to have 4 different procedures, after the bills totaled around $90,000 my out of pocket was $1500.
Ugh! Don't tell me that! Not so much the money part (will deal with that later, I know...) but the complication part..

They say my surgery is at 8:30 and I should be ready to go home by noon! That's what I want!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Ugh! Don't tell me that! Not so much the money part (will deal with that later, I know...) but the complication part..

They say my surgery is at 8:30 and I should be ready to go home by noon! That's what I want!
My 87 year old MIL had hers removed 2 years ago with no problems...she bounced back to her normal self quickly.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
My experience is that that is only correct if the medical institution decides to keep the debt in-house (ie not sell it to a collection agency) and not report it to the credit agencies.
Indeed. We've had one bill after insurance we had to pay $5 towards but they sent it to an old address. Two weeks past due they sold that to a collections agency and that was a nightmare to sort out.

This was from a lab in the hospital, but the only lab that didn't have the hospital process things centrally.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Back at uni, mate fell off the back of a Jeep and smashed his face in but we are only down the street from the hospital in Windsor. Turned out to be a private hospital and they told GS to piss off
There was a large sign outside the private hospital in Chester saying that they do not except emergencies and patients are seen by appointment only.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My 87 year old MIL had hers removed 2 years ago with no problems...she bounced back to her normal self quickly.

I have four weeks before I get on a plane to the UK to see my older daughter and the grands...
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

I have four weeks before I get on a plane to the UK to see my older daughter and the grands...
Not sure that she even had keyhole surgery as the docs warned her that she may have to have her bowel removed...but when they took a look it was her gall bladder that was giving her problems.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure that she even had keyhole surgery as the docs warned her that she may have to have her bowel removed...but when they took a look it was her gall bladder that was giving her problems.
Well they know it's my gallbladder (based on my very expensive HIDA scan last month...) But I don't have any excruciating pain, just a dull ache on my side, nausea etc.. Apparently my gallbladder is not ejecting at the rate it's supposed to, so the best recommendation is to take it out. Well ok, and he did say I could wait until I came back... But I hate to spend 5 weeks over there not feeling well if I can have a simple surgery and feel better. Well that's the plan anyway...

Anyway
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:09 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Of course a declaration of bankruptcy is a different matter.
I'm sure that hospitals vary in their approach. But I think that it's reasonable to generalize that they often try to work out a payment plan that gets them paid in full within a couple of years, and if they can't, then they'll sell the account to a collection agency.

And of course, in the US, you often end up with several bills, not just one. Get surgery, for example, and the hospital, surgeons, anesthesia, and lab work all generate separate invoices....
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:20 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is correct unless the doctor has retired from the NHS. A consultant I knew said his NHS work was his bread and butter...the private work was the jam.
I think that one of the key differences between the US and everywhere else is that in the US, the insurer's relationship is primarily with the medical provider, while elsewhere, it's with the patient.

So here, it's a matter of whether the insurer's "network" has the stuff that you want within it, while abroad, the insurer's focus is on whoever is paying the premiums, since the only feature that they can use to distinguish themselves is better service. (They aren't getting better pricing nor do they have their own pool of unique providers.) Ironically, a completely free market for healthcare actually provides less choice, while costing more money simultaneously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.