Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Colorado members - "How Are You Doing?"

Colorado members - "How Are You Doing?"

Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Colorado members - "How Are You Doing?"

Friends,

Check-in if you can and let us know how you are doing.

Hope all is well, with regards to the awful fires, you're having to deal with.

Edit: I'm sorry to see that the Flying W Ranch, in Colorado Springs, has burnt to the ground, along with numerous homes in the area.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jun 28th 2012 at 2:24 am.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado members - "How Are You Doing?"

Luckily the fires are nowhere near where we are, but it is a little hazy at times. I really do feel bad for the people that have lost their homes, and those who don't know what's happened to their homes because they have been evacuated. It does make you think what you would need to pack up and take with you if you had to get out in a hurry.

The firefighters are doing a great job under very difficult circumstances, 90-100 degree heat and roughish terrain. The police seem to be taking care of the evacuated homes that are still standing.

The TV stations are doing a lot of coverage of the fires.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Colorado members - "How Are You Doing?"

I was wondering the same thing.

I know that at least one poster on BE lives in Colorado Springs. I truly hope that he and his family are ok

Someone else who posts here lives in Boulder, CO. I have no idea if this is in the vicinity of the fires but again I hope is safe.

Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Luckily we live on the east side of I-25. Hopefully the fire won't reach our house. There is a greater chance of embers landing on the roof so we've hosed everything down. The air does seem better today, I think the fire is going up north but with the winds here it could change direction very quickly.

I know a lot of people who have been evacuated and don't know if their homes have been burnt. At the moment we're taking care of 2 evacuee golden retrievers, much to the disgust of our dog. It's amazing how everybody here is pulling together. At the moment a lot of people in Colorado Springs seem to be in shock and it's a bit surreal.

I called my mother in Scotland yesterday to let her know that so far we were okay and not to worry. She hadn't heard anything about the fires: and is now really worried. Should have just kept my big mouth shut.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

I live very close to the Springs. The area next to us is on pre-evac notice. Our house is in a heavily wooded area, so we've packed some stuff and are keeping a close eye on things. Today is looking a lot better though. I know several folk who've been evacuated though it looks like their homes escaped. Some of my husband's colleagues haven't been so lucky though.

It's been scary and shocking but it definitely feels like today is more positive. OH and I had been talking before about doing some fire precautions on our numerous trees - we will definitely be doing though now. I'm hoping that our HOA might be keen to push some community-wide fire mitigation too.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 7:45 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Denver is unscathed. Word on the street is this is divine punishment for letting Tebow go.

I used to live very close to Flying W, at 30th and Garden of the Gods.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:43 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm outside of Boulder. Their fire is pretty much out now due their lubby-dubby-a-thon. All one has seen all week and days are smoke plums. On certain days you can make out in the far distance the Waldo plumes, the High Park one is quite obvious.

I have a friend who is on a ground crew up on the High Park fire; suffice to say, she's too busy and tired to give personal updates ... last post from a week ago was "It is FREAKING hot right now. Not just hot, but FREAKING hot!!" Understatement imo. HP fire is now 75% contained and they've since pulled up the full containment date 2 weeks to around July 16th.

CS - Waldo fire - Wow. No end in sight, is there. A couple of friends have been staying in a shelter down there, safe and in good spirits.

I guess the Pine Ridge fire's smoke has closed a stretch of I-70 and prompted evacuations of its area.

Quite the fire season. like OF said, Bronco's shouldn't have cut Tebo.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I drove down to Denver yesterday, rained all the way back. So the weeds have turned green.

Good to see that Denver has its priorities right with watering the grass/road.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Brit-ish1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the springs, on the south west side. Fortunately we have not been affected apart from a few days of heavy smoke.
However thousands have not be so lucky as they had to be evacuated.
The current situation is 347 homes lost (not counting those damaged), 2 dead and many displaced.
Some neighbourhoods are being allowed to return but to remain on notice should things change. The fire is 30% contained, but we are still at mercy of the weather which has been very hot and very little humidity.... everything is dry dry dry!.We have afternoon storms predicted which carry very little rain but lots of wind and lightening, The sudden storm we had last Tuesday changed everything here in the springs and did most of the damage.
We pray that does not happen again. The emergency services are doing a great and heroic job, under very difficult circumstances.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

we have storms forecast until Tuesday, but then again how much moisture.

And highs of 88 which would be as high as I have ever known it.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

I'm in SW Colorado, and apart from smoky air and a very small fire 4 miles away, I haven't been affected so far. Still, it is a good reminder to work on defensible space and consider evacuation plans - just in case!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCountry
Still, it is a good reminder to work on defensible space and consider evacuation plans - just in case!
Too true - we've been doing exactly that today, as have many people. We are still packed and ready to go, as are our neighbours. Where we live is heavily forested so this has been a real wake-up call.

It's incredibly moving though just how much the community has pulled together. I've never felt more part of a community than I do just now.

There is an incredible video of the fire - it's a 5 day timelapse which really captures the awesome power of this thing.

http://youtu.be/ZBA7eHY022k

Hoping the link works, but if not, search for Waldo Canyon Fire - 5 day timelapse by Steve Moraco.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
Too true - we've been doing exactly that today, as have many people. We are still packed and ready to go, as are our neighbours. Where we live is heavily forested so this has been a real wake-up call.

It's incredibly moving though just how much the community has pulled together. I've never felt more part of a community than I do just now.

There is an incredible video of the fire - it's a 5 day timelapse which really captures the awesome power of this thing.

http://youtu.be/ZBA7eHY022k

Hoping the link works, but if not, search for Waldo Canyon Fire - 5 day timelapse by Steve Moraco.
Terrifying video, thanks for posting. Really shows the power an d speed of the fire.