British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Children becoming USC through naturalization (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/children-becoming-usc-through-naturalization-533633/)

g1ant May 1st 2008 3:00 am

Children becoming USC through naturalization

This is just a thought that occurred to me the other day.

When my N-400 goes through and I wave the little flag and become a USC, does my 14yo daughter becomes a USC automatically??

And what if she doesn't want to be? Can a minor become a USC against their will?

Rete May 1st 2008 3:35 am

Re: Children becoming USC through naturalization

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 6293315)
This is just a thought that occurred to me the other day.

When my N-400 goes through and I wave the little flag and become a USC, does my 14yo daughter becomes a USC automatically??

And what if she doesn't want to be? Can a minor become a USC against their will?

Yes, she becomes a USC automatically and can apply for a US Passport at the same time that you do.

If she chooses not to be a US Citizen, then when she reaches adulthood, she can denounce her US citizenship in the prescribed manner.

g1ant May 1st 2008 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6293578)
Yes, she becomes a USC automatically and can apply for a US Passport at the same time that you do.

If she chooses not to be a US Citizen, then when she reaches adulthood, she can denounce her US citizenship in the prescribed manner.

So do I have to turn her green card in at the same time as mine?

alex

Folinskyinla May 1st 2008 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6293578)
she can denounce her US citizenship in the prescribed manner.

Hi:

Pedantic Stuart strikes again. I'm sure it was inadvertent to use "denounce" rather than "renounce" -- but I like it all the same! :)

Rete May 1st 2008 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6293754)
Hi:

Pedantic Stuart strikes again. I'm sure it was inadvertent to use "denounce" rather than "renounce" -- but I like it all the same! :)

I like "re"nounce better :thumbsup: Although when it is renounced it is also because the person is denouncing the US.

As for the green card, no hers does not get turned in simply because she will not be dealing with the USCIS but the US Passport Agency. She would be issued a passport based on her relationship to you and the fact that she is a PR. So she would need her birth certificate listing you as her father, your naturalization certificate (original not a copy), her green card and the passport application.

g1ant May 2nd 2008 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6293822)
I like "re"nounce better :thumbsup: Although when it is renounced it is also because the person is denouncing the US.

As for the green card, no hers does not get turned in simply because she will not be dealing with the USCIS but the US Passport Agency. She would be issued a passport based on her relationship to you and the fact that she is a PR. So she would need her birth certificate listing you as her father, your naturalization certificate (original not a copy), her green card and the passport application.

So is it compulsory for me to get her a US passport or can she continue to use the green card for travel?

alex

HunterGreen May 2nd 2008 2:31 am

She will become a USC and USC's have to use a passport when entering the US (with few exceptions which are being fased out, i.e. entering from Canada).

farmerwife May 2nd 2008 3:28 am

Originally Posted by HunterGreen (Post 6298438)
She will become a USC .

This isn't necessarily that automatic. The under 18 child has to live with the parent naturalizing.
When my son's father naturalized, I tried to get son naturalized too. Even then applied to USCIS.
But son's naturalization was denied. Reason - the child has to live with father; that is the father has to be the custodial parent if the parents are divorced.

Rete May 2nd 2008 3:39 am

Originally Posted by farmerwife (Post 6298719)
This isn't necessarily that automatic. The under 18 child has to live with the parent naturalizing.
When my son's father naturalized, I tried to get son naturalized too. Even then applied to USCIS.
But son's naturalization was denied. Reason - the child has to live with father; that is the father has to be the custodial parent if the parents are divorced.

The child has to live with the custodial parent, be it the mother or the father. The custodial parent has to be the one becoming a US and the child has to have permanent residency in the US. If both these criteria are met, then the child is a US citizen and requires a US passport to travel.

Rete May 2nd 2008 3:40 am

So what you are saying is that your son lived with you, you were not naturalizing and you have sole custody of the child.

It does not matter if the custodial parent is the mother or the father. It only matters that the custodial parent is the one naturalizing.

g1ant May 2nd 2008 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6298763)
The child has to live with the custodial parent, be it the mother or the father. The custodial parent has to be the one becoming a US and the child has to have permanent residency in the US. If both these criteria are met, then the child is a US citizen and requires a US passport to travel.

That is certainly my case. My daughter lives with me and is a LPR.

It does seem that as per my original post, my daughter gets to be a USC whether she likes it or not :huh:

I'm pretty sure that she is OK with that, I just thought it was an interesting scenario.

Just out of interest, at what age could she renounce, 18 or 21 ???

Rete May 2nd 2008 3:59 am

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 6298800)
That is certainly my case. My daughter lives with me and is a LPR.

It does seem that as per my original post, my daughter gets to be a USC whether she likes it or not :huh:

I'm pretty sure that she is OK with that, I just thought it was an interesting scenario.

Just out of interest, at what age could she renounce, 18 or 21 ???

I believe it is 21.

farmerwife May 2nd 2008 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6298773)
So what you are saying is that your son lived with you, you were not naturalizing and you have sole custody of the child.

It does not matter if the custodial parent is the mother or the father. It only matters that the custodial parent is the one naturalizing.

Yes Rete of course you are right. I typed that out in a hurry from my personal situation at that time

HunterGreen May 2nd 2008 7:35 am

In this case the child does and I was replying to this specific poster.

JAJ May 2nd 2008 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6298862)
I believe it is 21.

No minimum age limit in theory but in practice they would be unlikely to let someone under 18 renounce:
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_776.html

Why on earth she would want to do something so drastic (and irreversible) is another question entirely.