Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Wikiposts

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It may well be. However, it's a lot smaller than the 45 to 50% that go in the reverse direction. Given that the EU negotiates trade deals collectively, that difference is what is important, especially as such a deal would have to be voted on by all EU members. The bottom line is that trade to the EU is more critical to the UK than trade to the UK from the EU is to the EU.
And if the UK exits it will all stop will it ?
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
And if the UK exits it will all stop will it ?
Did I say that
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Did I say that
No, but in the argument about 50% and 10%, the implication seems to me that the UK needs the EU more than the EU needs the UK. The UK needs them, they need the UK, just about as much, so Hollande's talk of "consequences" cuts both ways.

As Pulaski says, the UK, taken apart from the rest of the EU, is the largest single recipient of goods exports from the EU - something like 16%, compared to the USA at 15%. I couldn't find stats including services. Right now, according to the ONS, 39% of UK exports are to the EU, a percentage which has fallen from a high of about about 51% in the last few years

If you drill down a little further, you'll find for example, that the Germans have a 51 Billion Euro trade surplus with the UK. The US is only 3 billion Euro in front, the French 15 billion behind.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 11:13 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
No, but in the argument about 50% and 10%, the implication seems to me that the UK needs the EU more than the EU needs the UK. The UK needs them, they need the UK, just about as much, so Hollande's talk of "consequences" cuts both ways.

As Pulaski says, the UK, taken apart from the rest of the EU, is the largest single recipient of goods exports from the EU - something like 16%, compared to the USA at 15%. I couldn't find stats including services. Right now, according to the ONS, 39% of UK exports are to the EU, a percentage which has fallen from a high of about about 51% in the last few years

If you drill down a little further, you'll find for example, that the Germans have a 51 Billion Euro trade surplus with the UK. The US is only 3 billion Euro in front, the French 15 billion behind.
I would think that the main point is that the UK is a better position to influence EU policy if it belongs to it. Otherwise, you'll just end up with a German-French duopoly.

And the markets wouldn't like an exit, because markets prefer stability -- the UK will naturally be perceived as being on the losing end of an exit.

What would be smart for the UK if it remained in the EU while keeping the sterling. The anti-immigrant stuff is just nonsense.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody in the other thread compared FIFA to the EU. Very similar issues.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like some fellow expats are upset about not being able to vote. I doubt if this will get very far, but maybe it would have made a difference in the outcome. Brexit affects expats as much as any other demographic.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128353
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Looks like some fellow expats are upset about not being able to vote. I doubt if this will get very far, but maybe it would have made a difference in the outcome. Brexit affects expats as much as any other demographic.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128353
By the time they reach 10,000 signatures, the referendum will have been and gone.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Is it too late to register to vote?
How do you vote if you are not in the uk?
I only left last year having lived there for 29 years so I should be ok to vote?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Is it too late to register to vote?
How do you vote if you are not in the uk?
I only left last year having lived there for 29 years so I should be ok to vote?
https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Thanks.
Organise a proxy voter. A postal vote would unlikely get here and back in time to count usually.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Organise a proxy voter. A postal vote would unlikely get here and back in time to count usually.
That reminds me, I got confirmation of my proxy vote registration but I need to make sure my mum has sorted out the postal vote for herself.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
The ballot papers for the EU Referendum should be posted out by first class post during the last week of May. So it depends where you live. Post from the UK takes about a week or less for me.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I see that someone wanted to pay lawyers to fight this battle British expats lose legal battle for right to vote in EU referendum | Politics | The Guardian
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I see that someone wanted to pay lawyers to fight this battle British expats lose legal battle for right to vote in EU referendum | Politics | The Guardian
Good news for lawyers, waste of time and money for everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.