Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Originally Posted by Michael
That was one of the first things implemented shortly after ACA was passed along with the government subsidized high risk pool. The only thing left to implement are the exchanges and Medicaid expansion.
Forgive my ignorance; could you give me a quick overview of what 'Medicaid expansion' is? I would appreciate it!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I would fundamentally support that approach and it SHOULD appeal to the 'Rand Paul' or possibly the 'Paul Ryan' element of the Republican party because it relieves 'private enterprise' from a huge burden they currently bear.

Originally Posted by Michael
Just to elaborate, if it was my plan, I'd go to a single payer system, forbid employers from providing health insurance, everybody gets health insurance equivalent to Medicare coverage (100% hospital coverage and 80% outpatient coverage except the poor which get 100% Medicaid coverage), limits would be placed on end of life treatments unless the person pays extra for that coverage through private insurance, the government would use it's bargaining power to drive costs down, and taxes on corporations and individuals would be increased to pay for the coverage.

If all of that was put in place, health care costs as a percentage of gdp would likely fall below the health care costs as a percentage of gdp of Switzerland within a year.

However maybe only 20% of congress would vote for such a proposal. Actually part of my plan would satisfy conservatives since it reduces the burden on corporations of providing health insurance since they believe that corporations are carrying too large of a burden. If corporations didn't provide health insurance, either pay would rise so increased taxes on individuals wouldn't hurt that much or corporations would pay increased taxes but they would have savings by not providing health coverage.

So what is your plan?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Forgive my ignorance; could you give me a quick overview of what 'Medicaid expansion' is? I would appreciate it!
The federal government mandates minimum eligibility requirements for Medicaid that states must cover. These are pretty low:- 40% (?) of the federal poverty level and only adults with minor children in their household. Most states already cover more people than this, typically in terms of income (often up to 100% of federal poverty levels). Four states cover adults without minor age children in their household. The ACA increases eligibility to 133% of federal poverty levels and covers virtually all adults up to Medicare age. In exchange the federal government initially will cover 90% of additional costs to states. However, the Supreme Court ruled that the expansion couldn't be forced on states, so many states have refused (all or almost all those with Republican governors). Poorer people in those states are likely going to remain without health coverage.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

John Stewart tonight put it very succinctly.

I am rather surprised about the lack of understanding about the principals of insurance.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The federal government mandates minimum eligibility requirements for Medicaid that states must cover. These are pretty low:- 40% (?) of the federal poverty level and only adults with minor children in their household. Most states already cover more people than this, typically in terms of income (often up to 100% of federal poverty levels). Four states cover adults without minor age children in their household. The ACA increases eligibility to 133% of federal poverty levels and covers virtually all adults up to Medicare age. In exchange the federal government initially will cover 90% of additional costs to states. However, the Supreme Court ruled that the expansion couldn't be forced on states, so many states have refused (all or almost all those with Republican governors). Poorer people in those states are likely going to remain without health coverage.
You have one thing incorrect. The federal government will initially pay 100% of the cost for 3 years and then it is reduced to 90%. The states have to pay the cost of administrating the program.

In Mississippi, the state would be eligible for about $460 million in the first year but the governor opted out saying that the state couldn't afford the estimated $8.5 million administrative cost (about $2.80 per resident for 2014). Instead country and private hospitals will likely get stuck with about $400 million of unpaid services costing taxpayers and insurance premiums an additional $133 per resident in 2014.

Ideology + $2.80 per resident = too expensive.
Ideology + $133 per resident = affordable.

Now you can see why the poor states are poor. Their math skills at the executive level are third world.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 8th 2013 at 6:25 am.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
One of many reasons why the Republicans throwing their toys out of the pram over the ACA is so ironic.
This is my current 'glaringly obvious' observation. I've spent 30 years in 'corporate America', receiving 'top of the line' healthcare without paying much for it thanks to group healthcare. But I'm finally at a point where I have the money in the bank to really start thinking about starting my own business, and taking risk (and hopefully paying even more in taxes than I currently do) ... and the biggest single fear I have is, how will I get health insurance now that I'm in my 50s! I'm hopeful ACA will provide that and allow me to do what I want. But realistically, if ACA doesn't 'take hold', I'm going to be forced back into corporate America simply because of the need for health insurance. How ironic.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
John Stewart tonight put it very succinctly.

I am rather surprised about the lack of understanding about the principals of insurance.
I love John Stewart. I watch his show religiously, and I know he's made some less than flattering observations about Obamacare - because he's an honest, balanced guy who calls it like it is. Would you care to provide a link or a quote since probably 90% of people reading this post won't have a clue what you are talking about (including me, since I'm stuck in some random airport hotel due to weather delays)? Hint ... "John Stewart today made the point that .... [fill in the blanks]". And since I think we all know that John Stewart completely supports the overall principal of Obamacare, you could provide a bit of analysis as to how this particular observation of his fits into his more general overall feelings about Obamacare? I mean ... FFS ... are you charged by the number of characters you type on your keyboard? Would it kill you to actually quote what the guy said ...

The principles of insurance are, surely -
1) spread the risk over as wide a population as possible
2) analyze the risk to the n'th degree so you know what you are dealing with
3) set the premium appropriately so you can make money while providing a service.

Item #3 may change if it is Govt. insurance; they may say, 'set the premium appropriately so we can control overall costs while supporting the goals of a successful society' - which may translate to, some Govt. subsidy of the rates IF it is necessary to grease the wheels of commerce.

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 8th 2013 at 7:14 am.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have (had) several options, apart from bellyaching about the choice you made. (Get a job with health insurance, take a high deductible plan, leave the country....).

So? Get a job with health coverage.

Well now my taxes are going to start subsidize your health insurance, so I guess that makes it fair then.

That's just silly, argumentative, or you have a major chip on your shoulder. .... Any of which would explain your usual belligerent and hate-filled posts!
Come on ... you can rise above this. You are using poor arguments to justify what seem to be a petty vendetta ... This guy does NOT have 'belligerent and hate-filled posts ...

ETA ... you both make intelligent posts; what I'm saying is, this kind of bickering is beneath you both ... there are bigger idiots out there to spend your time on ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 8th 2013 at 8:36 am.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

John Stewart has a web site, www.thedailyshow.com.

You can watch it there.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

Hint ... "John Stewart today made the point that .... [fill in the blanks]".
Free the Daves?

Covers your signature and my name!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Come on ... you can rise above this. You are using poor arguments to justify what seem to be a petty vendetta ... This guy does NOT have 'belligerent and hate-filled posts ...

ETA ... you both make intelligent posts; what I'm saying is, this kind of bickering is beneath you both ... there are bigger idiots out there to spend your time on ...
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

The principles of insurance are, surely -
1) spread the risk over as wide a population as possible
2) analyze the risk to the n'th degree so you know what you are dealing with
3) set the premium appropriately so you can make money while providing a service.
1. Is not necessarily needed. Sometimes helps.
2. That is not possible, you need to determine the point at which you have confidence in the risk that is being contributed.
3. No needed either, many risk pools have no need to make money, see Mutuals for example.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

John Stewart has a web site, www.thedailyshow.com.

You can watch it there.
Why don't you give the forum a precis of what you think his most salient points were and explain why you think they were - or weren't - correct?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Why would you want it second hand, but just the headlines and I would strongly recommend watching it than critique.

I guess if John Stewart was in the UK he would read the Guardian, just to give a quick view on his political slant.

Most of the time he has fun at the Repubs expense, but is not blinded by his views enough not to have a go at the Dems when they deserve it.

In no particular order:

He covered the failure of the launch of Obamacare.

Wondered why when the Obama is the most IT savy of any Politician so far (please stop sending me Emails) they scored an own goal when they have had 3 years an untold millions spent on it.

Wondered also why the Repubs have not focussed more heavily on this.

The Dave reference was comparing with if Lincoln had not proof read the Emancipation speech and instead freed the Daves.

Interviewed Kathleen 'Obamacare' Sebelius, he was actually I thought a bit soft on her, I can just imagine how she would have been roasted by any half decent interviewer in the UK, but made enough comments to make the point.

Pointed out what a pigs ear the whole thing was.

His conclusion was good and to the point.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would you want it second hand, but just the headlines and I would strongly recommend watching it than critique.
You made the specific assertion that Jon Stewart "nailed it" on Obamacare. It pays to be able to back up such an assertion with a rationale as to why he did.

I guess if John Stewart was in the UK he would read the Guardian, just to give a quick view on his political slant.

Most of the time he has fun at the Repubs expense, but is not blinded by his views enough not to have a go at the Dems when they deserve it.

In no particular order:

He covered the failure of the launch of Obamacare.

Wondered why when the Obama is the most IT savy of any Politician so far (please stop sending me Emails) they scored an own goal when they have had 3 years an untold millions spent on it.

Wondered also why the Repubs have not focussed more heavily on this.
The points on the rollout of the federal site are clearly on the ball. A real embarrassment to Obama.

The Dave reference was comparing with if Lincoln had not proof read the Emancipation speech and instead freed the Daves.

Interviewed Kathleen 'Obamacare' Sebelius, he was actually I thought a bit soft on her, I can just imagine how she would have been roasted by any half decent interviewer in the UK, but made enough comments to make the point.

Pointed out what a pigs ear the whole thing was.
Why do you think it's a pig's ear?

His conclusion was good and to the point.
What was his conclusion and why do you think it was to the point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.