Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 11th 2015, 3:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure I personally have a Government, have not voted for 15 or so years.

Realpolitik?

I recognise the need, just the way things are. You can discuss the extent.

I get confused when those for example of a left of centre position, women's rights etc etc support a totalitarian religion. Makes no sense to me.

A Government holding its nose and doing what is needed is more understandable.
I don't support any religion. A religion is a thing, it can't do anything. I support (and oppose) people and I get nervous when large swaths of people are getting blamed for events they had no knowledge of, no control over, and are just as disgusted with as I am.

It is a nuanced conversation and I've racked my brain for a way to talk about this where I wouldn't (within two posts) be accused of supporting something that I do not. It's impossible though because there are certain people who unfailingly, if you don't agree with their wholesale condemnation of 1.6 billion people, you get accused of defending terrorists.

I've posted on here for years about my opposition to the treatment of women in, in the name of religion, some of the most horrific situations you can possibly imagine. I've posted on here about my hatred of the burqua as well as all of the methods of men controlling women's bodies in currently existing societies.

I just wish people would use their brains. Two things can be true at once.

When Warren Jeffs was raping little girls and trafficking in human bodies ... where was the similar outrage against Mormons? Why didn't we hold Mitt Romney to task over all that? Because he had nothing to do with it, that's why.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to have lost my impressive reply.

Anyway you are assuming it is a tiny tiny number that hold a peverted interpretation of their religion.

I do not. All the evidence says otherwise.

Let us put it another way if it was the BNP or whoever of the same ilk does every member hold the most extreme views, obviously not.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Anyway you are assuming it is a tiny tiny number that hold a peverted interpretation of their religion.

I do not. All the evidence says otherwise. .....
Indeed. Numbers who have headed to Syria from the UK, Germany, France, the Netherlands and other Western European countries are already known to number many hundreds, and people continue to go. I presume that there are many more who either are preparing, aren't quite ready yet, or are providing support. Obviously the numbers are small compared to resident muslim populations of millions, but far greater than the extraordinarily rare cases of lunatics like Warren Jeffs.

Though to use WJ as an example of lunatic thinking, "behind" him there were hundreds of people who knew what was going on and who openly or tacitly supported him, or tolerated it. I have no doubt the math in respect of the jihadis heading to Syria and their supporter is comparable.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2015 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I don't support any religion. A religion is a thing, it can't do anything. I support (and oppose) people and I get nervous when large swaths of people are getting blamed for events they had no knowledge of, no control over, and are just as disgusted with as I am.

It is a nuanced conversation and I've racked my brain for a way to talk about this where I wouldn't (within two posts) be accused of supporting something that I do not. It's impossible though because there are certain people who unfailingly, if you don't agree with their wholesale condemnation of 1.6 billion people, you get accused of defending terrorists.
Then I guess we could say the same thing about the Germans and the Japanese during WWII. Although they may not have been directly complicit in the atrocities, they were willing subjects that turned a blind eye. When someone agrees with extremist's ideas, they are complicit.

I just wish people would use their brains. Two things can be true at once.

When Warren Jeffs was raping little girls and trafficking in human bodies ... where was the similar outrage against Mormons? Why didn't we hold Mitt Romney to task over all that? Because he had nothing to do with it, that's why.
Warren Jeff ran a cult that for about 100 years, the Mormon Church disavowed and had church laws in place against such practices. When the Mormon church was like the Warren Jeff cult, people were outraged at the Mormon church and that is what drove the church to Utah.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 11th 2015 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

Amusingly if it was unIslamic the sentence would be death.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Amusingly if it was unIslamic the sentence would be death.
With or without 72 virgins?
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

I think you miss out on those. Must be a bit of shortage anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:25 pm

Talking Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

I think you miss out on those. Must be a bit of shortage anyway.
Death and no virgins? That sentence seems a bit harsh for the religion of tolerance and peace.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how the landscape is going to look in 20 years...scary..
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:28 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Then I guess we could say the same thing about the Germans and the Japanese during WWII. Although they may not have been directly complicit in the atrocities, they were willing subjects that turned a blind eye. When someone agrees with extremist's ideas, they are complicit.
A Muslim employee of the Kosher market in Paris saved 15 people by hiding them in the basement, then helped the police to plan the raid.

Feel free to rush in to give Islam the credit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/wo...ge-crisis.html
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
A Muslim employee of the Kosher market in Paris saved 15 people by hiding them in the basement, then helped the police to plan the raid.

That was indeed admirable

However, certainly in my opinion, I question if the core teachings of some religions, including Islam, are antithetical to the society in which their practitioners exist.

And if they are..how can the disparity possibly be reconciled as to minimise conflict?
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to have lost my impressive reply.

Anyway you are assuming it is a tiny tiny number that hold a peverted interpretation of their religion.

I do not. All the evidence says otherwise.

Let us put it another way if it was the BNP or whoever of the same ilk does every member hold the most extreme views, obviously not.
No, I'm assuming that a tiny number are committing murder. There are likely many different interpretations of the religion but I don't have that data and neither do you.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

Whether one or millions oppose terrorists actions, it is the over all belief that much of it is justified that fuels the hatred and the terrorists. I'm sure there were good people in the Klan but that doesn't mean the Klan's philosophy was something that most people would consider as just different.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So how do we identify the radicals and eradicate them?

With the help of the community?
Through education?
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:43 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Michael
What? Most Germans and Japanese didn't have any choice in the matter. It's a good comparison, but not for the reason that you think.

Warren Jeff ran a cult that for about 100 years, the Mormon Church disavowed and had church laws in place against such practices. When the Mormon church was like the Warren Jeff cult, people were outraged at the Mormon church and that is what drove the church to Utah.
Since he's only about 60 years old that's actually pretty impressive. Again, you seem to be making my point, but mostly you're just rambling about things that are completely unrelated to my point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.