Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Social Security Disability

Social Security Disability

Old Oct 22nd 2023, 5:06 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security Disability

I am about to embark on being unwell and facing redundancy and loss of health insurance.

I just want to gather any info members have as to what to expect.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Disability

Originally Posted by RICH
I am about to embark on being unwell and facing redundancy and loss of health insurance.

I just want to gather any info members have as to what to expect.
Start with the Social Security Disability website. Unless you are close to the age you would receive your full social security retirement it’s pretty tough to get approved. Unlike many private disability policies, SSD is not “same occupation” insurance: if they deem you can do any type of employment that will pay you at least the federal poverty level, you likely won’t qualify. The other caveat is that it can take a long time - and multiple appeals - to get approved. I know some people hire a disability lawyer to handle their application, with the lawyer taking a percentage of each payment if they are successful in getting you approved for disability.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 4:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
.... SSD is not “same occupation” insurance: if they deem you can do any type of employment that will pay you at least the federal poverty level, you likely won’t qualify. The other caveat is that it can take a long time - and multiple appeals - to get approved. .....
I spoke to a lawyer on this point a few years ago, and learned that applications for SSD are almost automatically rejected the first time an application is made, and that the average number of applications/ appeals is around 4-5 before an application is approved.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 5:02 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both, I don't expect it to be easy ! But ither was immigration!
Old Oct 24th 2023, 5:25 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Start with the Social Security Disability website. Unless you are close to the age you would receive your full social security retirement it’s pretty tough to get approved. Unlike many private disability policies, SSD is not “same occupation” insurance: if they deem you can do any type of employment that will pay you at least the federal poverty level, you likely won’t qualify. The other caveat is that it can take a long time - and multiple appeals - to get approved. I know some people hire a disability lawyer to handle their application, with the lawyer taking a percentage of each payment if they are successful in getting you approved for disability.
OP: hope you are OK.

this massive fraud probably did not help…

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/29/...pen-again.html
Old Oct 27th 2023, 1:56 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I spoke to a lawyer on this point a few years ago, and learned that applications for SSD are almost automatically rejected the first time an application is made, and that the average number of applications/ appeals is around 4-5 before an application is approved.
First question is why were talking to a lawyer about this! Second question is who is the lawyer?
Old Oct 27th 2023, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help you on this matter Rich but just wanted to wish you well. It's stressful enough dealing with I'll health, never mind having to deal with the redundancy and loss of health insurance.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
I can't help you on this matter Rich but just wanted to wish you well. It's stressful enough dealing with I'll health, never mind having to deal with the redundancy and loss of health insurance.
Depending on income post-disability, ACA and - depending on state - Medicaid may be options here.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
First question is why were talking to a lawyer about this! Second question is who is the lawyer?
The would-be claimant was an acquaintance who I thought had been fobbed off both by both the SSA and the lawyer. Obviously the lawyer wasn't able to talk specifics, but shared some general information, some of which I posted above. I also learned my acquaintance hadn't been fobbed off. She and her husband were SOL, her husband had been the victim of a fraud by his employer, and the SSA would not accept any claims when SS contributions had been stolen, not paid into the SS fund. It was a truly tragic case.

I don't recall the lawyer's name now, it was 8-10 years ago when I spoke to her. She was just one of the local lawyer's who included SS disability claims as one of her areas of expertise.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 27th 2023 at 4:39 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 7:37 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The would-be claimant was an acquaintance who I thought had been fobbed off both by both the SSA and the lawyer. Obviously the lawyer wasn't able to talk specifics, but shared some general information, some of which I posted above. I also learned my acquaintance hadn't been fobbed off. She and her husband were SOL, her husband had been the victim of a fraud by his employer, and the SSA would not accept any claims when SS contributions had been stolen, not paid into the SS fund. It was a truly tragic case.

I don't recall the lawyer's name now, it was 8-10 years ago when I spoke to her. She was just one of the local lawyer's who included SS disability claims as one of her areas of expertise.
Thanks Mr P, Very helpful reply.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 8:08 pm
BE Irregular

I feel like I might become a SME (Subject Matter Expert) so I appreciate any googling or other experience the group can bring!
Old Nov 2nd 2023, 3:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I start watching this the other day. I think it was on Apple TV but looks like you can find it on other platforms. It's crazy/entertaining but also fairly educational if you don't know anything about filing for disability.

The Big Conn

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18265020/