Chicken Curry

Old Jul 6th 2023, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicken Curry

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well that's a new word I learned today.
One of those great American slang terms! Originally used to indicate a drug craving. https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...e-mean-craving "In the early 1960s, a “jones” was a craving—but strictly a craving for heroin. Clever junkies had been using “Mr. Jones” as a code name for the drug since it became popular with Beatniks in the late 1950s."
Old Jul 6th 2023, 6:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a new word I learned today.
As you can see, I'm stanning for Maunika!
Old Jul 6th 2023, 6:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As you can see, I'm stanning for Maunika!
Make that two new words
Old Jul 6th 2023, 7:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 7th 2023, 4:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs L discovered a chicken tikka masala in Costco the other day. We tried it last night and it was reasonable for a microwaved meal.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

My wife makes a cracking curry from scratch, a recent development in her culinary skills (which are negligible to say the least). In recent months, with less time on her hands, she has switched to using the English jars you can find in Publix and adding a few extra's to those to bring them up to spec - like Chillies, more spices, mixed Peppers and Onions etc. They are pretty good and require only 10 mins or so extra prep than just warming the jar contents and adding the meat, the Jalfrezi being my personal fav.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 6:48 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by robtuck
...she has switched to using the English jars you can find in Publix and adding a few extra's to those to bring them up to spec - like Chillies, more spices, mixed Peppers and Onions etc. They are pretty good and require only 10 mins or so extra prep than just warming the jar contents and adding the meat, the Jalfrezi being my personal fav.
Yep, all that works.
I'm particularly fond of the Red Thai sauces too and have even discovered that Rosé wine pairs very well.

Sometimes there are good sauces that just need a bit of an extra kick and a teaspoon of Vindaloo paste does the job.
Old Jul 9th 2023, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
My wife makes a cracking curry from scratch, a recent development in her culinary skills (which are negligible to say the least). In recent months, with less time on her hands, she has switched to using the English jars you can find in Publix and adding a few extra's to those to bring them up to spec - like Chillies, more spices, mixed Peppers and Onions etc. They are pretty good and require only 10 mins or so extra prep than just warming the jar contents and adding the meat, the Jalfrezi being my personal fav.
I do this too.

I used to buy spices online from curry123.co uk but I think they've gone away. With a spice blend it is relatively easy to make a good curry with whatever protein (or vegetable) you want. A quick Google shows equivalents from "the spice tailor" on Amazon... but I've not tried it.

Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

My wife made one this weekend, it was spanking gorgeous, almost as good as a fully home made one in fact. 30 mins from the time of dicing the chicken and beef to the first morsel going into the mouth.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

johndel1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If any of you live near Long Island or nyc there is a uk style Chinese here.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 5:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johndel1
What does that mean? The only differences I notice with Chinese take-aways in the US is that they call chow-mein "lo-main", and the dishes are loaded with broccoli.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 6:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What does that mean? The only differences I notice with Chinese take-aways in the US is that they call chow-mein "lo-main", and the dishes are loaded with broccoli.
I touched on the potential differences in an earlier post.
I guess it depends on whether you mean "Indian" Curry or "Chinese" Curry. I don't know if this is a North America thing or Canada thing but the Chinese ones here are not great. Szechuan (spelling varies) are closer to the UK Chinese style.
Although I was referencing curry be it Indian or Chinese and then differentiating between Canadian Chinese curry and British Chinese curry I do think there's a general difference between the Chinese take-aways of the two continents.

Your broccoli comment probably illustrates it nicely.

Beef and Broccoli from a British Chinese and Broccoli and Beef from a US Chinese.

We're not alone in seeing a difference.
Why has British Chinese food shocked the US?

It's weird though, because a lot of the listed differences on search results seem to focus on chips on the British menus. But that's more to do with the British culture of the chip shop being catered for; the Chinese take-away probably sells more "something" and chips at lunchtimes and after the pubs close than they do Chinese food, while earlier in the evening they may sell more Chinese food than chips.

But if I have Beef curry or Beef and broccoli (or green peppers) in the UK the Canadian version is different. Perhaps best described as being in a sauce in the UK and a 'coating' in Canada.
Johndel1 suggests some may see it as a North American difference.

Spring rolls also seem to be very different too. Bite one in the UK and the bean sprouts dangling out the end look like something out of a horror movie.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 7:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I touched on the potential differences in an earlier post.

Although I was referencing curry be it Indian or Chinese and then differentiating between Canadian Chinese curry and British Chinese curry I do think there's a general difference between the Chinese take-aways of the two continents.

Your broccoli comment probably illustrates it nicely.

Beef and Broccoli from a British Chinese and Broccoli and Beef from a US Chinese. ....
It's weird though, because a lot of the listed differences on search results seem to focus on chips on the British menus. But that's more to do with the British culture of the chip shop being catered for; the Chinese take-away probably sells more "something" and chips at lunchtimes and after the pubs close than they do Chinese food, while earlier in the evening they may sell more Chinese food than chips.

But if I have Beef curry ....
I have (almost *) never ordered, or paid any attention to whatsoever, the non-Chinese menu items on a Chinese takeaway menu. So I have never ordered anything with chips/ fries.

* I think I bought a curry from the Chinese at the end of the road in Wimbledon, maybe twice in the three years I lived there. It wasn't that good, but was OK for a change. I also bought a curry once from a local Chinese takeaway here in NC; it was also OK, but not remarkable enough for me to repeat the experience.
Spring rolls also seem to be very different too. Bite one in the UK and the bean sprouts dangling out the end look like something out of a horror movie.

I have never had a spring roll half as good, or even half the size of my first experience with spring rolls, from a chip shop near the halls or residence in Liverpool. They were a great, cheap way to deal with evening hunger pangs after the inadequate dining hall evening meal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2023 at 7:41 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 9:41 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have never had a spring roll half as good, or even half the size of my first experience with spring rolls, from a chip shop near the halls or residence in Liverpool. They were a great, cheap way to deal with evening hunger pangs after the inadequate dining hall evening meal.
Absolutely. I think it was the most common thing I heard people ordering. I always thought it was some people's way of compromising; having a bit of British and a bit of Chinese.