British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   British vs. American spelling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/british-vs-american-spelling-935819/)

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 29th 2021 9:36 pm

Re: British vs. American spelling

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12965738)
I am imagining you saying that with a wonderful accent!!!! :rofl: But Buckinghamshire Boy says that he has always used the K sound, and going by his name he's from the sceptered isle . . .

:lol:

Yes, indeed I am from that place, but in Buckinghamshire we don't know stuff like that - or at least we didn't, back in my time - goodness knows what occurs there these days.

Just for a giggle, I wrote "SCHEDULE" on paper and asked OH and sis-in-law (both of Dutch mother tongue) to pronounce said word.

A controlled experiment, conducted in separate rooms, each unaware of the participation of their sibling.

OH - Skedule
SIL - Shedule

:confused:

moneypenny20 Jan 29th 2021 9:51 pm

I've always said skedyule because skool. I have never heard et. We speak proper in Hertfordshire!

S Folinsky Jan 29th 2021 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12965649)
Actually the largest lake in the Fingers Lake is Seneca Lake.

Senior moment on my part. Yes, the Finger Lakes are all XXXX Lake.

BristolUK Jan 29th 2021 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12965692)
Does it really? I’m gobsmacked! It never crossed my mind that a Brit would pronounce it any other way! Live and learn.

I've always said it as skedule, right back to my skooldays. :nod:

lizzyq Jan 29th 2021 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12965810)
I've always said it as skedule, right back to my skooldays. :nod:

We had a timetable, saved any pronunciation issues :getcoat:

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 29th 2021 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12965822)
We had a timetable, saved any pronunciation issues :getcoat:

She be right, arr. ;)

spouse of scouse Jan 30th 2021 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12965697)
Is that how you introduce him to people? Your Scouse Pom?

Nah, I just use his proper name. His accent's still strong so most people twig immediately that he's from the UK, and a few astute ones even get that he's a Scouser - mainly just other Scousers though :lol:

I am imagining you saying that with a wonderful accent!!!! :rofl: But Buckinghamshire Boy says that he has always used the K sound, and going by his name he's from the sceptered isle . . .

Ah I get you now, you were referring to our learned friend BB. Although I don't have quite the drawl that some Aussies do I've always thought my accent was straight-up Australian, until someone in a supermarket queue in Liverpool said 'you're not from around here are you, you're from the South'. And she didn't mean the southern hemisphere, she meant the south of England :huh:

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12965747)
I am interested in that expression "dinky-di" I know the meaning and have heard it often but what is the etymology ?

It's thought to be a diminutive of 'dinkum' or 'fair dinkum'. Some info:
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/fair-dinkum.html

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 30th 2021 12:47 pm

Coming back to this post ;) I'd been thinking this morning about "sceptered isle" and whether I would prefer to use "sceptred Isle"; in conclusion I'm ambivalent.

I'm not that familiar with Richard II, so spent a while bumbling around Wikipedia, and after a very short time arrived at this article. Some interesting stuff in there.

Nutmegger Jan 30th 2021 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12965966)
Coming back to this post ;) I'd been thinking this morning about "sceptered isle" and whether I would prefer to use "sceptred Isle"; in conclusion I'm ambivalent.

I'm not that familiar with Richard II, so spent a while bumbling around Wikipedia, and after a very short time arrived at this article. Some interesting stuff in there.

My pronunciation may not have "gone native," but my spelling obviously has!

robin1234 Feb 5th 2021 4:25 pm

Here’s an interesting one. Is it “flu,” or “the flu?”

See this quote from an article in The Atlantic Magazine.

We have so much COVID circulating here in Arizona,” says Erin Graf, the director of clinical microbiology at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. “I would have thought that if people can get COVID, people can get [the] flu.”

You’ll notice that the editor inserted “the” in square brackets before “flu,” meaning that Erin Graf actually said “people can get flu,” but the editor thought it should be “the flu.”

Why “the flu,” but not “the COVID?” I think this is an American thing, as far as I know, British people don’t usually stick the definite article before the name of a disease .... ?

kimilseung Feb 5th 2021 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12968491)
Here’s an interesting one. Is it “flu,” or “the flu?”

See this quote from an article in The Atlantic Magazine.

We have so much COVID circulating here in Arizona,” says Erin Graf, the director of clinical microbiology at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. “I would have thought that if people can get COVID, people can get [the] flu.”

You’ll notice that the editor inserted “the” in square brackets before “flu,” meaning that Erin Graf actually said “people can get flu,” but the editor thought it should be “the flu.”

Why “the flu,” but not “the COVID?” I think this is an American thing, as far as I know, British people don’t usually stick the definite article before the name of a disease .... ?

I would say, "a cold", and "the flu". Given how many variants of the flu there are, it does seem a tad silly.

robin1234 Feb 5th 2021 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12968493)
I would say, "a cold", and "the flu". Given how many variants of the flu there are, it does seem a tad silly.

Yes, true.

I used to put an apostrophe before words like flu, phone and bus, but I’ve abandoned that affectation.

lizzyq Feb 5th 2021 10:47 pm

I would say "the 'flu", but "influenza" without the definite article.

sid nv Feb 6th 2021 3:13 am

I think the definitive article would be appropriate when elaborating one's discomfort known as "shits". When one's stomach in in distress, a suitable prefix is desirable.

Lion in Winter Feb 6th 2021 4:48 pm

Isn't the article just the older English usage? I imagine to be Regency, somehow.