Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Bugs - anyone recognize?

Bugs - anyone recognize?

Old Sep 11th 2017, 1:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugs - anyone recognize?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
If they are indeed carpet beetles, this site (https://www.orkin.com/other/beetles/...mage-problems/) suggests it's the larvae that do the damage, not the adult visible beetles. Of course this is a 'pest control' website but they do seem fairly objective. I'm thinking of buying some boric acid powder, like this - https://www.amazon.com/Tranquility-P.../dp/B00IEQ70BO and then dusting around the perimeter of the house.
Boric acid works. We had carpet beetles a few years ago. After actively killing all the ones we could see, including the larvae, I dusted the entire inside perimeter of the house with the powder (took ****ing ages) and within a week or so, they had all but disappeared. Haven't seen any since.

I also try to encourage spiders to take up residence as well, since they are great at pest control.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:49 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I had carpet beetles in a house we rented in UK - had very old carpets. At first all I noticed was silvery trails across the carpet, thought maybe a snail or slug had hitched a ride on the dogs coat from garden. So wasted time looking for one of those! Turns out the larvae make these silvery trails as they munch through the fibres of the carpet.

I wouldn't have been too concerned, after all the carpet was ancient and not ours. But they will eat through lots of different organic fibres, like wool and books etc. So I had to get rid of them, by first hoovering up a pile of boric acid so it was in the machine and then hoovering everything - carpets, furniture (remember the backs against the walls), inside drawers and closets. I then sprinkled boric acid everywhere and then hoovered again a few days later. I then repeated it all one more time, just in case I missed some. I also thought about hiring a steam cleaner but that probably would have destroyed the carpet completely and hoovering and boric acid seemed to work. Although, as previously said, it took ages....

I also soaked some paper with a spray of essential oils and alcohol and once dry, scattered them through boxes of books, I sprayed the outside of the boxes too and in closets etc. It seemed to worked, nothing got chewed! Check out this list here - https://www.homeremedyhacks.com/11-e...arpet-beetles/

I always tend to try natural remedies as I have pets to consider.

And good luck, they really do damage
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:58 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Oh forgot to mention - boric acid can bleach things, so you might have to be careful on some surfaces or fabrics. Our carpet was pale and old so it didn't matter, but I tested it on the sofa and chairs first.....
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

I also try to encourage spiders to take up residence as well, since they are great at pest control.
I can send you some by mail. Our house is like a spider farm. One of the advantages of being so close to trees.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Diatomaceous earth is supposed to work too.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:11 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Diatomaceous earth is supposed to work too.
I just love the name of that stuff - sounds all wizardly and medieval!!
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
It works well on chickens to get rid of mites. I believe it is ground up dinosaurs or similar.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:23 pm
I have a comma problem

I never thought about that
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
SAMLA series - IKEA

I've used these for years. They have clips that fasten down everything nice and tightly and the largest one has castors.

I take them on camping trips. they load nicely with all the kitchen stuff and food in 2 different boxes,then on the return trip with the food box empty, I can nest them and save some space. Being see through is a bonus in the garage...
Thanks - I'll take a look at these next time I'm at IKEA.

Originally Posted by dakota44
That's 400+ choices ... I was kinda hoping for some kind of recommendation , one that you've used yourself with success. I've bought several in the past, and some don't sit well on top of each other, some don't stack within each other when empty, some don't have tight fitting lids, etc. I need to go to Home Depot today anyway, so I'll see what they have on the shelves ...
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think most of those are airtight...so bugs could still get in. For clothing and linens the Vacumn sealed bags are best. For things like books, photos...I'd put them in black bin liners...seal the bag...then put it in a Rubbermaid tote.
What are you using to do the vacuum sealing? I've only ever seen devices advertised on TV that you hook up to your vacuum cleaner ... is that what you are using?
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What are you using to do the vacuum sealing? I've only ever seen devices advertised on TV that you hook up to your vacuum cleaner ... is that what you are using?
Yes those are the ones. Costco sometimes have them...but you will be able to get them from Bed Bath and Beyond. They are good if you are short on space. Personally I would put them in a black bin liner...tie the top very tight...then tape it down.

What about fogging the condo? You also need to seal any gaps around doors, windows, pipework etc...but you probably know that. Unless the rugs are valuable I would bin them.

I hate bugs. Before my daughter went to uni...I read that the most common way roaches are introduced to the house is by students bringing their stuff back from college. Every year when she came home...I made sure every single item was sealed in black bin liners. Then they were put straight from the car into the garage...and everything was fogged...twice.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 11th 2017 at 5:09 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes those are the ones. Costco sometimes have them...but you will be able to get them from Bed Bath and Beyond. They are good if you are short on space. Personally I would put them in a black bin liner...tie the top very tight...then tape it down.

What about fogging the condo? You also need to seal any gaps around doors, windows, pipework etc...but you probably know that. Unless the rugs are valuable I would bin them.

I hate bugs. Before my daughter went to uni...I read that the most common way roaches are introduced to the house is by students bringing their stuff back from college. Every year when she came home...I made sure every single item was sealed in black bin liners. Then they were put straight from the car into the garage...and everything was fogged...twice.
Black bin liners are ok but you can't see what's inside them, and, they aren't terribly resilient so can easily get small holes torn in them. I'm keen on the idea of heavy clear plastic - I could see myself getting quite busy with such a tool! Does this look like something you have used? https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Space-.../dp/B00DMKZ3SY ? I did see somewhere that the seal only lasts a year or so; so if you highly compress a bunch of stuff, and place on shelves, what happens after a year or two - they bulge out?
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Black bin liners are ok but you can't see what's inside them, and, they aren't terribly resilient so can easily get small holes torn in them. I'm keen on the idea of heavy clear plastic - I could see myself getting quite busy with such a tool! Does this look like something you have used? https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Space-.../dp/B00DMKZ3SY ? I did see somewhere that the seal only lasts a year or so; so if you highly compress a bunch of stuff, and place on shelves, what happens after a year or two - they bulge out?
Yes they are the ones. I find that the seal doesn't work well after the first use. The bags fill with air if the seal breaks.

You are correct black plastic bags easily tear...that why in my previous post I suggested using them and then putting it in a tote type box. You can write a list of contents on a label and stick it on the outside.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:12 pm
Back in US & happy!

Another problem with a lot of black plastic bags is that these days many plastic bags are recyclable, so they fall apart after awhile. It takes time, but if you are storing for some time, they may not last the distance. Also mice will chew through bags if you have a problem with them.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Another problem with a lot of black plastic bags is that these days many plastic bags are recyclable, so they fall apart after awhile. It takes time, but if you are storing for some time, they may not last the distance. Also mice will chew through bags if you have a problem with them.
Not if they are in a hard plastic tote/box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.