British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Charlie Hebdo shooting in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/charlie-hebdo-shooting-france-850230/)

Pulaski Jan 8th 2015 5:37 am

Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by hoffage123 (Post 11526406)
Me too.

I think that's something we share with about 99.9% of the world's population. The question is what to do about the few who don't want to just get along. Making gestures and speeches is all fine and dandy, but they have no effect because the terrorists don't give a stuff. :(

Hotscot Jan 8th 2015 5:39 am

What do you do with cancer...try to change it?

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 8th 2015 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11526420)

A lot of it is self inflicted.

Realistically I suppose you could stopl it getting worse.

I doubt very much anything of consequence will change. Times change, normalities change and this is symptomatic of a new norm.

RoadWarriorFromLP Jan 8th 2015 5:57 am

It starts with a proper diagnosis. Cutting out the wrong bits won't help.

fozzyb Jan 8th 2015 6:05 am

What do you do with cancer.

Attempt to surgically remove it, blast it with chemotherapy or nuke it.

Which basically sums up the West's military response so far, with very little success.

Depressingly - I don't think there is any better answer.

Pulaski Jan 8th 2015 6:09 am

Originally Posted by fozzyb (Post 11526444)
Attempt to surgically remove it, blast it with chemotherapy or nuke it. ......

If you want to continue the cancer analogy, it has metastasized and cancerous cells are now floating around in the blood stream. :(

Sally Redux Jan 8th 2015 8:44 am

Originally Posted by hoffage123 (Post 11526406)
Me too ...:blink:

That is the only solution.

Sally Redux Jan 8th 2015 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11526404)
I don't profess to have any...
What about you?

(Although prioritising resources and support to any country that actively promotes equality and education for all would perhaps be productive. However the socioeconomic variables are of such complexity that there isn't any single straightforward solution.)

Off the top of my head, stop shoring up Israel, stop supporting Saudi Arabia, stop invading and bombing other countries and then realising it's a mistake but doing the same thing again.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11526395)
That's just ignorance. Sadly that's a whole different battle altogether.

If I may preach to the choir (if you'll excuse the expression), one can't 'look muslim'. One can look Arabic, but the one does not necessarily equal the other. I certainly hope people don't see me and think I look christian :eek:

It's not OK to condemn individual muslims just because of what happened, but I think it is OK to criticize Islam as an ideology in the same way I question and criticize christianity on an almost daily basis ...

"Most Muslims aren't actually Arab. In fact, fewer than 15% of the world's Muslims are Arab."

50 Actual Facts That Challenge What You've Been Told About Muslims - Mic

Bit of a dozy site but sort of user-friendly.

Michael Jan 8th 2015 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11526624)
Off the top of my head, stop shoring up Israel, stop supporting Saudi Arabia, stop invading and bombing other countries and then realising it's a mistake but doing the same thing again.

That's has also worked real well. Iran became an Islamic state and wants to build nuclear bombs and then the Arabs will also build nuclear bombs, Libya is basically an Al-Qaeda state, Egypt started turning into an Islamic state and a military coop occurred, and Syria is overrun with ISIS and is in Iraq.

Some times it is better to live with evil than even worst evil.

And the US could have left the Balkans on fire for decades and then there would have been 10 or 12 countries involved in that war with EU countries fighting each other.

Isn't that somewhat the philosophy that Chamberlin took and didn't that work out well?

If the US pulls back, everyone will "just get along".

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 8th 2015 9:14 am

Religion of peace in our time?

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 8th 2015 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11526624)

"Most Muslims aren't actually Arab. In fact, fewer than 15% of the world's Muslims are Arab."

50 Actual Facts That Challenge What You've Been Told About Muslims - Mic

Bit of a dozy site but sort of user-friendly.

Not sure what the percentage of Arabs has to do with it. The interesting info on that link is a 35% increase in 15 years.
All about numbers. God favours the big battalions

Pulaski Jan 8th 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11526654)
That's has also worked real well. Iran became an Islamic state and wants to build nuclear bombs and then the Arabs will also build nuclear bombs, Libya is basically an Al-Qaeda state, Egypt started turning into an Islamic state and a military coop occurred, and Syria is overrun with ISIS and is in Iraq.

Some times it is better to live with evil than even worst evil.

And the US could have left the Balkans on fire for decades and then there would have been 10 or 12 countries involved in that war with EU countries fighting each other.

Isn't that somewhat the philosophy that Chamberlin took and didn't that work out well?

If the US pulls back, everyone will "just get along".

The Balkans and Iraq are a couple of interesting case studies, both involved Anglo-American led intervention with objectives that included the prevention of further genocide, one had a favorable outcome, the other did not.

The difference may have been the shear size of the problem in Iraq, compared to the much smaller area and population in the Balkans. Iraq also became a magnet for radical islamic jihadis, many of whom had been busy overthrowing the government of Afghanistan in the late 1990's. Later the "surge" in Iraq calmed things down enough for a hasty withdrawal.

Notwithstanding the question as to whether invading Iraq was a good idea, it is fairly obvious that withdrawing so rapidly was going to lead to problems. The US left bases in West Germany after WWII, some of which are still there today, though admittedly there was little hostility to US forces after WWII was over. ...... I suspect that the utter destruction of Germany by Anglo-American bombing raids may have been part of the reason, compared to the attempt to remove the insurgents in Iraq one by one.

Pulaski Jan 8th 2015 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11526679)
Not sure what the percentage of Arabs has to do with it. .....

I suspect that the percentage of radical armed jihadis that are Arabs is greater than the percentage of muslims that are Arabs. Many of the Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan in the 1990's fighting to overthrow the Afghan government were known as "Arab Afghans", who were Arab jihadis drawn in to fight alongside local Mujahideen fighters. Many of the Arab Afghans were attracted, and indeed funded, by Osama bin Liner himself.

After the Arabs, it is probably the Indonesians who provide the next largest contingent of itinerant armed jihadi radicals. I am not sure if Pakistani jihadis travel far from their NWFP homeland.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 8th 2015 10:05 am

In sheer numbers I would have assumed Pakistan. But first you need to define your group.

The ones involved here seem Algerians, UK well you get the impression are not mainly Arabs.

Makes sense that there would be a concentration from the major local groups.

Michael Jan 8th 2015 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11526709)
The Balkans and Iraq are a couple of interesting case studies, both involved Anglo-American led intervention with objectives that included the prevention of further genocide, one had a favorable outcome, the other did not.

The difference may have been the shear size of the problem in Iraq, compared to the much smaller area and population in the Balkans. Iraq also became a magnet for radical islamic jihadis, many of whom had been busy overthrowing the government of Afghanistan in the late 1990's. Later the "surge" in Iraq calmed things down enough for a hasty withdrawal.

This table probably indicates the biggest difference.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Pck7nDsOd6...r%2Bsharia.png