Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 8th 2015, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by Nutek
This one is pretty funny actually - I have had a few non-Muslim editors like that in the past, usually before a breaking news bulletin The scimitar is usually bigger though.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And that is exactly my point, they continue ostrich-like with their lives ignoring the cancerous growth within their religion.

Agreed. Tolerance and appeasement got us into this mess, so I am reasonably certain that more of the same isn't the solution.

"Speaking out" a is woefully inadequate response, especially as the perpetrators have no respect for democracy and freedom of speech. The "speaking out" in France is an entirely understandable attempt to avoid a backlash against the benign majority of peaceable muslims living in France but will do nothing to excise the cancer in their religion.

That's my point. You are flattering the terrorists by calling the murder of 12 individuals a "political act", it was a brutal massacre of unarmed civilians. I will never countenance a higher status for the perpetrators of such an act than the murderous scum that they are.
I am confused as to what more you want the normal Muslim person to do - there are already sermons in the Mosques where terrorist behaviour is condemned and those people who do hold extremist views are reported and also shunned from the community. Muslim groups speak out and also behind the scenes work on programs to foster environments of mutual understanding, so that even if someone has unpleasant views, they are challenged. In short, they are doing all they can and more the vast majority of the time. I'm sorry that doesn't make the news or reassure you - maybe next time you drive past a mosque, think of going in and asking what actually goes on in there before you just assume people are being ostriches.

No other religious group has been asked to assume collective guilt for the negative actions of a minority of individuals who don't represent them in recent times, to such an extent.

Last edited by hoffage123; Jan 8th 2015 at 12:25 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 12:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
I am confused as to what more you want the normal Muslim person to do - there are already sermons in the Mosques where terrorist behaviour is condemned and those people who do hold extremist views are reported and also shunned from the community. Muslim groups speak out and also behind the scenes work on programs to foster environments of mutual understanding, so that even if someone has unpleasant views, they are challenged. In short, they are doing all they can and more the vast majority of the time. I'm sorry that doesn't make the news or reassure you - maybe next time you drive past a mosque, think of going in and asking what actually goes on in there before you just assume people are being ostriches.

No other religious group has been asked to assume collective guilt for the negative actions of a minority of individuals who don't represent them in recent times, to such an extent.
What ever they are doing is ineffective. That's all I'm saying.

To those who made snide or obtuse comments that I suspect were directed, at least in part, at me, I was making observations and noting that immigration and integration policies have been ineffective over the past 50 years or so, and that something needs to be done. I certainly wasn't advocating violence, though I fear that maybe the result.

And to those who think I am ill-informed, I know rather more than most about islam and the politics of the Middle East and the islamic world. I worked for an Arab-owned business for a number of years, and they were some of the happiest years of my life work-wise. I worked with muslims, and most of the customers I met and assisted were muslims. Mid-career as I am, I have still to find a job I enjoy more. Since I left that job I have continued to follow Middle Eastern business and politics, and I have a number, probably a dozen or more, on the politics and history of the muslim countries in and around the Middle East.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 12:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

This was a disgusting act of terror, carried out on people who were guilty of nothing more than doing their job. We've seen it before many times by extremists of all flavours. This one just happened to be carried out by Islamic extremists, so it's natural the discussion will be weighted towards those who claim to act in the name of Mohammed, where in reality it is extremists of all kinds towards whom our ire should be directed. Authoritarianism in its many forms, is what we should be opposed to. Religion, all religions, is where we should direct our distaste and disrespect (in the words of Salman Rushdie above).

The people who died were merely exercising their right to free speech and expression, extended to them by virtue of the fact that they live in a supposedly free country such as France. Who cares if what they wrote 'offended' some fairytale believers? They didn't break the law of the land, only their set of rules made up by superstitious men who adapted various bronze age mythologies to suit their needs. It's utterly ridiculous in this day and age that people can't speak their minds without fear of some Spanish Inquisition style trial by ordeal coming from the god squads of the world.

Disgusting.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 12:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Religion, all religions, is where we should direct our distaste and disrespect (in the words of Salman Rushdie above).

Who cares if what they wrote 'offended' some fairytale believers? They didn't break the law of the land, only their set of rules made up by superstitious men who adapted various bronze age mythologies to suit their needs.

Disgusting.
Very well put.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think what I'm feeling is quite well-expressed here:

Massacre in Paris: Islamic Jihadists Come Home to Roost… -- The iPINIONS Journal

"It’s one thing to defy Islamic jihadists to expose human rights and other abuses Muslims perpetrate in the name of Islam – as Hirsi Ali and van Gogh did with their film. It’s quite another to do so merely to propagate caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad – as Charlie Hebdo and its celebrated cartoonists did with their cartoons. The former clearly informs and has undeniable redeeming social value; whereas the latter serves no purpose other than to provoke/offend Muslims (for the amusement of non-Muslims?)...this attack will have a galvanizing effect on anti-Muslim sentiments that are becoming epidemic across Europe."
I find it reversed for me, Van Gogh was a while ago, and a bit forgettable as it was not very well made, but in my memory it was a bit of a pseudo-documentary filled with little more than quotes and explosions.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
This was a disgusting act of terror, carried out on people who were guilty of nothing more than doing their job. We've seen it before many times by extremists of all flavours. This one just happened to be carried out by Islamic extremists, so it's natural the discussion will be weighted towards those who claim to act in the name of Mohammed, where in reality it is extremists of all kinds towards whom our ire should be directed. Authoritarianism in its many forms, is what we should be opposed to. Religion, all religions, is where we should direct our distaste and disrespect (in the words of Salman Rushdie above).

The people who died were merely exercising their right to free speech and expression, extended to them by virtue of the fact that they live in a supposedly free country such as France. Who cares if what they wrote 'offended' some fairytale believers? They didn't break the law of the land, only their set of rules made up by superstitious men who adapted various bronze age mythologies to suit their needs. It's utterly ridiculous in this day and age that people can't speak their minds without fear of some Spanish Inquisition style trial by ordeal coming from the god squads of the world.

Disgusting.
That's all well and good, and most of it agree with, but it's not a strategy for dealing with the problem because you can't tell people what not to believe any more than you can tell them what they should believe.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

That's all well and good, and most of it agree with, but it's not a strategy for dealing with the problem because you can't tell people what not to believe any more than you can tell them what they should believe.
There is no strategy to deal with it.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Disgust is not being shown to all religions.

People are heading down the same demonising route that led to the last world war.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't presented as such. I'm not authoritarian when it comes to religion, despite my opposition to it as an entity. People can be as free to practice their religious as much as they want, within the law. It's state sponsored protection of religions that I have an issue with.

When things like this happen, of course, I question even more why the hell people allow themselves to subscribe to such ridiculous ideologies without a single thought. At one point don't they think "Wait, God wants me to kill this person just because they don't think the same way I do? Isn't that wrong? No, God said so, so bugger the law, logic and reason, I must do it ..."
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:40 pm

All religions are not (so far as I know) killing people for drawing cartoons.

People are heading down the same demonising route that led to the last world war.
Agreed on this, and it wont go well.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:42 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Van Gogh was guilty of this, Charlie was not (to the best of my knowledge)
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I find it reversed for me, Van Gogh was a while ago, and a bit forgettable as it was not very well made, but in my memory it was a bit of a pseudo-documentary filled with little more than quotes and explosions.
Line of thinking that an attempt to look at issues has some value; a caricatured vaguely Arabic-type face or Muhammad's arse is in golliwog territory.

Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Abortion doctors.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:45 pm
I have a comma problem

In the 1500s, the Catholics would have, no question. The Islamist extremists now are no different than them. Interestingly, during that time, the Islamic world was one of enlightenment and scientific advancement.

It's the same stuff, just behind the banner of a different book. My point remains, in this day and age that any group of people would kill anyone under the banner of any mythology is just sad beyond words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.