Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Cost of an Accidental Fall

As most know, I fell off the platform, onto the train tracks, at Grand Central 2-1/2 months ago.

Well the statements from my healthcare provider are trickling in and I have to say I am ever so glad to have excellent coverage.

The bill from the ER is over $16,000.00 and the bill for the ambulance was $719.00. Add on to that weekly visits to the orthopedic surgeon, weekly x-rays, surgery three weeks later, prescription meds, slings, car charges to various appointments, etc.

We are talking in the field of $28,000 and we are not finished yet. Still do not have full range of motion in my arm and I still have a good deal of pain and nerve damage to contend with.

Thankfully, my portion of all this are co-pays. $100 per hospital visit, $50 for the ambulance and $25 for each visit and x-ray for the doctor. I've paid out over $450. Thank heavens, I had good healthcare.

So if you are coming to the US to live, please do not discount the need for quality, well paying healthcare. It is essential to a good life in the States.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost of an Accidental Fall

I'm so glad you have good insurance too.

Dh was sick in 2010/11 in 2011 he managed to rack up over $25,000 in bills and he never ended up in an ambulance, hospital, or needed surgery.
This was doctor visits, bloodwork, and meds. His cost was $100, deductible and $5 a month for meds. Best insurance we ever had, had this happened before getting the job he has now we had a $15,000 deductible
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting ready to have gallbladder surgery this week (it's supposed to be laparoscopic ) Not sure what my surgery will cost for an uncomplicated outpatient gallbladder removal, but if my insurance website can be believed, around $25k! Once the deductible is met, our insurance covers 90%...

Hopefully I'll be in the UK on vacation once the bills start streaming in...
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

This shows why the US is sometimes regarded as an overly litigious society: if you don't have good insurance, and even if you DO but your coverage only pays 90% of the bills, then if you're injured and it's not your fault, you really don't have much choice but to sue for damages if only to meet the medical bills.

I think VT and CA were considering setting up state single-payer healthcare systems under Obamacare. Really I hope somewhere tries this and it takes off, because the current system really is totally bonkers.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, Rete.

Regarding newcomers on BE, I've noticed they often say, "I'm very healthy and so don't need to worry about health insurance."
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good to know, Rete.

Regarding newcomers on BE, I've noticed they often say, "I'm very healthy and so don't need to worry about health insurance."
A few years ago I slipped on a tiled floor as I was leaving a house...landed spread eagled on the concrete path. Broke my nose (again)...split lip...cuts and bruises. Foolishly I decided not to go to the ER but went to the doctors the following day and had x-rays taken. Decided to forget about the whole thing and not to have a 3rd rhinoplasty.

Yes accidents can happen anytime...to anyone.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A few years ago I slipped on a tiled floor as I was leaving a house...landed spread eagled on the concrete path. Broke my nose (again)...split lip...cuts and bruises. Foolishly I decided not to go to the ER but went to the doctors the following day and had x-rays taken. Decided to forget about the whole thing and not to have a 3rd rhinoplasty.

Yes accidents can happen anytime...to anyone.

Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Let me add another data point: I crashed my bike last year and broke an elbow. Drive to urgent care and then to ER, X-rays, simple surgery and four days in hospital (wound + fracture = "open fracture"). $45k before "adjustments" etc...

All my bikes now have brakes the same way around.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It was a Sunday afternoon and we'd been viewing an open house.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I think VT and CA were considering setting up state single-payer healthcare systems under Obamacare. Really I hope somewhere tries this and it takes off, because the current system really is totally bonkers.
+1
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:01 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
As most know, I fell off the platform, onto the train tracks, at Grand Central 2-1/2 months ago.

Well the statements from my healthcare provider are trickling in and I have to say I am ever so glad to have excellent coverage.

The bill from the ER is over $16,000.00 and the bill for the ambulance was $719.00. Add on to that weekly visits to the orthopedic surgeon, weekly x-rays, surgery three weeks later, prescription meds, slings, car charges to various appointments, etc.

We are talking in the field of $28,000 and we are not finished yet. Still do not have full range of motion in my arm and I still have a good deal of pain and nerve damage to contend with.

Thankfully, my portion of all this are co-pays. $100 per hospital visit, $50 for the ambulance and $25 for each visit and x-ray for the doctor. I've paid out over $450. Thank heavens, I had good healthcare.

So if you are coming to the US to live, please do not discount the need for quality, well paying healthcare. It is essential to a good life in the States.
Glad you are well covered Rete.

My Dad had a bad fall a couple of years ago and broke his hip, had a hip replacement, contracted MRSA, had the hip removed, has had all kinds of tests, care, spent weeks upon weeks in hospital, home visits, physios, ambulance to take him to every appointment... and has finally now just had a hip put back in. Although everything with the NHS has gone anything but smoothly, he would have been absolutely screwed if he had lived in the US. He worked his entire life as a manual worker, and would never have been able to afford coverage. A big reason why I really hate the system in the US, and am for everyone in society being treated the same, poor or wealthy.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Glad you are well covered Rete.

My Dad had a bad fall a couple of years ago and broke his hip, had a hip replacement, contracted MRSA, had the hip removed, has had all kinds of tests, care, spent weeks upon weeks in hospital, home visits, physios, ambulance to take him to every appointment... and has finally now just had a hip put back in. Although everything with the NHS has gone anything but smoothly, he would have been absolutely screwed if he had lived in the US. He worked his entire life as a manual worker, and would never have been able to afford coverage. A big reason why I really hate the system in the US, and am for everyone in society being treated the same, poor or wealthy.
That is not the case in the UK. The poor and average have the NHS and the rich have private health insurance. Same with Canada with the rich coming across the border when the wait is too long.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
That is not the case in the UK. The poor and average have the NHS and the rich have private health insurance. Same with Canada with the rich coming across the border when the wait is too long.
Stupid us don't know how it works over there of course

I wish I had a dollar for every time an American has told me how the British system operates.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid us don't know how it works over there of course

I wish I had a dollar for every time an American has told me how the British system operates.
Same here for Brits for telling how the American system works.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
Same here for Brits for telling how the American system works.
Nobody knows how the American system 'works'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.