British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Charlie Hebdo shooting in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/charlie-hebdo-shooting-france-850230/)

Hotscot Jan 8th 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11526355)
You appeared to be specifically assigning these problems to Muslims.

As RoadWarrior said, the vast majority of Muslims are ordinary people who are just following the traditions of their family. Not all are particularly religious, and may be totally non-practising.

No, I think I was careful not to. Just including Islam in the religions that have inequality as part of their core teachings or practice. I also despise Christianity for the same reason.

If there are adherents who claim to be part of a religion but don't actually practice it..well...are they religious or not? Do they believe in the teachings or not?

In fact two brothers in law are Baptist Ministers via my wife. We are friends, but I despise their beliefs. Even between the two of them they argue about their different flavours...

Sally Redux Jan 8th 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11526365)
No, I think I was careful not to. Just including Islam in the religions that have inequality as part of their core teachings or practice. I also despise Christianity for the same reason.

If there are adherents who claim to be part of a religion but don't actually practice it..well...are they religious or not? Do they believe in the teachings or not?

In fact two brothers in law are Baptist Ministers via my wife. We are friends, but I despise their beliefs. Even between the two of them the argue about their different flavours...

You were rather cryptic.

It's not about adherents 'claiming' to be anything. It's about people who 'look Muslim' getting it in the neck due to generalisations.

RoadWarriorFromLP Jan 8th 2015 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11526365)

In fact two brothers in law are Baptist Ministers via my wife. We are friends, but I despise their beliefs. Even between the two of them they argue about their different flavours...

Religion is not as dogmatic as you're making it out to be. You can pretty much do whatever you like with it. If you want to use it to justify being a generous soul, you can. If you want to use it to rationalize mass murder, you can.

Look at the history of slavery and racism in America. The Bible that was used to justify slavery and second-class citizenship was the very same book that was used to drive the abolitionists and civil rights movement. Same book, different readers.

Hotscot Jan 8th 2015 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11526383)
Religion is not as dogmatic as you're making it out to be. You can pretty much do whatever you like with it.

Totally agree...hence the problem with religion.

It would be interesting if it all was dogmatic. I would imagine there would be less practitioners if cherry picking wasn't allowed.

Of course the inconsistencies would cause the collapse of said religion and loss of control by the controllers. Usually men.

Pulaski Jan 8th 2015 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11526383)
Religion is not as dogmatic as you're making it out to be. You can pretty much do whatever you like with it. If you want to use it to justify being a generous soul, you can. If you want to use it to rationalize mass murder, you can.

Look at the history of slavery and racism in America. The Bible that was used to justify slavery and second-class citizenship was the very same book that was used to drive the abolitionists and civil rights movement. Same book, different readers.

Please stop posting sensible stuff I agree with, you're confusing me. :unsure:

To your point, the sunnis and shias are ostensibly adherents of the same religion yet have carried on a bloody disagreement almost literally since Mohammed took his last breath. :rolleyes:

RoadWarriorFromLP Jan 8th 2015 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11526387)
...hence the problem with religion.

It's not a religion problem. It's a human problem.

There will always be bad people. The challenge is to make it harder for them to turn their intentions into action.

Sally Redux Jan 8th 2015 5:28 pm

Totally agree...hence the problem with religion.

Again, what is your solution?

I would rather people got along.

SultanOfSwing Jan 8th 2015 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11526378)
It's about people who 'look Muslim' getting it in the neck due to generalisations.

That's just ignorance. Sadly that's a whole different battle altogether.

If I may preach to the choir (if you'll excuse the expression), one can't 'look muslim'. One can look Arabic, but the one does not necessarily equal the other. I certainly hope people don't see me and think I look christian :eek:

It's not OK to condemn individual muslims just because of what happened, but I think it is OK to criticize Islam as an ideology in the same way I question and criticize christianity on an almost daily basis ...

Pulaski Jan 8th 2015 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11526391)
It's not a religion problem. It's a human problem.

There will always be bad people. The challenge is to make it harder for them to turn their intentions into action.

There you go again. ..... I'm beginning to like you. :o

Hotscot Jan 8th 2015 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11526393)

I don't profess to have any...
What about you?

(Although prioritising resources and support to any country that actively promotes equality and education for all would perhaps be productive. However the socioeconomic variables are of such complexity that there isn't any single straightforward solution.)

Pulaski Jan 8th 2015 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11526395)
...... I certainly hope people don't see me and think I look christian. .....

I don't know, your tonsure looks quite monastic. :lol:

hoffage123 Jan 8th 2015 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11526393)

Me too ...:blink:

RoadWarriorFromLP Jan 8th 2015 5:34 pm

It would be interesting if it all was dogmatic. I would imagine there would be less practitioners if cherry picking wasn't allowed.

Pretty much. We have a word to describe faiths that are dominated by the ultra-devout: cults.

Hotscot Jan 8th 2015 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11526395)
OK to criticize Islam as an ideology in the same way I question and criticize christianity on an almost daily basis ...

Good man...keep it up..

SultanOfSwing Jan 8th 2015 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11526405)
I don't know, your tonsure looks quite monastic. :lol:

I assure you, it is 100% genetic :D