Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Children becoming USC through naturalization

Children becoming USC through naturalization

Old May 1st 2008, 3:00 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Children becoming USC through naturalization

This is just a thought that occurred to me the other day.

When my N-400 goes through and I wave the little flag and become a USC, does my 14yo daughter becomes a USC automatically??

And what if she doesn't want to be? Can a minor become a USC against their will?
Old May 1st 2008, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children becoming USC through naturalization

Originally Posted by g1ant
This is just a thought that occurred to me the other day.

When my N-400 goes through and I wave the little flag and become a USC, does my 14yo daughter becomes a USC automatically??

And what if she doesn't want to be? Can a minor become a USC against their will?

Yes, she becomes a USC automatically and can apply for a US Passport at the same time that you do.

If she chooses not to be a US Citizen, then when she reaches adulthood, she can denounce her US citizenship in the prescribed manner.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:41 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, she becomes a USC automatically and can apply for a US Passport at the same time that you do.

If she chooses not to be a US Citizen, then when she reaches adulthood, she can denounce her US citizenship in the prescribed manner.
So do I have to turn her green card in at the same time as mine?

alex
Old May 1st 2008, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

she can denounce her US citizenship in the prescribed manner.
Hi:

Pedantic Stuart strikes again. I'm sure it was inadvertent to use "denounce" rather than "renounce" -- but I like it all the same!
Old May 1st 2008, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Pedantic Stuart strikes again. I'm sure it was inadvertent to use "denounce" rather than "renounce" -- but I like it all the same!

I like "re"nounce better Although when it is renounced it is also because the person is denouncing the US.

As for the green card, no hers does not get turned in simply because she will not be dealing with the USCIS but the US Passport Agency. She would be issued a passport based on her relationship to you and the fact that she is a PR. So she would need her birth certificate listing you as her father, your naturalization certificate (original not a copy), her green card and the passport application.
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:31 pm
Country Member

I like "re"nounce better Although when it is renounced it is also because the person is denouncing the US.

As for the green card, no hers does not get turned in simply because she will not be dealing with the USCIS but the US Passport Agency. She would be issued a passport based on her relationship to you and the fact that she is a PR. So she would need her birth certificate listing you as her father, your naturalization certificate (original not a copy), her green card and the passport application.
So is it compulsory for me to get her a US passport or can she continue to use the green card for travel?

alex
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

She will become a USC and USC's have to use a passport when entering the US (with few exceptions which are being fased out, i.e. entering from Canada).

Last edited by HunterGreen; May 2nd 2008 at 2:34 pm.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
She will become a USC .
This isn't necessarily that automatic. The under 18 child has to live with the parent naturalizing.
When my son's father naturalized, I tried to get son naturalized too. Even then applied to USCIS.
But son's naturalization was denied. Reason - the child has to live with father; that is the father has to be the custodial parent if the parents are divorced.

Last edited by farmerwife; May 2nd 2008 at 3:30 pm. Reason: clarity
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by farmerwife
This isn't necessarily that automatic. The under 18 child has to live with the parent naturalizing.
When my son's father naturalized, I tried to get son naturalized too. Even then applied to USCIS.
But son's naturalization was denied. Reason - the child has to live with father; that is the father has to be the custodial parent if the parents are divorced.

The child has to live with the custodial parent, be it the mother or the father. The custodial parent has to be the one becoming a US and the child has to have permanent residency in the US. If both these criteria are met, then the child is a US citizen and requires a US passport to travel.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:40 pm
Concierge

So what you are saying is that your son lived with you, you were not naturalizing and you have sole custody of the child.

It does not matter if the custodial parent is the mother or the father. It only matters that the custodial parent is the one naturalizing.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:48 pm
Country Member

The child has to live with the custodial parent, be it the mother or the father. The custodial parent has to be the one becoming a US and the child has to have permanent residency in the US. If both these criteria are met, then the child is a US citizen and requires a US passport to travel.
That is certainly my case. My daughter lives with me and is a LPR.

It does seem that as per my original post, my daughter gets to be a USC whether she likes it or not

I'm pretty sure that she is OK with that, I just thought it was an interesting scenario.

Just out of interest, at what age could she renounce, 18 or 21 ???
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:59 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by g1ant
That is certainly my case. My daughter lives with me and is a LPR.

It does seem that as per my original post, my daughter gets to be a USC whether she likes it or not

I'm pretty sure that she is OK with that, I just thought it was an interesting scenario.

Just out of interest, at what age could she renounce, 18 or 21 ???

I believe it is 21.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

So what you are saying is that your son lived with you, you were not naturalizing and you have sole custody of the child.

It does not matter if the custodial parent is the mother or the father. It only matters that the custodial parent is the one naturalizing.
Yes Rete of course you are right. I typed that out in a hurry from my personal situation at that time
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

In this case the child does and I was replying to this specific poster.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is 21.
No minimum age limit in theory but in practice they would be unlikely to let someone under 18 renounce:
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_776.html

Why on earth she would want to do something so drastic (and irreversible) is another question entirely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.