Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

8mm film to digital format

8mm film to digital format

Old Sep 28th 2023, 2:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 8mm film to digital format

I have my parents’ wedding film from 1947, and I want to get a copy of it in digital format. I see there are contractors who you can mail the film to, and they’ll make a dvd + online copy of it, and return the original film, all for a moderate cost. It is regular 8mm film on a reel. My sister got a vhs copy made about 30 years ago, but it is poor quality. Has anyone done this, and can recommend one company over another? (In the US.)

I know there are no absolute guarantees, but I just don’t want the original film to be lost or destroyed..
Old Sep 28th 2023, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8mm film to digital format

Just a thought, but is it possible that the VHS copy reflects the quality of the original?
Old Sep 28th 2023, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if she can help, but you could try contacting Siouxie.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/members/siouxie-118202/
Old Sep 29th 2023, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this youtube: Might be worth considering a pro to do it:

"Brad Miller of Film-Tech Cinema Systems scanned this Super 8 film to 1080p HD and 2160p Ultra HD using a Lasergraphics Scanstation Pro 6.5K and applied color correction to it, and even without more advanced processing to clean up the image, I'm amazed at the quality of the results.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 6:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
I thought that was what Robin was considering.
... using a Lasergraphics Scanstation Pro 6.5K and applied color correction to it, and even without more advanced processing to clean up the image
For exactly that sort of reason, given the age of the original.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Robin
Minor thread deviation but my question doesn’t warrant new post. I occasionally come in internet contact with people still wrestling with Obama’s birth certificate. I have told them to look up his Honolulu birth announcement in Honolulu Advertiser Aug 13 1961 and they can find this in any major library. How are newspapers archived and where or how easy could you find this newspaper archived?
Old Sep 30th 2023, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't film from 1947 likely to be that highly flammable type of film?

Found it, nitrate film...

https://everpresent.com/cellulose-nitrate-film/
Old Oct 1st 2023, 12:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
Isn't film from 1947 likely to be that highly flammable type of film?

Found it, nitrate film...

https://everpresent.com/cellulose-nitrate-film/
Thanks for this. It is 8mm film shot in 1947, so presumably manufactured in 1946 or 1947. I skimmed that article, and it looks like it could go either way- the article gives some distinguishing features that allow you to identify the type of film by examining it, so I’ll do that.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 12:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Robin
Minor thread deviation but my question doesn’t warrant new post. I occasionally come in internet contact with people still wrestling with Obama’s birth certificate. I have told them to look up his Honolulu birth announcement in Honolulu Advertiser Aug 13 1961 and they can find this in any major library. How are newspapers archived and where or how easy could you find this newspaper archived?
I honestly don’t know about that particular newspaper. In the modern world, yeah, access to newspaper archives is available via commercial newspaper aggregators that are available at your library or any library that you have access to. (For example, I live in remote rural New York. I have access to anything at my local college library, my local public library, the New York Public Library, the Brooklyn Public Library, and Norfolk Libraries in England, since I have a home & library card in Norfolk.)

Basically, over the last twenty or thirty years, companies & non-profits have gone into newspaper archives, paper or microfilm, and digitized all the newspapers that are available. These aggregated archives are then rented out to, or made available free of charge, to libraries. Lexis-Nexis and Ebsco are two of the big commercial providers. You simply have to search around, or ask a librarian, which database includes the Honolulu Advertiser.

It is not just libraries - Ancestry.com and ancestry.co.uk and findmypast.co.uk (Etc) have local newspaper databases within their products..

https://www.newspapers.com/article/t...as-b/15455398/

Last edited by robin1234; Oct 1st 2023 at 1:21 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by neill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwP9z5YvZ5Q

"Brad Miller of Film-Tech Cinema Systems scanned this Super 8 film to 1080p HD and 2160p Ultra HD using a Lasergraphics Scanstation Pro 6.5K and applied color correction to it, and even without more advanced processing to clean up the image, I'm amazed at the quality of the results.
Yeah, I definitely want a pro. It is black & white film.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah, I definitely want a pro. It is black & white film.
We had a guy in Houston do ours when we were living there. He did a good job but ours were only from the early 1970's through the 80's. He did tell us that some were damaged too badly though probably because of storage after storm damage. I will see if I still have his information.

It was strange seeing myself as a very shy youngster in my late teens and then a crazy young mum running around with my babies in my 20's! Whatever happened to time??