Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband's grandparents were from Ireland but he never refers to himself as Irish/English. I suppose now he is a USC he should say he's Irish...like many of the people here with Irish ancestry do.
I think that's the bit I don't get - calling yourself 'Italian' for instance, as one of my neighbours does, although he was born here and has never visited Italy.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think that's the bit I don't get - calling yourself 'Italian' for instance, as one of my neighbours does, although he was born here and has never visited Italy.
I could say I'm Scottish...but you'd all make fun of me.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:52 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's grandparents were from Ireland but he never refers to himself as Irish/English. I suppose now he is a USC he should say he's Irish...like many of the people here with Irish ancestry do.
One of the times when I feel I have a genuine right to complain, is when a "I drank a pint of Guiness" Irishman has a go at me, as a Brit, for the colinization of Ireland, when my links to Ireland are more than theres (or am I starting to fall in to the trap here)
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I could say I'm Scottish...but you'd all make fun of me.
Maybe we should have a 'heritage day' on here - you sweaty.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:53 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Does he spend a lot of time rolling around on the ground when a referee is nearby? If so, he probably is Italian
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Does he spend a lot of time rolling around on the ground when a referee is nearby? If so, he probably is Italian

It wouldn't be so bad if he had the smouldering good looks.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:55 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really get it either but I know the Italians have a different way of working out and granting citizenship to the USA. It's all about the blood line.

Many Americans have been able to get Italian citizenship through a grandparent.

A child born here to two foreign parents does not automatically get citizenship though.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
One of the times when I feel I have a genuine right to complain, is when a "I drank a pint of Guiness" Irishman has a go at me, as a Brit, for the colinization of Ireland, when my links to Ireland are more than theres (or am I starting to fall in to the trap here)
Once when I was standing in a check out queue the woman in front of me heard my accent...she turned round and started ranting about how she supported the IRA...and that the big bad Brits should get out of Ireland and leave them alone. I asked her if she'd ever been to Ireland....she said no.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Once when I was standing in a check out queue the woman in front of me heard my accent...she turned round and started ranting about how she supported the IRA...and that the big bad Brits should get out of Ireland and leave them alone. I asked her if she'd ever been to Ireland....she said no.
I've had more than a few people say that to me too, to the point where I have taken to pretending I'm Scottish to avoid that line of inquiry alotogether
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I don't really get it either but I know the Italians have a different way of working out and granting citizenship to the USA. It's all about the blood line.

Many Americans have been able to get Italian citizenship through a grandparent.

A child born here to two foreign parents does not automatically get citizenship though.
Really? That's interesting.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've had more than a few people say that to me too, to the point where I have taken to pretending I'm Scottish to avoid that line of inquiry alotogether
People in this area think Ireland is just one happy land full of leprechauns so I'm OK.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

People in this area think Ireland is just one happy land full of leprechauns so I'm OK.

I actually had one guy at a gig who claimed to have dealt with the IRA and said 'they're basically just good people'. I nearly glassed him

This was the same bloke though who came up to me after I got done singing 'Learning to Fly' and asked me if I knew any Pink Floyd
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Really? That's interesting.
and slightly unfair in some circumstances.

If I my kids had been born here to any person other than an Italian, my kids would not be Italian citizens.

My neighbours are from Tunisia. They have 4 kids. 3 of them were born here but are not citizens.
Their father applied for and obtained citizenship after many years of proven residency here, but his kids have to apply for their own when they turn 18.

It's makes an 18 year old lad born and raised and schooled here feel slightly put out if an American comes waltzing in proclaiming to be Italian.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's the same now in the UK isn't it? Just because you happen to be born in some countries doesn't give you the right to citizenship...which is correct IMO.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I actually had one guy at a gig who claimed to have dealt with the IRA and said 'they're basically just good people'. I nearly glassed him

This was the same bloke though who came up to me after I got done singing 'Learning to Fly' and asked me if I knew any Pink Floyd
He probably meant he had seen that film with Richard Gere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.